2019 Roster Discussion

What Position Should NYCFC Target For Its Splash Signing?

• Striker

Votes: 52 89.7%
  • Midfielder

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Defender

Votes: 3 5.2%

• Total voters
My point on Villa is that they didn't just blindly throw money at him. They scouted, they talked to him, they knew what they were getting.

I agree with you on Medina -- it's not feasible for any team aside from Atlanta to get Almiron-type players. No other team makes enough money. You can't expect CFG to spend $15M on a player if revenues don't support it.

I'm not a fan of CFG either, but they have spent ample money on this team, and they brought in good players. Hell, we were a championship-level team last year before Vieira left. I'm not sure how people can say they're not investing enough in the team when we built one of the best teams in the league last year.

If they don't reinvest money back in, then we can complain. Nothing's happened this offseason yet, let's give them a chance to execute their offseason plan.

The rumors were that cfg wanted lampard to be the face of the team that failed so they went with villa until lampard came in. Also soriano has Barcelona ties so that helped I’m sure to convince him to come. I guess I’ll have to be fair and wait and see who the new DP is to see if the way cfg way will continue.

Yes some non DP signings have been excellent( ring, Chanot, issi for example) this whole talk is DP players and how I think cfg won’t go to boca juniors and say I want player x and willing to pay 15 million for him

PV messes stuff up a bit, any coach coming in wouldnof struggled but to me it’s make or break year for dome to see what he can do, he theoretically has a say on what he wants for players to come in and he has full preseason to try and get his ideas in.

Reactions: adam
Maxi had a bad first season here, too -- let's give Medina another year before we call him a bust.

And with Atlanta -- they averaged what, 50,000 fans a game? We averaged half of that. Let's assume they're making double what we are on ticket sales. Let's also assume they're making more on their TV deal because they get better ratings than we do. Let's assume they're making double what we are on merchandise (it's probably a much larger gap, if we're being honest). There are a ton of reasons they can afford to spend more on players, and it's not because of Arthur Blank's generosity.

I was in the boat to give maxi second year to see what he can do and he seems to have delivered and Medina i think same, kid just turning 22?too. Thing is is that everyone here compares to Atlanta and how they hit the ground running, and everyone wants to be them.

Our attendance sucks too because it’s YS and people are getting tired of it and no stadium in sight that also falls on cfg. I don’t know what tv deal you talking about? The espn/fs1 was already set and thats mls wide and I dont Know about their regional one but I don’t think it’s millions upon millions of dollars.
You right Atlanta don’t pay rent so maybe net they make couple million a game? Consessions are ultra cheap from what I hear. I’m just still not convinced it’s not Arthur’s wallet.

The rumors were that cfg wanted lampard to be the face of the team that failed so they went with villa until lampard came in. Also soriano has Barcelona ties so that helped I’m sure to convince him to come. I guess I’ll have to be fair and wait and see who the new DP is to see if the way cfg way will continue.

Yes some non DP signings have been excellent( ring, Chanot, issi for example) this whole talk is DP players and how I think cfg won’t go to boca juniors and say I want player x and willing to pay 15 million for him

PV messes stuff up a bit, any coach coming in wouldnof struggled but to me it’s make or break year for dome to see what he can do, he theoretically has a say on what he wants for players to come in and he has full preseason to try and get his ideas in.

My point on your example is that our team doesn't make enough money to justify a signing like that. Yes CFG has bottomless pockets, but why should they spent that much if they're never going to be able to recoup it? Listen, I believe they should bring in a good DP, but Atlanta for numerous reasons is shopping in a different mall than we are.

And yes I was talking about Atlanta's regional deal, though I was just making an assumption based off their seemingly-huge fanbase.

My point on your example is that our team doesn't make enough money to justify a signing like that. Yes CFG has bottomless pockets, but why should they spent that much if they're never going to be able to recoup it? Listen, I believe they should bring in a good DP, but Atlanta for numerous reasons is shopping in a different mall than we are.

And yes I was talking about Atlanta's regional deal, though I was just making an assumption based off their seemingly-huge fanbase.
You also have to invest in order to grow. Or in our case, invest in order to break even. However, I think they see MLS as a slow-growth league / long play and don't want to lead the pack so early in its trajectory.

Its just an abitary number he picked that Medina and whatever DP we sign will probably never meet. Vela and Rossi were the top CAM/winger DP combo in the league with 26 goals. No one would say that either are a waste of a DP spot because they didn't get 30 goals.

I think you’re missing my point.

The point isn’t what the production of the top CAM/Winger DP combination was. The point is, what was the top DP/DP combination last year?

Reactions: Kjbert
It would be interesting, at least. Can you explain your reasoning? One or two young DPs is one thing, but I think we’d want at least one sure fire producer and star.

For the price of one $5 million DP, we can have three high quality players for the same cap hit but less actual cost. For example:

PLAYER / COST / CAP HIT
Medina / $600k / $200k (DP)
Ring / $550k + $400k DTAM / $150k
Diomande / $850k + $700k DTAM / $150k
TOTAL: $3.1mm / $500k

PLAYER / COST / CAP HIT
Villa / $6mm / $500k (DP)
TOTAL: $6mm / $500k

If you do that for all three DP spots, you have a roster with three young DPs, six players on TAM, and a handful more with leftover TAM/GAM and standard $200k-300k salaries that can be very good contributors. I think that's better roster construction with more depth and fewer holes.

And keep in mind, we can target young DPs even better than Medina if we choose to (e.g. Barco) at no additional cap hit or allocation money cost. If we really wanted to spend the money, spend it there.

EDIT: I should have emphasized that the nine TAM/DP players under the plan above only cost $1.5 million against the cap of about $4 million. That means you can sign 10 more players averaging $250k each and still be below the cap. Imagine an 18 where everyone is a $200k+ quality player.

Last edited:
For the price of one $5 million DP, we can have three high quality players for the same cap hit but less actual cost. For example:

PLAYER / COST / CAP HIT
Medina / $600k / $200k (DP)
Ring / $550k + $400k DTAM / $150k
Diomande / $850k + $700k DTAM / $150k
TOTAL: $3.1mm / $500k

PLAYER / COST / CAP HIT
Villa / $6mm / $500k (DP)
TOTAL: $6mm / $500k

If you do that for all three DP spots, you have a roster with three young DPs, six players on TAM, and a handful more with leftover TAM/GAM and standard $200k-300k salaries that can be very good contributors. I think that's better roster construction with more depth and fewer holes.

And keep in mind, we can target young DPs even better than Medina if we choose to (e.g. Barco) at no additional cap hit or allocation money cost. If we really wanted to spend the money, spend it there.
I agree with your strategy but it has one flaw....we need to be able to attract the young DP players. David Villa was a selling point, Frank Lampard probably got us Jack Harrison and maybe even PV was a good draw. I'm not confident that Dome is much of a draw to young high profile players.
Atlanta had Tata, and now has a great overall operation which can draw these players, we are in a baseball stadium with declining attendance. Our only draw is the potential implied benefits of being in the CFG family. A big icon who young players idolized when they were teenagers can give us a hand.

Rumor has it Mousa Dembele is thinking of making a leave from the EPL due to the EPL's speed catching up to him. Thoughts on bringing him in to replace Herrera? I know he'd obviously need a DP signing, but if it's true that the DP amount is going to increase, then we could probably buy down Medina or Maxi and still have room for that third DP slot.
Regardless, thoughts on bringing him in? I think he would be a great replacement, and Dembele-Max-Ring would be a really scary midfield.

I agree with your strategy but it has one flaw....we need to be able to attract the young DP players. David Villa was a selling point, Frank Lampard probably got us Jack Harrison and maybe even PV was a good draw. I'm not confident that Dome is much of a draw to young high profile players.
Atlanta had Tata, and now has a great overall operation which can draw these players, we are in a baseball stadium with declining attendance. Our only draw is the potential implied benefits of being in the CFG family. A big icon who young players idolized when they were teenagers can give us a hand.
I agree with this post with one major exception bolded above.

Frank Lampard had nothing to do with Jack Harrison. He was a drafted player with a very close relationship with Claudio Reyna from his youth club days.

I agree with this post with one major exception bolded above.
Frank Lampard had nothing to do with Jack Harrison. He was a drafted player with a very close relationship with Claudio Reyna from his youth club days.
Jack Harrison chose to come to NYCFC. Yes he was drafted, but he signed at the last minute and it seemed pretty clear that he signed knowing he was going to us. I'm obviously reading between the lines quite a bit and could be totally wrong, but I got the feeling that he signed because he was able to play with Lampard (and Pirlo, Villa, and New York as well played a role for sure)

Jack Harrison chose to come to NYCFC. Yes he was drafted, but he signed at the last minute and it seemed pretty clear that he signed knowing he was going to us. I'm obviously reading between the lines quite a bit and could be totally wrong, but I got the feeling that he signed because he was able to play with Lampard (and Pirlo, Villa, and New York as well played a role for sure)
Where has it been reported that he signed at the last minute? The most "last minute" signing by the league prior to the draft was Brandon Vincent, though he was not Generation Adidas.

And while we attempted the homegrown claim on him that failed, we were pretty close to not getting him. Reyna has been quoted as thinking that NYC had no chance of getting him at all. I would imagine Jack would know there's a high possibility that he may not end up in NYC, when there were 3 teams picking ahead of us.

Rumor has it Mousa Dembele is thinking of making a leave from the EPL due to the EPL's speed catching up to him. Thoughts on bringing him in to replace Herrera? I know he'd obviously need a DP signing, but if it's true that the DP amount is going to increase, then we could probably buy down Medina or Maxi and still have room for that third DP slot.
Regardless, thoughts on bringing him in? I think he would be a great replacement, and Dembele-Max-Ring would be a really scary midfield.
As a Spurs supporter I would be fully on board with this. Imagine the strength in midfield. Would be hard as hell.