2019 Roster Discussion

What Position Should NYCFC Target For Its Splash Signing?

• Striker

Votes: 52 89.7%
  • Midfielder

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Defender

Votes: 3 5.2%

• Total voters
Here's my concern. If NYCFC told Villa they wanted to lower his salary to non-DP levels, they should have done so already having a replacement player in mind. If they jumped into this shark tank saying, "Well, we don't know who we're going to get with this DP slot, but we're confident it'll be someone good" then I'm going to be very wary.

I think we'll know what the real case is depending on whether someone is signed relatively quickly. If this goes into mid-January and we still don't have a DP yet, then we should be concerned about what the plan was for Villa's DP slot. Because depending on who they sign, there's a pretty good chance they would have been better off with one more year of Villa.

Reactions: gbservis
Here's my concern. If NYCFC told Villa they wanted to lower his salary to non-DP levels, they should have done so already having a replacement player in mind. If they jumped into this shark tank saying, "Well, we don't know who we're going to get with this DP slot, but we're confident it'll be someone good" then I'm going to be very wary.

I think we'll know what the real case is depending on whether someone is signed relatively quickly. If this goes into mid-January and we still don't have a DP yet, then we should be concerned about what the plan was for Villa's DP slot. Because depending on who they sign, there's a pretty good chance they would have been better off with one more year of Villa.
I find it impressive how you went into the future to use hindsight.

47206188_573731329756109_4036644185879609344_n.jpg

Chanot is the big shocker here and leaves a big hole at CB.

Everything is else is pretty much as expected, the only eyebrow raising one is bringing back Stuver. Ofori is the other mild surprise.

And just like that - there is not a single player left from NYCFC’s opening day 18 from four years ago.

Chanot's a little bit of a surprise but with potentially Houtondji/Callens/Ibeagha that's a pretty good set with Sweat in an absolute emergency situation.
Why would we make Abdul-Salaam an offer when we couldn't be assed giving him a chance last year??

Reactions: Kjbert

Everything is else is pretty much as expected, the only eyebrow raising one is bringing back Stuver. Ofori is the other mild surprise.

And just like that - there is not a single player left from NYCFC’s opening day 18 from four years ago.

i know there was i think murmurs chanot wanting to go back to europe i think last year but nothing came of it. UNLESS it has to do with what ever his personal situation was and wants to go back to europe closer to home.

HUGE loss regardless

Eh, not really a shock. Writing was on the walls for over a year. Remember the rumors of how he wanted to go back to Europe last year, then he came out and said "I intend on seeing this contract through." and left it at that? Kinda knew he was leaving from that point on.

The following players are under contract for the 2019 season:

Goalkeeper (3): Sean Johnson, Brad Stuver, Jeff Caldwell
Defender (7): Anton Tinnerholm, Joe Scally, Sebastien Ibeagha, Cedric Hountondji, Alex Callens, Ronald Matarrita, Ben Sweat
Midfielders (5): Alex Ring, James Sands, Maxi Moralez, Daniel Bedoya, Jesus Medina
Forwards (4): Jo Inge Berget, Valentin Castellanos, Ismael Tajouri-Shradi, Jonathan Lewis

Wow, we have some work to do. Striker, winger, two center mids, left back and depth at center back? I know we need to play the kids, but if Scally, Sands, and Lewis get a lot of playing time next year while Berget is our featured striker, we are going to be on the border of making the playoffs.