2019 Roster Discussion

What Position Should NYCFC Target For Its Splash Signing?

• Striker

Votes: 52 89.7%
  • Midfielder

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Defender

Votes: 3 5.2%

• Total voters
The following players are under contract for the 2019 season:

Goalkeeper (3): Sean Johnson, Brad Stuver, Jeff Caldwell
Defender (7): Anton Tinnerholm, Joe Scally, Sebastien Ibeagha, Cedric Hountondji, Alex Callens, Ronald Matarrita, Ben Sweat
Midfielders (5): Alex Ring, James Sands, Maxi Moralez, Daniel Bedoya, Jesus Medina
Forwards (4): Jo Inge Berget, Valentin Castellanos, Ismael Tajouri-Shradi, Jonathan Lewis

Wow, we have some work to do. Striker, winger, two center mids, left back and depth at center back? I know we need to play the kids, but if Scally, Sands, and Lewis get a lot of playing time next year while Berget is our featured striker, we are going to be on the border of making the playoffs.

i still preferred Rawls being there as backup due to his good season at USL but guess thats not happening.

Reactions: Kjbert
The following players are under contract for the 2019 season:

Goalkeeper (3): Sean Johnson, Brad Stuver, Jeff Caldwell
Defender (7): Anton Tinnerholm, Joe Scally, Sebastien Ibeagha, Cedric Hountondji, Alex Callens, Ronald Matarrita, Ben Sweat
Midfielders (5): Alex Ring, James Sands, Maxi Moralez, Daniel Bedoya, Jesus Medina
Forwards (4): Jo Inge Berget, Valentin Castellanos, Ismael Tajouri-Shradi, Jonathan Lewis

Wow, we have some work to do. Striker, winger, two center mids, left back and depth at center back? I know we need to play the kids, but if Scally, Sands, and Lewis get a lot of playing time next year while Berget is our featured striker, we are going to be on the border of making the playoffs.
We are rumored to be connected with a CB that Callens plays with for Peru so that could help solve the CB issues.

I'd actually be okay seeing what Sands can do in the middle playing with Ring and Maxi. I know Dome likes to use dual number 10's in the mid, so maybe he'll push Ring up more and have Sands play the CDM role. Have Sands be the sweeper in front of the back line and have Ring and Maxi go box to box. Could also slide Medina into a number 10 role and have Ring play his normal CDM spot.

I'd like to think they are going to make a move for some sort of pure striker to play up top. ITS and Tati on the wings will be fine. ITS proved himself last year and the skill is there from Tati, he just needs more playing time to adjust. If Berger King is alone up top, then I'll be worried and concerned.

Bedoya got 0 minutes. I think he made the 18 once. I realize he costs less than a latte, but -- he must be a highly energetic practice player or something.

They also signed him late in the year. From the reports he tore our first team a new a-hole in the closed scrimmage. This season was probably ‘you got skills, now sit and watch for a few months how the big boys do it’. Now he has an off season with the team to see where he can fit in.

They also signed him late in the year. From the reports he tore our first team a new a-hole in the closed scrimmage. This season was probably ‘you got skills, now sit and watch for a few months how the big boys do it’. Now he has an off season with the team to see where he can fit in.
can cofirm the report

so not the scrimmage that the fans went to vs LI rough riders?

Reactions: Kjbert
I am hoping the Chanot move was a courtesy to him so he can free transfer back to Europe. He was a baller for us. Left me with a great memory at the end of the Atlanta game keeping us in the playoff series.

Otherwise I am happy with the moves -- hopefully they see Sands as replacing Ofori 1 for 1.

so not the scrimmage that the fans went to vs LI rough riders?

It may have been. I just remember the podcasts discussing it after the signing. He scored 2 goals. And was by far the best player on the pitch that day. Makes me think he’s and 8 or a 10. Exactly what we need for depth. I hope he pans out.

I am hoping the Chanot move was a courtesy to him so he can free transfer back to Europe. He was a baller for us. Left me with a great memory at the end of the Atlanta game keeping us in the playoff series.

Otherwise I am happy with the moves -- hopefully they see Sands as replacing Ofori 1 for 1.

i want to also believe its due to whatever his personal issues were during season and wants to be closer to home

Reactions: Sabo
Everything is else is pretty much as expected, the only eyebrow raising one is bringing back Stuver. Ofori is the other mild surprise.

From the behind the scenes video Stuver seems like a very good locker room glue guy type player, kind of pricy to keep around for that but could have been the reason. I think Ofori is super expensive when we tried to sign him 2 years ago they are talking DP level, which would have been a disaster. My understanding is the only reason he was not a DP this year was because his old club was eating a ton of his wages as part of the loan deal because he was essentially a bust in Germany.

Why would we make Abdul-Salaam an offer when we couldn't be assed giving him a chance last year??

We have to make an offer to keep Abdul-Salaam's rights. He's a young serviceable MLS back up, might as well keep his rights as a trade chip even if he's not in the plans moving forward.

It may have been. I just remember the podcasts discussing it after the signing. He scored 2 goals. And was by far the best player on the pitch that day. Makes me think he’s and 8 or a 10. Exactly what we need for depth. I hope he pans out.
he's an 8, 10 and can play on the wings... last season he played most of the season on the wings before signing

Hot take, unsubstantiated, claim of the day that will 100% not come true: Gio Renya now signs as a homegrown and stays with the club taking over for Villa.
That discussed in the Pirlo conference room this morning over coffee/donuts?

Reactions: Schwallacus