2019 Roster Discussion

What Position Should NYCFC Target For Its Splash Signing?

• Striker

Votes: 52 89.7%
  • Midfielder

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Defender

Votes: 3 5.2%

• Total voters
maybe some South American teams were looking to sign Yangel, but were turned down

i dont think any south american team can think they can afford to buy someone off CFG unless they were close to ending contract ( which i dont know the CFG deal herrera has) plus he has no hype so i dont think thats it

Reactions: Christopher Jee
So we’d have a semi decent DP, and 2 ‘young’ DP’s that aren’t a full salary hit? One of whom can’t even make the 11 on a consistent basis... yeah attendance will be great next year.

Reactions: hatt91 and adam
So we’d have a semi decent DP, and 2 ‘young’ DP’s that aren’t a full salary hit? One of whom can’t even make the 11 on a consistent basis... yeah attendance will be great next year.
I know the point of this post is to say how ridiculous Herrera as a DP is (and I agree with you), while also pointing out that Medina has not been playing at a DP-level (and I agree with you).

But saying Maxi is only semi-decent seems way off.

if this all comes true, then its really concerning there are no strikers on this team, and they are not cheap...so what the hell is the plan there?

Reactions: Christopher Jee
if this all comes true, then its really concerning there are no strikers on this team, and they are not cheap...so what the hell is the plan there?

Just from guys I've seen get cut in the last couple days, Marco Ureña and Jack McBean would only run you about $360k. That would give you enough depth to figure out whether you wanted to burn a DP slot at center forward or speculate on some young striker from Latin America or the draft.

https://www.nycfc.com/post/2018/11/28/villaforever-david-villa-departs-new-york-city-football-club

Long article, lots of quotes from Villa. It creates the appearance, at the least, that he departs on good terms and without rancor.

Also:
"We’ll be holding a special farewell event for City Members to pay tribute to David in New York City on Monday December 3. Members, keep watching your inboxes for information on how to attend and show your love to David on social media using the #VillaForever hashtag."

giphy.gif

Just from guys I've seen get cut in the last couple days, Marco Ureña and Jack McBean would only run you about $360k. That would give you enough depth to figure out whether you wanted to burn a DP slot at center forward or speculate on some young striker from Latin America or the draft.

none of that sounds convincing, granted a striker in DP is no guarantee either but at least i see them trying to get something useful there. The other options just feel like we want to go on budget.

Reactions: Kjbert