2019 Roster Discussion

What Position Should NYCFC Target For Its Splash Signing?

• Striker

Votes: 52 89.7%
  • Midfielder

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Defender

Votes: 3 5.2%

• Total voters
He played 3 MLS minutes since last March.
Right. Which is surprising. The guy was SKC's defender of the year in 2016 - and that's a team known for its defense. Then Zusi got moved to RB, so his minutes diminished and he became expendable. He then sat behind Tinnerholm. I am convinced the guy can play, and he's still only 27.

Gotham Gator Gotham Gator i think you need to include Rocha in your depth at FB. He will provide cover on both sides to start the season.

I would not be shocked to see Scally supplant him as your second choice RB and earn minutes this year if necessary.

Hot take incoming - Joe Scally will he called into a Senior MNT Camp before Sands. I think he may end up being the starting RB at the World Cup 2026.
Sergino Dest asks why you think he’ll be injured?

Because ain’t no chance Scally beats him out, even if Berhalter screws it up and calls Scally up first.

But I don’t see that happening. Dest is the starting RB at Jong Ajax (plays in erstedivisie, not youth league) and looks to be at worst #2 at RB for Ajax next year while battling for the starter spot. And he’s only 18.

As for Sands, I think his ceiling is a tam MLS starter on the level of like a Roldan, so I agree Scally has better hopes. I just hope to God we aren’t calling up players at the Roldan level by 2026. Who is going to displace in the midfield even among kids his age? Unless we get great and he becomes Xabi Alonso, I don’t see it. Not as athletic as other options as a CDM, not big enough to play CB.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kjbert
The $50k for Saad Abdul-Salaam is in line with what I expected, but I can't help but think of how it's the culmination of a story that's the opposite of one of those swap stories where someone starts with a paperclip and ends up with a Lamborghini.

1. NYCFC could have had first pick in the 2015 Super Draft,* and potentially Cyle Larin but instead chose allocation order
  2. which led to Mix Diskerud, who either underperformed or was poorly used but was a waste either way
  3. and NYC with the second pick in the Super Draft chose Khiry Shelton
  4. who was traded straight up for SAS
  5. who was dealt for $50k GAM.

* Choosing allocation over Super Draft is not the brain lock mistake where Kries named the wrong preference later on in the process. That actually was much less important. OTOH our brain trust might have picked Khiry anyway.

Last edited:
The $50k for Saad Abdul-Salaamis in line with what I expected, but I can't help but think of how it's the culmination of a story that's the opposite of one of those swap stories where someone starts with a paperclip and ends up with a Lamborghini.

1. NYCFC could have had first pick in the 2015 Super Draft,* and potentially Cyle Larin but instead chose allocation order
  2. which led to Mix Diskerud, who either underperformed or was poorly used but was a waste either way
  3. and NYC with the second pick in the Super Draft chose Khiry Shelton
  4. who was traded straight up for SAS
  5. who was dealt for $50k GAM.

* Choosing allocation over Super Draft is not the brain lock mistake where Kries named the wrong preference later on in the process. That actually was much less important. OTOH our brain trust might have picked Khiry anyway.
Khiry went to Europe on a free transfer, so we’d have gotten nothing for him anyway when his contract was up. But holy hell that’s some malpractice by our front office. Almost as bad as the Metrostars selecting Steve Shak 1st overall in 2000.

Khiry went to Europe on a free transfer, so we’d have gotten nothing for him anyway when his contract was up. But holy hell that’s some malpractice by our front office. Almost as bad as the Metrostars selecting Steve Shak 1st overall in 2000.
Yeah, trading Khiry for SAS->$50k was possibly a net positive, though I wonder if we could have gotten more than $50k for Khiry straight up last year. We got close to zero value out of SAS, though that's not necessarily his fault.

Lest we forget all the things Larin did outside of the club. I'd rather have had that shit 2015 season over the distraction and disrespect he brought to the team and locker room during his time in Orlando. Khiry made the playoffs

Sergino Dest asks why you think he’ll be injured?

Because ain’t no chance Scally beats him out, even if Berhalter screws it up and calls Scally up first.

But I don’t see that happening. Dest is the starting RB at Jong Ajax (plays in erstedivisie, not youth league) and looks to be at worst #2 at RB for Ajax next year while battling for the starter spot. And he’s only 18.

As for Sands, I think his ceiling is a tam MLS starter on the level of like a Roldan, so I agree Scally has better hopes. I just hope to God we aren’t calling up players at the Roldan level by 2026. Who is going to displace in the midfield even among kids his age? Unless we get great and he becomes Xabi Alonso, I don’t see it. Not as athletic as other options as a CDM, not big enough to play CB.

All great points. Very excited to see Dest. Hopefully at the U20 WC.

I think Scally is a different type of player. The USYNT guys absolutely love him. Think he was the jewel of our Academy not named Gio.

I agree with you on the ceiling for Sands. If he ends up being a Trapp/Roldan/Lletget love player that’s still a big deal for MLS.

And regarding a future at CB, he’s still only 18. Let’s see what he looks like at 21. I remember John Stones at 19. Significant transformation.

Reactions: adam and Ulrich
Yeah, trading Khiry for SAS->$50k was possibly a net positive, though I wonder if we could have gotten more than $50k for Khiry straight up last year. We got close to zero value out of SAS, though that's not necessarily his fault.
Right.

Plus, it's worth noting the similar things the front office has gotten right, like trading up for Jack Harrison, getting two great years out of him and then flipping him for $750K in GAM. Meanwhile, the guy we traded to Chicago for Jack (along with $350K in GAM) has retired from the league.

Right.

Plus, it's worth noting the similar things the front office has gotten right, like trading up for Jack Harrison, getting two great years out of him and then flipping him for $750K in GAM. Meanwhile, the guy we traded to Chicago for Jack (along with $350K in GAM) has retired from the league.
The flip side is Awuah and the money used to trade up for him with nothing to show for it when he left.

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
Also the money used to acquire Lewis that was flushed down the toilet...
Perhaps not if he is actually played this season. But if I was him, I’d play my heart out this year, get interest from abroad/another team, and transfer out while telling NYCFC to Fck off.

The club may have wanted him to become a better defensive player, but not playing him for two years stunted his offensive growth potential. Some of his most formulative years spent on the bench.

Reactions: Yankeedom and adam
Perhaps not if he is actually played this season. But if I was him, I’d play my heart out this year, get interest from abroad/another team, and transfer out while telling NYCFC to Fck off.

The club may have wanted him to become a better defensive player, but not playing him for two years stunted his offensive growth potential. Some of his most formulative years spent on the bench.

It was still wasted money no matter who was at fault.

Galaxy have until midnight to get into roster compliance. In reading Paul Tenorio’s Tweets, it sounds like they’re basically going to play chicken with the league.

If the Galaxy are able to play with 4 DPs, or if there is some magical rule change, does anyone here believe we would take advantage of more GAM, TAM, 4th DP, higher TAM threshold etc?

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Galaxy have until midnight to get into roster compliance. In reading Paul Tenorio’s Tweets, it sounds like they’re basically going to play chicken with the league.

If the Galaxy are able to play with 4 DPs, or if there is some magical rule change, does anyone here believe we would take advantage of more GAM, TAM, 4th DP, higher TAM threshold etc?

Isn't Dallas doing the same?

That Tenorio thread is worth reading. Here is the first post.

I find it hard to believe the league will rubber stamp after Garber came out and said publicly that LA will not get any breaks, but I guess we can't put anything past MLS.