2020 & 2021 Season Ticket Thread

For STHs: If NYCFC hosts 0 matches at YS/CF in 2020, which would you prefer?

• Complete Refund

Votes: 18 62.1%
  • Credit to 2021 Season

Votes: 11 37.9%

• Total voters
Anybody wanna wager this is a game of chicken the club is playing. If people are pissed off and cancel their tix, the club keeps the money. If all is paid and no season happens, then the club has to refund. Really wonder if this is a Fcking head shake moment where they’re hoping to trap people with the small print.

I’m sure my AMEX will eventually get involved to recoup this season’s invoices. Trying to figure out best way forward - I bet the form that has to be filled out also has small print attached working in their favor. Need to deal with this tonight.

the form is very short. basically, name, number, email. small print just says you agree to defer til may and april will be divided up across the remaining payments.

as you said, if there is no season, they will need to refund everyone's payments. keeping the money would be, imho, in violation of their own membership agreement because they are unable to reschedule games within the permitted time (which is escaping me right now).

I wouldn't cancel your season tickets. The club will keep what you've paid in your account and the only way to use that money is to contact a rep and use it to purchase tickets to games. How easy this is, I'm not sure. My brother in law cancelled his season tickets last year, but not before paying a few months worth. Now his money is stuck in the account and he claims he hasn't been able to get a hold of a rep to use it on tickets.. tbf, he's not very patient.

Reactions: NYCFC_Dan
I didn’t get an email - did anyone else not get one? And is it midnight tonight or tomorrow night? This is absolutely egregious.

[QUOTE="mgarbowski, post: 306535, mem
Tomorrow nigh
[/QUOTE
Thanks. Wonder why some have not received the note. This is really gross.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
This is the form, but I removed an addendum to the address that included my account number (and some other characters). This will take you to the form but I don’t know if it will work right. There’s no place on the form to add your account number and they’ll have to match the info you input to your account manually.

Reactions: JayH
On the same day this email goes out.

Garber basically said we ain't playing a 34 game season and if we do much of it will be behind closed doors.

Fuck this club. As they were drafting this email, they surely had to have had discussions with the league and they know they can't deliver 17 home games this year. Why not at the very least suspend payments until something official comes out. This just gets worse and worse.

Last edited:

Garber basically said we ain't playing a 34 game season and if we do much of it will be behind closed doors.

Fuck this club. As they were drafting this email, they surely had to have had discussions with the league and they know they can't deliver 17 home games this year. Why not at the very least suspend payments until something official comes out. This just gets worse and worse.
It’s fraud at this point - if the league is saying one thing, but the Team is saying they’re in close contact with MLS while presenting something radically different, then it’s fraud - they aren’t communicating with the league and Cuomo isn’t letting spectator sports happen in NYS, and he hasn’t greenlit anything.

Reactions: Vallos

This is hilarious. Either (1) NYCFC management is both completely incompetent and dishonest, or (2) MLS withheld information from NYCFC and hung them out to dry.

That's the thing. Any reasonable interpretation is that there's no way in hell they are playing 17 home games, and all of them with fans. It's just not happening. Delaying payments is just that -- it is of course perfectly reasonable for them to charge you the full rate if they play 17 home games. I understand why they publicly have to say they still want to play every game, but they know in practice that they are not. Is the team that starved for cash that they need to do this?

Now, that being said -- If the games are canceled or played without fans, you will get your money back. (Or have it moved to next year's payments). Either way, you'll be made whole. Whether it's this year or next year, you will pay what you get. Is it cold-blooded? Yes. Are we overblowing it a little? Yes. Both things can be true.

That's the thing. Any reasonable interpretation is that there's no way in hell they are playing 17 home games, and all of them with fans. It's just not happening. Delaying payments is just that -- it is of course perfectly reasonable for them to charge you the full rate if they play 17 home games. I understand why they publicly have to say they still want to play every game, but they know in practice that they are not. Is the team that starved for cash that they need to do this?

Now, that being said -- If the games are canceled or played without fans, you will get your money back. (Or have it moved to next year's payments). Either way, you'll be made whole. Whether it's this year or next year, you will pay what you get. Is it cold-blooded? Yes. Are we overblowing it a little? Yes. Both things can be true.
Bullshit. That premise is that people want to go to games next year. Until there’s a Fcking vaccine, how many spectators are gonna risk it??? I’m not. So without a refund, I’m not going to be made whole. Hell, It’s not even confirmed that antibodies protect against infection. NYCFC is a train wreck after today - they are so out of touch with New York City - they’ve never ever tried to make the teams part of the city’s culture, and this grift today shows they don’t understand what the city is going through.

Bullshit. That premise is that people want to go to games next year. Until there’s a Fcking vaccine, how many spectators are gonna risk it??? I’m not. So without a refund, I’m not going to be made whole. Hell, It’s not even confirmed that antibodies protect against infection. NYCFC is a train wreck after today - they are so out of touch with New York City - they’ve never ever tried to make the teams part of the city’s culture, and this grift today shows they don’t understand what the city is going through.

That is true about not wanting to go to games, and you are certainly not alone there.

I'm not sure I agree on your point that they haven't tried to get into the city's culture. But you're right that this is a sign they are massively out of touch with their fanbase.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
That is true about not wanting to go to games, and you are certainly not alone there.

I'm not sure I agree on your point that they haven't tried to get into the city's culture. But you're right that this is a sign they are massively out of touch with their fanbase.
This team could be picked up and dropped into any other city out there and they’d be anchored the same to it - nothing about them screams NYC save for their name. There’s no cultural tie ins. And now this - they’re truly just squatting their image as a NYC team.

Reactions: adam

For me it's communications again, and again, and again.

I'm not upset they're giving everyone a choice between being charged or deferring. I understand some people didn't like the deferral because it means bigger payments later. And I'm not too worked up that they went with the default being you get charged. I can think of logistical reasons for that.

But that email, with the talk of a complete season, was absurd. Everyone at NYCFC knew it was false when it was sent. Every STH knew it was false when received. What can possibly be gained from that? We like to throw the word "fraud" around, and I do too sometimes, but fraud does not even come into play because fraud requires that the communication deceive someone into relying on it. This had no chance. That it was proven false by Garber in less than 24 hours is peak NYCFC.

I wish we had kept a good, easily findable list of all the poor communications in club history. Off the top of my head I can come up with: Lampard, telling STHs in 2016 the club was not going to drop paper printed tickets 24 hours before doing so, not communicating in advance the plan to assign everyone seats at Citi last year (instead of letting us pick like 2 years earlier), not admitting there was any chance of Citi games this year for weeks and months after the rumors started, now this. I'm sure I'm missing a few from 2016-18. Then of secondary concern are all the communications that have used British spelling or usage (like close season or printing a date deadline in D/M/Y format)) because nobody cares enough to run anything by someone fluent in American.

These are the sort of communication errors and untruths that indicate they don't care, more than they plan to deceive (except Lampard -- that was just a lie and the closest to actual fraud). For every single one you can say, "It's no big deal," and be right. None of them are a big deal. But it wears, and we're all tired of it.

ETA: Of course, Man City announcing Vieira's departure before NYCFC did. A mistake to be sure, but again, one caused by not caring enough to make sure it was done right.

Last edited:
For me it's communications again, and again, and again.

I'm not upset they're giving everyone a choice between being charged or deferring. I understand some people didn't like the deferral because it means bigger payments later. And I'm not too worked up that they went with the default being you get charged. I can think of logistical reasons for that.

But that email, with the talk of a complete season, was absurd. Everyone at NYCFC knew it was false when it was sent. Every STH knew it was false when received. What can possibly be gained from that? We like to throw the word "fraud" around, and I do too sometimes, but fraud does not even come into play because fraud requires that the communication deceive someone into relying on it. This had no chance. That it was proven false by Garber in less than 24 hours is peak NYCFC.

I wish we had kept a good, easily findable list of all the poor communications in club history. Off the top of my head I can come up with: Lampard, telling STHs in 2016 the club was not going to drop paper printed tickets 24 hours before doing so, not communicating in advance the plan to assign everyone sats at Citi last year (instead of letting us pick like 2 years earlier), not admitting there was any chance of Citi games this year for weeks and months after the rumors started, now this. I'm sure I'm missing a few from 2016-18. Then of secondary concern are all the communications that have used British spelling or usage (like close season) because nobody cares enough to run anything by someone fluent in American.

These are the sort of communication errors and untruths that indicate they don't care, more than they plan to deceive (except Lampard -- that was just a lie and the closest to actual fraud). For every single one you can say, "It's no big deal," and be right. None of them are a big deal. But it wears, and we're all tired of it.

ETA: Of course, Man City announcing Vieira's departure before NYCFC did. A mistake to be sure, but again, one caused by not caring enough to make sure it was done right.
I think it comes down to the items I bolded in your post above, they haven't cared much at all about this.

Mistakes like you highlighted will happen (I'm talking individually, not collectively). But the fact that these keep happening over and over and over demonstrates that the club is just not putting forth the effort on these items.

Our fans have been pissed off basically since the Lampard fiasco in 2015 (and arguably before then). How have they not put in some kind of process to gauge any kind of fan reaction at all by now? It's absurd.