2020 Roster Discussion

Don’t gaslight Mata - he has ALWAYS been a horrible defender. He had injury problems and also defending problems. There is zero reason to bring him back on a new contract, none. He’s not the future of the position, and at this point he’s a fan-angered pariah. I’ll go out on a limb that and posit that there is a zero percent chance that all of his teammates won’t hold a grudge. Statistically speaking, somebody will blame him for the crashout - the looks on a few of their faces were of anger last night when it happened, not simply shock, and Mata has a history of losing his composure with recklessness.

Fair. But it could have happened to any of them. Had the mistakes been reversed, would Chanot be under the same kind of criticisms? Stupid header mistakes have been something he's starting to make his MO.

I think Mata can improve. He's aggressive and has speed. His fatal flaws are losing focus and stamina. The latter of which adds to the former. But these are things he CAN improve. I'm not saying he's a guaranteed starter for us next year.. I still think we need to shop for a competent left back on the level of Tinnerholm, but I wouldn't mind Mata as a backup and depth player.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Fair. But it could have happened to any of them. Had the mistakes been reversed, would Chanot be under the same kind of criticisms? Stupid header mistakes have been something he's starting to make his MO.

I think Mata can improve. He's aggressive and has speed. His fatal flaws are losing focus and stamina. The latter of which adds to the former. But these are things he CAN improve. I'm not saying he's a guaranteed starter for us next year.. I still think we need to shop for a competent left back on the level of Tinnerholm, but I wouldn't mind Mata as a backup and depth player.
No.

As a backup he’s too expensive.

Reactions: Kjbert
What about Matarrita? Can he come back from this mistake? It was a big one, and this is a guy whose career has been failing to take off for a couple of years now.

I wonder if it might be better for him to start fresh elsewhere, and I ask that not out of bitterness or anger, but honestly wondering if he can put this one behind him.
I think he can, but it depends on how his teammates rebound from this too. Sure they're mad after the game and on the field when emotions are running high. Maxi was screaming "what the fuck" at him immediately after the tackle (you can see the replay, if you dare). Maybe one does hold a grudge against him, but I feel that would be obscene and incredibly short sighted.

I only want him back if we are 100% committed to playing 3 ATB in a 3-5-2 formation next year. If there is any question about preferring/having a 4-4-2/4-3-3 instead, drop him. He excels up and down the left side with only having to minimally worry about playing defense. His pace is decent and he does well at crossing, so I am fine with him if he has additional help behind him, which a 3-5-2 provides. His lack of urgency at getting back and brash challenges in dangerous areas showed his inability to defend as a LB. However, add the W for a LWB and we have a strong left side.

Tinny is the only LB/RB we have that was able to play both as a wing-back and increased defensive weight as a RB. Mata was never fully comfortable defending when it came to that side of the job as a LB.

I hope, if Dome leaves, that the FO goes after a coach first before signing players without a plan in place, and money is wasted on the bench due to a player not fitting into a preferred formation.

Where would we even go for another DP? A new winger? A better Keaton Parks to go box to box?

I agree that Medina should be let go, but where does another DP fit?

Where would we even go for another DP? A new winger? A better Keaton Parks to go box to box?

I agree that Medina should be let go, but where does another DP fit?
A lethal striker to partner with Heber. We scored this year by committee and last night nobody showed up. Mitrita is not a goto type player that can flip a switch and take over a match. We need that and the continued efforts by committee.

Reactions: moogoo
A lethal striker to partner with Heber. We scored this year by committee and last night nobody showed up. Mitrita is not a goto type player that can flip a switch and take over a match. We need that and the continued efforts by committee.

The most successful teams in this league are the ones with a lethal striker and a better than average rest of the team. The better the rest of the team is, the more successful the team is. E.G., ATL has Josef and a talented remainder, LAFC - Vela and talented remainder, LAG - Zlatan and average remainder, which explains why they didn't seed higher.

So, I agree here. We need an aguero or icardi type player.

The most successful teams in this league are the ones with a lethal striker and a better than average rest of the team. The better the rest of the team is, the more successful the team is. E.G., ATL has Josef and a talented remainder, LAFC - Vela and talented remainder, LAG - Zlatan and average remainder, which explains why they didn't seed higher.

I cannot even imagine how difficult it would be to defend us if we had Aguero and Heber up top in a 352, and Maxi lying beneath in the hole.

I cannot even imagine how difficult it would be to defend us if we had Aguero and Heber up top in a 352, and Maxi lying beneath in the hole.

a half retired aguero would tear up MLS. we need a striker with his intuition, touch, clinical finishing, and GREED to score.

Heber is the closest thing we've got, but he's obviously not aguero level.

I think we already have a lethal striker

There are three spaces to be filled in the starting 11:

1. Left back (duh)
2. second striker/winger - this could be your DP - Mertens?
3. Box to box midfielder if parks doesn’t come back.

giphy.gif

Heber is great, even DP-level great on a TAM contract, which is a dream come true. But he is also made of glass, and if I am not mistaken that reputation for getting easily injured preceded him. So we may have to expect him to be fit and ready to start 50% to 70% of games, if that many. So a DP second striker makes sense, especially if there are good offers for Taty. OTOH because Mitrita is Maxi's size with half the stamina and defensive focus of Maxi, my impression is we may need a really physical and high-motor 8 to truly dominate the midfield. A DP-level 8 who has the ability to tackle like Ring and assist like Parks while being more involved that anybody else in the pitch. Parks is good for MLS level but he's not a difference maker the way a $20M guy would be. My impression of last night's first half is that our midfield got overrun.

Heber is great, even DP-level great on a TAM contract, which is a dream come true. But he is also made of glass, and if I am not mistaken that reputation for getting easily injured preceded him. So we may have to expect him to be fit and ready to start 50% to 70% of games, if that many. So a DP second striker makes sense, especially if there are good offers for Taty. OTOH because Mitrita is Maxi's size with half the stamina and defensive focus of Maxi, my impression is we may need a really physical and high-motor 8 to truly dominate the midfield. A DP-level 8 who has the ability to tackle like Ring and assist like Parks while being more involved that anybody else in the pitch. Parks is good for MLS level but he's not a difference maker the way a $20M guy would be. My impression of last night's first half is that our midfield got overrun.

i love the dream of a #8 that can tackle like Ring but assist like Parks. Does that even exist anywhere in the world? It's either one or the other it seems. I can't think of a single star midfielder with both these qualities.

I'd love an athletic, fast, cannon-legged striker like Josef. He's so strong despite his size. We play so differently from ATL, but Martinez is a gem.

Reactions: mgarbowski
I'd love an athletic, fast, cannon-legged striker like Josef. He's so strong despite his size. We play so differently from ATL, but Martinez is a gem.

He's greedy and hungry for a goal and fearless in his pursuit. That's what we need. Not someone who won't jump into a challenge for fear or getting hurt

Reactions: The Toe
Taylor Twellman on ESPN just now said there's a chance Claudio Reyna does not return with us. Apparently Claudio wants to be back, but it may not happen. And if Claudio does return, he said to expect Giovanni van Bronckhorst as the next coach if Dome leaves.

Interesting ... I knew Dome appeared to be on the way out, did not realize Claudio could be sent packing. Reading the tea leaves, I wonder if this is an offseason of upheaval. Even though we outperformed expectations, losing both the sporting director and coach would change a lot.