2020 Roster Discussion

Firing Claudio would be dumb. We have the third most points in MLS in the 5 years the team existed. That includes the season one crapfest. Over the last 4 years: 2016-2019, NYCFC has the most points in the league. This has been a consistently excellent team that repeatedly fails in elimination games. I don't think the sporting director gets primary blame for that. At some point, the guys on the field have to be responsible for that.

Including David Villa more than anyone else.

There was a discussion one page back that we need a lethal striker, that the winning model in MLS is a world class striker surrounded by pretty good talent. That was our model until this year and it failed in big games and playoffs, because, I'm sorry, club legend David Villa repeatedly failed us in those games. In 9 playoff and USOC appearances Villa had 3 goals and no assists in 759 minutes. That's 0.36/90. Against the Red Bulls he had one good game that he won with a hat trick. Including that game his line runs 5G 1A 933 minutes for 0.58/90, rather pedestrian for a world class striker (this does not include his Ofers against RB in USOC play which was covered above and would reduce the average even more but I don't want to double count). Outside of that one game he won for us, his RB line is 2G 1A in 844 minutes and 0.32/90.

This year we switched from the 1 star striker model to scoring by committee and scored the most goals in team history and still bombed out of the playoffs because, well, we all just saw it.

Anyway, none of this is Reyna's fault. Our roster is fantastic and the points record over 5 years is stellar. I'd take this roster right now over any team in MLS except LAFC for any random game. For any big game I want Vela or Josef or several other guys over anyone who has ever worn our colors, even David Villa. But if you can't rely on David Villa for big games, and we never could, you can hardly blame Reyna for that and you can't blame him for trying a different route this year. It makes sense. Until this year we had 1 single point of failure when it came to scoring in big games. You would think that dispersing the burden makes the chance of failure in any given game less likely, but here we are: Single or even double elimination competition is unforgiving.

I know this Villa stuff is apostasy, but let's face it. He had 4 years to put this team -- a damn good team in every year but his first -- on his back and carry it to a title. In 7 playoff appearances, 2 USOC, and 11 regular season derbies, Villa was the difference maker 1 time. One August night in 2017. That's it. That's his big game legacy with NYCFC. He never won a USOC game or got past the conference semis, and you can't even claim he did amazing things but the rest of the team failed him. If he had succeeded in big spots, then Wednesday night would not have hurt as much as it did. Someday someone on this team is going to have to just have a series of excellent games in elimination games. Villa failed us. The committee failed us. And I don't see how any of it is Reyna's fault.

Last edited:
Taylor Twellman on ESPN just now said there's a chance Claudio Reyna does not return with us. Apparently Claudio wants to be back, but it may not happen. And if Claudio does return, he said to expect Giovanni van Bronckhorst as the next coach if Dome leaves.

Interesting ... I knew Dome appeared to be on the way out, did not realize Claudio could be sent packing. Reading the tea leaves, I wonder if this is an offseason of upheaval. Even though we outperformed expectations, losing both the sporting director and coach would change a lot.

Why would Gio only be the new coach if Reyna isn't fired? Does that imply they have some GM/Coach combo or single individual in mind instead?

Firing Claudio would be dumb. We have the third most points in MLS in the 5 years the team existed. That includes the season one crapfest. Over the last 4 years: 2016-2019, NYCFC has the most points in the league. This has been a consistently excellent team that repeatedly fails in elimination games. I don't think the sporting director gets primary blame for that. At some point, the guys on the field have to be responsible for that.

Including David Villa more than anyone else.

There was a discussion one page back that we need a lethal striker, that the winning model in MLS is a world class striker surrounded by pretty good talent. That was our model until this year and it failed in big games and playoffs, because, I'm sorry, club legend David Villa repeatedly failed us in those games. In 9 playoff and USOC appearances Villa had 3 goals and no assists in 759 minutes. That's 0.36/90. Against the Red Bulls he had one good game that he won with a hat trick. Including that game his line runs 5G 1A 933 minutes for a rather pedestrian 0.58/90 for a world class striker (this does not include his Ofers against RB in USOC play which was covered above and would reduce the average even more but I don't want to double count). Outside of that one game he won for us, his RB line is 2G 1A in 844 minutes and 0.32/90.

This year we switched from the 1 star striker model to scoring by committee and scored the most goals in team history and still bombed out of the playoffs because, well, we all just saw it.

Anyway, none of this is Reyna's fault. Our roster is fantastic and the points record over 5 years is stellar. I'd take this roster right now over any team in MLS except LAFC for any random game. For any big game I want Vela or Josef or several other guys over anyone who has ever worn our colors, even David Villa. But if you can't rely on David Villa for big games, and we never could, you can hardly blame Reyna for that and you can't blame him for trying a different route this year. It makes sense. Until this year we had 1 single point of failure when it came to scoring in big games. You would think that dispersing the burden makes the chance failure in any given game less likely, but here we are: Single or even double elimination competition is unforgiving.

I know this Villa stuff is apostasy, but let's face it. He had 4 years to put this team -- a damn good team in every year but his first -- on his back and carry it to a title. In 7 playoff appearances, 2 USOC, and 11 regular season derbies, Villa was the difference maker 1 time. One August night in 2017. That's it. That's his big game legacy with NYCFC. He never won a USOC game or got past the conference semis, and you can't even claim he did amazing things but the rest of the team failed him. If he had succeeded in big spots, then Wednesday night would not have hurt as much as it did. Someday someone on this team is going to have to just have a series of excellent games in elimination games. Villa failed us. The committee failed us. And I don't see how any of it is Reyna's fault.

I’m not even sure you need that DP star to carry you. But we need a ‘Carlos Beltran’ moment where a regular starter just goes off for 3-4 matches, propelling us to a cup.

Will firing Claudio change anything if the club is not doing its best when it comes to DPs? Are they punishing him for letting Gio go to Dortmund? We may or may not find out.
If there are going to fire Claudio , I really hope someone gets Claudio to write a book about his time at NYCFC. Really would like to see the palace intrigue (pun not intended) between NYCFC and City Football Group. Yeah I know it would probably only sell 1,000 copies. But it would fun to read.

Why would Gio only be the new coach if Reyna isn't fired? Does that imply they have some GM/Coach combo or single individual in mind instead?
A lot could be at play. Maybe Claudio was told way back that the club expected silverware of some sort within five years? Didn’t happen. Maybe they’re pissed a prized talent wasn’t convinced to sign with the club that nurtured his growth? There are rumors of this. Maybe Claudio has asked for resources that aren’t being granted and it’s caused friction - who knows? And maybe if Dome is unhappy with when he received players (Heber) or who his received (GMS who’s flamed out) and that it’s been rumored that Heber was not even a top 5 choice, that he blames Claudio for it and that opinion has carried up through CFG because of his connections (all just spitballing on my part)?

And as to GvB, maybe his interest is exclusive to his relationship with Claudio and if no Claudio then he doesn’t want to sign on to a team not knowing who his boss is?

I don’t know, but feels like we’re playing a game of dominoes and when the first one falls, it’ll set off the run of them.

A lot could be at play. Maybe Claudio was told way back that the club expected silverware of some sort within five years? Didn’t happen. Maybe they’re pissed a prized talent wasn’t convinced to sign with the club that nurtured his growth? There are rumors of this. Maybe Claudio has asked for resources that aren’t being granted and it’s caused friction - who knows? And maybe if Dome is unhappy with when he received players (Heber) or who his received (GMS who’s flamed out) and that it’s been rumored that Heber was not even a top 5 choice, that he blames Claudio for it and that opinion has carried up through CFG because of his connections (all just spitballing on my part)?

And as to GvB, maybe his interest is exclusive to his relationship with Claudio and if no Claudio then he doesn’t want to sign on to a team not knowing who his boss is?

I don’t know, but feels like we’re playing a game of dominoes and when the first one falls, it’ll set off the run of them.

I don't know how it all works, but it kinda feels like Dome is unhappy with how Reyna runs things. In his interview, Dome said Heber was 9th choice but clearly has worked out to be pretty damn good, aside from being made of glass. If he can stay healthy and show the same form next year, he'll be a fantastic player for us. But 9th choice and 6 weeks after Dome asked for a player. Was that due to Reyna or CFG? I remember a couple years ago, when Pep wanted a defender to replace Mendy (cause he's constantly injured), he went out the next day and got LaPorte. He wanted him, he got him. Yes, money is no object in EPL where it is here. Is it a matter of Dome not liking his limitations here? Or is it Reyna or CFG? Those are the 3 main things I see him being unhappy with rosterwise as he has said in interviews. He definitely says a lot more about his complaints in spanish interviews.

Reactions: mgarbowski
i love the dream of a #8 that can tackle like Ring but assist like Parks. Does that even exist anywhere in the world? It's either one or the other it seems. I can't think of a single star midfielder with both these qualities.

Considering the difference in quality, speed, physicality, etc between the top leagues and MLS, anybody who can tackle effectively in the Premier League can be a top 5 defensive force in MLS. And I think any of them would be able to string precise and creative forward passes in a way that neither Ring nor Ofori can. N'Golo Kante was moved from 6 to 8 by Sarri and did very well, and yes he's an 80M player now, but he was bought from Caen by Leicester for 8M Euros. I am sure plenty of 8s in top leagues would have great defensive bite in a slower league like MLS. The step-down tends to allow the player to show a wider repertoire of talents, like with Jozef M. who was never a goal machine in Serie A but was turned into one here.

I don't know how it all works, but it kinda feels like Dome is unhappy with how Reyna runs things. In his interview, Dome said Heber was 9th choice but clearly has worked out to be pretty damn good, aside from being made of glass. If he can stay healthy and show the same form next year, he'll be a fantastic player for us. But 9th choice and 6 weeks after Dome asked for a player. Was that due to Reyna or CFG? I remember a couple years ago, when Pep wanted a defender to replace Mendy (cause he's constantly injured), he went out the next day and got LaPorte. He wanted him, he got him. Yes, money is no object in EPL where it is here. Is it a matter of Dome not liking his limitations here? Or is it Reyna or CFG? Those are the 3 main things I see him being unhappy with rosterwise as he has said in interviews. He definitely says a lot more about his complaints in spanish interviews.
If Heber was 9th choice, then that means Claudio kicked over rocks on 8 other choices. It’s not like he is ordering a Striker off of Amazon where a few clicks and a credit card ensure delivery two days later. The player has to also want to come to NYCFC, and evidently 8 other targets either didn’t want to, or couldn’t come to terms, or their club wouldn’t agree to it (if still in contract).

There’s a very real possibility that while NYC is a draw for many players, NYCFC/CFG is not.

If Heber was 9th choice, then that means Claudio kicked over rocks on 8 other choices. It’s not like he is ordering a Striker off of Amazon where a few clicks and a credit card ensure delivery two days later. The player has to also want to come to NYCFC, and evidently 8 other targets either didn’t want to, or couldn’t come to terms, or their club wouldn’t agree to it (if still in contract).

There’s a very real possibility that while NYC is a draw for many players, NYCFC/CFG is not.

7. We eventually got GMS.

No, I agree there are plenty of reasons why we were only able to get a 9th choice striker. I just wonder what those reasons were.

7. We eventually got GMS.
He was a precursor target to Mitrita, so not sure if he’s on the same acquisition line as Heber.

Heber was brought in after the squad was given dome’s blessing of satisfaction in preseason but then looked so lifeless. Remember, Dome went in with Taty as the day1 CF by design. And Heber was targeted as that CF reinforcement. There really may have be 8 others looked at for this singular transfer.

Whereas GMS was tossed around before Mitrita got here.

What about Matarrita? Can he come back from this mistake? It was a big one, and this is a guy whose career has been failing to take off for a couple of years now.

I wonder if it might be better for him to start fresh elsewhere, and I ask that not out of bitterness or anger, but honestly wondering if he can put this one behind him.
Having waited 3 days to reflect on this and get past the emotions I do think both the club and Matarrita will be best served if he goes elsewhere. Not because there is no recovering from this. He could. But neither he nor the club should bet the future on a streak ending.

He was responsible in substantial part for one of the late first leg goals for Toronto in 2016 and the killer 4th goal for Columbus in 2017. Those plays were less egregiously stupid but he gave up on the play both times and that’s just as bad in a different way. It’s time to try something new.

Having waited 3 days to reflect on this and get past the emotions I do think both the club and Matarrita will be best served if he goes elsewhere. Not because there is no recovering from this. He could. But neither he nor the club should bet the future on a streak ending.

He was responsible in substantial part for one of the late first leg goals for Toronto in 2016 and the killer 4th goal for Columbus in 2017. Those plays were less egregiously stupid but he gave up on the play both times and that’s just as bad in a different way. It’s time to try something new.

When it comes to NYCFC's postseason flameouts, he's been part of the problem far more often than he's been part of the solution. He's clearly the weak-link on this current team, so that's a spot they really need to improve. He's been a good player for us, but it's time for something new.

A lethal striker to partner with Heber. We scored this year by committee and last night nobody showed up. Mitrita is not a goto type player that can flip a switch and take over a match. We need that and the continued efforts by committee.

Mitrita carried us for 6 weeks at the end of the season.

Mitrita carried us for 6 weeks at the end of the season.
If 6, and I haven’t gone back to check, then that’s less than 20% of the season and then disappeared in the playoffs.

If 6, and I haven’t gone back to check, then that’s less than 20% of the season and then disappeared in the playoffs.

I think it matters that it was the last 6 weeks of the season

I think it matters that it was the last 6 weeks of the season
Cool, so a DP doesn’t have to show up until the last month and a half and can then disappear in the playoffs. Good to know.