2021 MLS Cup in Portland - Travel and Logistics Thread

For me it ain't about the appeal of being with the other fans, (I'm not into weed/hooka/whatever they were doing the other day) but rather the security that I'll be around the TR members so that if plans change or ticket distribution happens etc, I'll be aware of all the plans as I'm near the rest of the members. (Sabbath and all, I'll essentially be disconnected otherwise)

It's pretty easy to get around Portland using their streetcar and buses. You can use your phone or credit card to tap and there is a cap of $5 per day so you won't get charged more than that.

Hey y'all - I live in Seattle now and was in Portland for a few years after leaving NYC (in 2017). If anyone has questions on areas of Portland, restaurants, bars, etc., send me a note and I'd be happy to provide detail.

Providence Park utilizes Clear entry for showing you are vaccinated. Even if you aren't a Clear member (for airline travel), you can register for free with the app. It's easy to do - even my 75 y/o father figured it out (!).

The stadium is in a pretty good area of town. Anything east of the 405 (belt route around the city) *starts* to get a little sketchy. The Pearl District is mostly safe and clean, until you get to about 8th Avenue - east of there and around Burnside is no bueno. I would not recommend staying at The Hoxton or The Society. Both are about 1 block (or less) from a bunch of social / homeless services. North of the stadium gets into Northwest 23rd District, which is higher-end shopping with some dining (fewer hotel options than the Pearl or Pioneer Square area).

A few of my favorites (also skewing to unique / different from what you'd easily find in NYC):
- Mediterranean Exploration Company
- Multnomah Whiskey Library (I'm still a member here - my flight back to Seattle is 5pm on Saturday but I may be able to help with a reservation; You can also walk-in and put your name on the list - could be ~3 hour wait for bar seats)
- Great Notion Brewing
- Pioneer Square Food Truck Pod (good options, a block from The Nines hotel)

See you on Saturday!

Third rail:

Hotel Room Block

We have secured a hotel room block at the Courtyard Portland City Center (550 SW Oak Street, Portland, Oregon 97204 USA). Rates are $99+tax per night for King rooms and $109+tax for 2 Queens. These rates are good for both Friday and Saturday night.

I know many of you have already booked rooms elsewhere but I encourage you to cancel those so you can stay with your fellow supporters. We will need to enter the stadium around 10am so it will be great to march together from the hotel to Providence Park which is only a 15 minute walk away.

--------------
Anyone planning on switching to their hotel room block?
i just called and the hotel said i need to use a link instead? does anyone have a link for us to use? 150+ per night

For any of us staying outside of the TR hotel block, I wonder if we should consider setting a meetup time on saturday morning and then walk to the stadium in time for entrance at ~10am? Or walking to the TR group to walk with them. Might give us also an opportunity in the morning to get a nice meetup before the game, since most of you are arriving early saturday morning based on your above-written flight times.

For any of us staying outside of the TR hotel block, I wonder if we should consider setting a meetup time on saturday morning and then walk to the stadium in time for entrance at ~10am? Or walking to the TR group to walk with them. Might give us also an opportunity in the morning to get a nice meetup before the game, since most of you are arriving early saturday morning based on your above-written flight times.
If you have an NYCFC away ticket, we're all entering the stadium at the same time. So details will likely be emailed by TR/Front Office and we'll all coordinate

If you have an NYCFC away ticket, we're all entering the stadium at the same time. So details will likely be emailed by TR/Front Office and we'll all coordinate
I have a TR away ticket. I just mean because i know a few of us aren't staying at the TR hotel block, so it might just make sense to meet up before that time (whenever TR/FO let us know to be at the stadium)

It seems we have a lot of forum members planning to go to this game. I think it makes sense to have a separate thread from the game thread, both to make finding posts easier, and so people not going don't have to read the irrelevant stuff. Travel tips, food tips, questions, breakfast, dinner, drinking meetups on Saturday, whatever.

My starting question is: what are the best options to get from the airport to downtown late Friday night? My flight gets in a little after 11pm. I'm staying a few blocks from the river downtown. It looks like it's near the Red Line which is the airport line. But I can't tell what the Max Light Rail hours are. The website on multiple pages says "most of the day, every day," which is so not helpful. I tried the trip planner, and input that I plan to leave the airport at 11:40pm and it puts me on at train around 3am?, and has me switch from the Red line to Blue line for no apparent reason.

I'm very open to taking a cab but if anyone know how the rail system actually works or has other ideas let me know.
In the schedule section, you can see it (linked below). the light rail runs to downtown from the airport every 30 mins that late, and also early morning. I’m planning to use the light rail unless shit hits the fan, in which case I’ll use Uber or a cab.

Third rail:

Hotel Room Block

We have secured a hotel room block at the Courtyard Portland City Center (550 SW Oak Street, Portland, Oregon 97204 USA). Rates are $99+tax per night for King rooms and $109+tax for 2 Queens. These rates are good for both Friday and Saturday night.

I know many of you have already booked rooms elsewhere but I encourage you to cancel those so you can stay with your fellow supporters. We will need to enter the stadium around 10am so it will be great to march together from the hotel to Providence Park which is only a 15 minute walk away.

--------------
Anyone planning on switching to their hotel room block?
Can someone DM me the link to the Third Rail hotel block? I booked at the AC but this seems like a better location.

I have a TR away ticket. I just mean because i know a few of us aren't staying at the TR hotel block, so it might just make sense to meet up before that time (whenever TR/FO let us know to be at the stadium)
Agreed. You, SoupInNYC and me can coordinate to walk over to the TR hotel together. Anyone else staying at or near the Hotel AC feel free to reach out here or in DMs.

Last edited:
I am going to Portland! Ticket purchased through TR, thank you TR! My flight from Albany gets in on Friday at around 11:00. Hotel was booked through the TR link. Looking forward to meeting you all.

For some reason I'm not receiving the emails from TR, is there anyway I can get this fixed?
If you don't get it by later today I'd contact them to check. Use the email they provide in the original email

Reactions: ALBNYfan
I went ahead and switched to the TR hotel - turned out to be a bit cheaper using the block rate so works out for me. Also closer to the stadium, but still easy to access via light rail. LFGGGG

I was debating to switch to the TR hotel, but the block is only available friday night - sat night, and I need thursday night as well. So I'm just going to stick to the AC with mark and soup! We'll see y'all on saturday morning! This is gonna be a blast