2022 Schedule Thread

I'm thinking either after playoffs or after world cup to start the next NYCFC Survivor campaign. Any thoughts on best timing? I'm thinking either fresh off of playoffs or long enough after that there are no new signings but also time for us to reflect properly.

But knee jerk reactions is what NYCFC Survivor is about, so...
After the World Cup please

Crazy how we went from "If Austin loses, we have a pretty good shot at hosting MLS Cup if we win out..." to "Pretty unlikely we host" with a simple Austin win the other day lol

Reactions: Kjbert
What are the odds that we have another home game in 2022? Two ways for it to happen.

1. Hosting the Conference Final. This requires NYCFC beating Montreal and Cincinnati beating Philly. Odds according to 538 - 8.6%.
2. Hosting MLS Cup. This requires NYCFC winning the East to face either LA Galaxy or FC Dallas. Odds according to 538 - 3.3%

Odds of at least one of those things happening - 10.0%.

What are the odds that we have another home game in 2022? Two ways for it to happen.

1. Hosting the Conference Final. This requires NYCFC beating Montreal and Cincinnati beating Philly. Odds according to 538 - 8.6%.
2. Hosting MLS Cup. This requires NYCFC winning the East to face either LA Galaxy or FC Dallas. Odds according to 538 - 3.3%

Odds of at least one of those things happening - 10.0%.
Chance LAFC and Philly lose because "they had a longer break and it's unfair (even though this year is by far the shortest break of all for bye round teams)": 95%

It's probably not a coincidence that both Thursday games involve the 1-seeds, while both Sunday games involve the 2-seeds.

Thinking back on the last round, that meant that the 4-5 games were both going to be on Saturday to give the winners a full 4 days rest before the next round. So, the Red Bulls were always going to be on Saturday.

Chance LAFC and Philly lose because "they had a longer break and it's unfair (even though this year is by far the shortest break of all for bye round teams)": 95%

i think LAFC is more likely to lose, Galaxy tend to get in their heads.

It's probably not a coincidence that both Thursday games involve the 1-seeds, while both Sunday games involve the 2-seeds.

Thinking back on the last round, that meant that the 4-5 games were both going to be on Saturday to give the winners a full 4 days rest before the next round. So, the Red Bulls were always going to be on Saturday.
Yet some of their fandom is blaming us for their game time lmao. shambles

I don’t think we beat Philly in the Conference Finals.

At this point, we can still qualify for Champions League if Austin, Philly or LAFC win out, correct?

At this point, we can still qualify for Champions League if Austin, Philly or LAFC win out, correct?
star wars GIF

Reactions: twsj91

Nope, we have to win MLS Cup to qualify. If LAFC or Philly win, Austin qualifies. If Austin wins, they qualify.

Nope, we have to win MLS Cup to qualify. If LAFC or Philly win, Austin qualifies. If Austin wins, they qualify.

Thank you. So it was Austin we were up against for that final spot.

Minor whine about the schedule this year.
Because of the World Cup adjustment, our reign as current MLS Cup champion will have lasted less than 11 months, specifically 329 days. I believe that ties 1999 DC United for the shortest reign.

Last edited:
Minor whine abut the schedule this year.
Because of the World Cup adjustment, our reign as current MLS Cup champion will have lasted less than 11 months, specifically 329 days. I believe that ties 1999 DC United for the shortest reign.
World Cup adjustment AND Covid adjustment.

World Cup adjustment AND Covid adjustment.
True, but sort of not true. Our final was December 11. Seven of the previous eight MLS cups were December 6 or later. The exception was 2019 on November 10, which was the first year with all 1-game knockouts. Then yes, 2020 and 2021 were pushed to December for Covid, but looking at the series of dates that ended up making 2019 an outlier.

True, but sort of not true. Our final was December 11. Seven of the previous eight MLS cups were December 6 or later. The exception was 2019 on November 10, which was the first year with all 1-game knockouts. Then yes, 2020 and 2021 were pushed to December for Covid, but looking at the series of dates that ended up making 2019 an outlier.
Wasn't the original intention of the 1-game knockouts in part to make the off-season longer? I remember then talking about both the "crazier and more wacky results" aspect as well as the longer off-season aspect... which would be good , except covid actually made that only happen once... lol. And this year they make it seam like they're rushing MLS cup for the WC, when in reality it's maybe one week off of what it would be on a "normal" year...?

Wasn't the original intention of the 1-game knockouts in part to make the off-season longer? I remember then talking about both the "crazier and more wacky results" aspect as well as the longer off-season aspect... which would be good , except covid actually made that only happen once... lol. And this year they make it seam like they're rushing MLS cup for the WC, when in reality it's maybe one week off of what it would be on a "normal" year...?
I think it was to avoid having the international break fall in the middle of the post season. Probably also to extend the off season a bit.

The 2021 regular season started in Mid-April - 5-6 weeks later than usual. Not all of that ran to the end of the year as the league compressed the schedule, and there was an international break during that delay, but a lot of it did.

I think it was to avoid having the international break fall in the middle of the post season. Probably also to extend the off season a bit.

The 2021 regular season started in Mid-April - 5-6 weeks later than usual. Not all of that ran to the end of the year as the league compressed the schedule, and there was an international break during that delay, but a lot of it did.
That was exactly it, international break not messing with playoffs.