2022 U.S. Open Cup

This is a throwback to when Seattle won Open Cups by playing every game at home. If Orlando wins, they will have played every game in the tournament at home.

luck of the draw goes a long way.

This is a throwback to when Seattle won Open Cups by playing every game at home. If Orlando wins, they will have played every game in the tournament at home.

luck of the draw goes a long way.
It's so weird. They only once scored more than 2 goals all MLS season, when they scored 3 against DC and still lost. Then they play a RB team in USOC that has 3 Home wins and 7 Away wins (not sure that's an advantage to Orlando btw) and blow them out 5-1.

Meanwhile in the West you had a Cup semifinal with a USL team and an MLS last place Wooden Spoon contender who started both Ben Sweat and Khiry Shelton (love those guys but still). Sacramento, before beating last place SKC on spot kicks, previously upset next-to-last place San Jose and a Galaxy team which is barely over the playoff line and very well might miss them. What the hell happened in the West bracket that Sacramento could emerge without facing one really good MLS team?

And now they face Orlando, who sport a -5 MLS Goal Differential.

I'm not knocking ether team for this, especially Sacramento. You play who shows up. But tournaments are wacky.

Last edited:
It's so weird. They only once scored more than 2 goals all MLS season, when they scored 3 against DC and still lost. Then they play a RB team in USOC that has 3 Home wins and 7 Away wins (not sure that's an advantage to Orlando btw) and blow them out 5-1.

Meanwhile in the West you had a Cup semifinal with a USL team and an MLS last place Wooden Spoon contender who started both Ben Sweat and Khiry Shelton (love those guys but still). Sacramento, before beating last place SKC on spot kicks, previously upset next-to-last place San Jose and a Galaxy team which is barely over the playoff line and very well might miss them. What the hell happened in the West bracket that Sacramento could emerge without facing one really good MLS team?

And now they face Orlando, who sport a -5 Goal MLS Differential.

I'm not knocking ether team for this, especially Sacramento. You play who shows up. But tournaments are wacky.

Hamburg SV made the cup semis two years running, and they're in the second bundesliga and can't find a way out of it. Weird shit happens in cups! lol

Apparently he was annoyed that someone on SKC did backflips to celebrate making his kick. So he did a panenka and then also backflips
Ice cold
Yep. I watched that part live, though I didn't make the connection until later

Reactions: mgarbowski
No Red Bull please. It's delicious that they still have no Cup of any kind.

...by the way, does it bother anyone else referring to the Red Bulls as the cows, or worse, pink cows, as a way to insult/demean them? (not to single you out Moogoo, lots of people do but your post reminded me). A cow is the female form of the species; a bull is male. So that's the insult? To me that's on par with "you throw like a girl." Pink too, it's the girly (or gay?) color. Am I missing something?

Just throwing that out there. Would prefer the "energy drink marketing vehicle" angle.

I prefer Red Fools.

Reactions: Kenny
No Red Bull please. It's delicious that they still have no Cup of any kind.

...by the way, does it bother anyone else referring to the Red Bulls as the cows, or worse, pink cows, as a way to insult/demean them? (not to single you out Moogoo, lots of people do but your post reminded me). A cow is the female form of the species; a bull is male. So that's the insult? To me that's on par with "you throw like a girl." Pink too, it's the girly (or gay?) color. Am I missing something?

Just throwing that out there. Would prefer the "energy drink marketing vehicle" angle.
Yeah, the added pink bit too really drives me nuts. It's so middle schoolish.

Reactions: Kenny and LostAnvil
Yeah, the added pink bit too really drives me nuts. It's so middle schoolish.
I personally also dislike the term, but I think the point is that cows are less aggressive than bulls. It's kinda like how we're the pigeons and people dislike it because it doesn't have an aggressive image (see the discussion on another thread a few days ago).

The pink part I have no idea.

Reactions: Kenny
Calling them Jersey is simple and effective. Nothing against the Garden State - but they sure seem to have something against it.

If that doesn't work, then there must be something to use that references soda cans. Cans, and not cups, because they don't have any.

Calling them Jersey is simple and effective. Nothing against the Garden State - but they sure seem to have something against it.

If that doesn't work, then there must be something to use that references soda cans. Cans, and not cups, because they don't have any.
The New Jersey No Cups?

would be wild if sacramento wins it, kind of like an FU to the MLS for the failed expansion ( although technically it was not MLS fault more like their investor pulled out but i dont know whole backstory).

however i really doubt it, their only good win was vs the galaxy ( SKC and SJ are bad) and that came of an error from the back up keeper, orlando will use their starters for sure.

But! We were first and our cup is definitely more coveted even if it’s less historic

no shame in winning the open cup, i still rate it higher then the shield, even though more than half the league and fanbase dont.

Reactions: JCMore
no shame in winning the open cup, i still rate it higher then the shield, even though more than half the league and fanbase dont.
I agree! I like the open cup more than the shield but the shield gets more attention because it’s at the end of the season. No disrespect to winning the cup! I just want to point out that we did it first in a competition that’s rated higher by our league

I will root for the upset because I love an upset. Who doesn’t root for the Cinderella story?

No schadenfreude for me. If Orlando win, raise a cup to them.

(And before we berate their fan base, let’s at least wait until Monday when our SS sanctions for bad behavior run out.)

I will root for the upset because I love an upset. Who doesn’t root for the Cinderella story?

No schadenfreude for me. If Orlando win, raise a cup to them.

(And before we berate their fan base, let’s at least wait until Monday when our SS sanctions for bad behavior run out.)
At first I missed the drums and flags and all but after a match or two I gotta say now that I"m used to it I kind of like it better this way. Feels more genuine to just have people chanting and singing rather than having devices to assist in that. Can't speak for the entire world but most leagues don't have drums, and I'm kind of OK with that.

Also, definitely routing for the underdog. Of course.