2023 FIFA Women's World Cup

got caught up in all the 3peat talk and lost their identity. no flow to their play. definitely not #1 in the world performance..

knocked out next round for sure.

Coaching is a big issue with this team. Too many players injured/recovering and this team doesn’t have familiarity playing together - and it shows as they can’t control the ball.

They don’t seem to have an identity - how are they attacking? They also have no control over the midfield. Can’t believe they were literally hanging on against Portugal to get a 0-0 tie to advance.

They should get properly waxed by Sweden and realize that they should have spent more time on tactics and less on individual promotion. Remember that ad about “how do you beat this US team? “ cringeworthy.

I was at the game and they deserved to lose. They should kiss that goalpost.

Reactions: JayH and moogoo
If the USWNT lose to a better tactical European opponent in the Round of 16 just like the USMNT, are they getting equal pay? Because that's what this squad of players really cares more about...

Will be interesting to see the narrative coming out of US media (sport and non-sport) with an R16 exit...I'm hoping the older generation of players that "fought" for "equal pay" retire so the younger players can start to emerge and get more minutes for the next WC cycle.

Their biggest win of the year will be the ESPY for Courage

Should they not be getting equal pay?
depends on if you believe in equal pay for equal effort, or equal pay for equal output, or equal pay for equal market value. maybe they should get equal or more or less. depends on what you value.

The issue some people have with the equal pay struggle is that the details of the compensation were a lot more complicated and ambiguous than the popular understanding.

When the dispute started, the players on the women's team complained that they received less in per game payments than the men and got a smaller per diem. It turned out that the difference in per game payment were because the women also received a salary that the men did not get. The difference in the per diem was because the higher rate was in a new collective bargaining agreement that the women had not decided to sign. When the full range of payments were compared, the two sides were very close, and arguments could be made for the women or the men getting more depending on the circumstances and the year.

There was one exception. World Cup payments. FIFA makes payments to the different federations based on the performance of their teams at each World Cup, and those payments are several times higher for the men's World Cup than for the women's World Cup. US Soccer (like many of the wealthier federations) simply passed those payments through to the players. So, the difference in payments from U.S. Soccer was really down to FIFA awarding more for the men's tournament than the women's.

When the issue was finally settled, it was because the men's team agreed to share it's larger pot equally with the women - something that I think has also happened at some European federations. That outcome seems fine to me, and bully for the men for agreeing to it, but I don't think it was ever true that US Soccer was way behind the times.

The issue some people have with the equal pay struggle is that the details of the compensation were a lot more complicated and ambiguous than the popular understanding.

When the dispute started, the players on the women's team complained that they received less in per game payments than the men and got a smaller per diem. It turned out that the difference in per game payment were because the women also received a salary that the men did not get. The difference in the per diem was because the higher rate was in a new collective bargaining agreement that the women had not decided to sign. When the full range of payments were compared, the two sides were very close, and arguments could be made for the women or the men getting more depending on the circumstances and the year.

There was one exception. World Cup payments. FIFA makes payments to the different federations based on the performance of their teams at each World Cup, and those payments are several times higher for the men's World Cup than for the women's World Cup. US Soccer (like many of the wealthier federations) simply passed those payments through to the players. So, the difference in payments from U.S. Soccer was really down to FIFA awarding more for the men's tournament than the women's.

When the issue was finally settled, it was because the men's team agreed to share it's larger pot equally with the women - something that I think has also happened at some European federations. That outcome seems fine to me, and bully for the men for agreeing to it, but I don't think it was ever true that US Soccer was way behind the times.
Yeah, the USWNT players suing USSF was just a publicity stunt when the problems were from FIFA in the difference in the monies from the World Cup payments because the Men's World Cup makes 10x over what the Women's World Cup makes in revenue. What's the USSF supposed to do there? Give them monies from other budgets/programs so they match the Men's payments from the World Cup? Sorry kids, we can't fund your scholarships to academies anymore because the USWNT players want more money.

Yeah, the USWNT players suing USSF was just a publicity stunt when the problems were from FIFA in the difference in the monies from the World Cup payments because the Men's World Cup makes 10x over what the Women's World Cup makes in revenue. What's the USSF supposed to do there? Give them monies from other budgets/programs so they match the Men's payments from the World Cup? Sorry kids, we can't fund your scholarships to academies anymore because the USWNT players want more money.
So what you're saying is the right thing to do would have been to sue FIFA, not USSF.

Equal pay has nothing to do with what we see on the field. The issue is us soccer. Even at my 7 year olds training, it’s about the individual. European teams learn the tactics and the collective. We need better coaching from bottom up. I hate agreeing but the German was right.

Reactions: Gotham Gator
So what you're saying is the right thing to do would have been to sue FIFA, not USSF.
Yup, because at least then you’re going against the party responsible for the differences in payments between the two tournaments.

While it's fair to blame FIFA, the USSF is the one who gets to decide where the World Cup money goes. It's paid to them, not directly to the players.

That said, the female players were reacting to a general situation where they are paid much much less than their male counterparts: less in sponsorships, less in club salaries, less in FIFA money. Abby Wambach won a big award at the ESPYs alongside Lebron James and Peyton Manning. She noted that they had all won the same award as a sports icon, but James and Manning had earned tons of money and were set for life. She had very little to carry her through retirement.

So, women make a lot less in sports, and it's good to address that. The problem I have with the equal pay case by the USWNT players is that they sued the one party that was - for the most part - trying to treat them fairly. The women couldn't sue their club teams; they couldn't sue sponsors; they couldn't sue FIFA. But, they could sue US Soccer, who was at least trying to treat them fairly. So, that's what they did.

While it's fair to blame FIFA, the USSF is the one who gets to decide where the World Cup money goes. It's paid to them, not directly to the players.

That said, the female players were reacting to a general situation where they are paid much much less than their male counterparts: less in sponsorships, less in club salaries, less in FIFA money. Abby Wambach won a big award at the ESPYs alongside Lebron James and Peyton Manning. She noted that they had all won the same award as a sports icon, but James and Manning had earned tons of money and were set for life. She had very little to carry her through retirement.

So, women make a lot less in sports, and it's good to address that. The problem I have with the equal pay case by the USWNT players is that they sued the one party that was - for the most part - trying to treat them fairly. The women couldn't sue their club teams; they couldn't sue sponsors; they couldn't sue FIFA. But, they could sue US Soccer, who was at least trying to treat them fairly. So, that's what they did.
Great response, validating both the grievances felt by the women, and the lack of actionable options available to them, as well as the unsatisfactory, and, in a vacuum unfair, approach they ultimately took. Thank you. What are you, a lawyer or something? :D

Reactions: SoupInNYC
Great response, validating both the grievances felt by the women, and the lack of actionable options available to them, as well as the unsatisfactory, and, in a vacuum unfair, approach they ultimately took. Thank you. What are you, a lawyer or something? :D
sad stan marsh GIF by South Park

• Haha
Reactions: SoupInNYC
Ugh, stop elbowing me, I’m up, I’m UP!

The thing is the USWNT actually should have won this game - for all the handwringing about how bad they were against the Dutch and Portugal, they took the game to the Swedes, dominated possession and were kept from winning in regulation by a top class keeper performance. Sweden basically had set pieces and that was it offensively and the USWNT consistently could get the ball and hold possession.

On to extra time and the shootout - first, let’s all thank Rapinoe for a legendary 2019 performance but she was awful this entire tournament - her corners consistently didn’t clear the first defender, added no pace, and she missed her penalty. The coach should have seen that she just didn’t have it this whole tournament.

On the penalties, the Sweden keeper didn’t even have to make a save. Can’t miss 3 penalties off frame - including the one to send you through to the next round - and expect to go through. Once again - putting Rapinoe and then Smith (Vlatko pulled an England) for the final two penalties was not smart. Shouldn’t have made the sub to take out Alex Morgan.

I feel for Naeher - she did her job and saved a penalty, even converted one (by smashing the ball at the keepers head no less) and her teammates let her down.

Reactions: Sabo and Vallos
The thing is the USWNT actually should have won this game - for all the handwringing about how bad they were against the Dutch and Portugal, they took the game to the Swedes, dominated possession and were kept from winning in regulation by a top class keeper performance. Sweden basically had set pieces and that was it offensively and the USWNT consistently could get the ball and hold possession.

On to extra time and the shootout - first, let’s all thank Rapinoe for a legendary 2019 performance but she was awful this entire tournament - her corners consistently didn’t clear the first defender, added no pace, and she missed her penalty. The coach should have seen that she just didn’t have it this whole tournament.

On the penalties, the Sweden keeper didn’t even have to make a save. Can’t miss 3 penalties off frame - including the one to send you through to the next round - and expect to go through. Once again - putting Rapinoe and then Smith (Vlatko pulled an England) for the final two penalties was not smart. Shouldn’t have made the sub to take out Alex Morgan.

I feel for Naeher - she did her job and saved a penalty, even converted one (by smashing the ball at the keepers head no less) and her teammates let her down.

and laughed about it? guess she kinda felt it was the icing on her not so great performance cake?

The defense was stellar. They conceded 2 shots on target and 1 goal in 4 games. The problem was they scored just 4 goals (on 9xG) and 3 of their goals were against Vietnam. Bad finishing or bad luck. That's always the question ain't it. But today it probably was bad luck due to Musovic putting in a strong performance.

Naeher's shot reminded me of Callens.

and laughed about it? guess she kinda felt it was the icing on her not so great performance cake?

I'm not a fan of Rapinoe but I think the smile/laugh after her miss was more likely a weird reaction due to stress and disappointment and knowing this was could be her last World Cup moment. I don't think it reflected amusement.

Last edited:

The handwringing was, in part, valid. They brought and started the wrong attackers, leading to 1-1 and 0-0 draws to end the group stage (not to mention scoring only 3 against overmatched Vietnam). More important, if they win the group, they have a much easier draw in the Round of 16.

They could, and should, have won today. But the team and roster construction built the bed (grave) they lie in.

first, let’s all thank Rapinoe for a legendary 2019 performance
I thought Rapinoe was legendary in 2015 and just decent in 2019. Thought she was still an impactful player in 2019 and one of the main reasons the USWNT won it all then, but that she was already on her decline from 2015 when she was incredible.