2023 Roster and Transfer Discussion Thread

Which positions do you think need a new signing?

• Goalkeeper

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Center back

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • Left back

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Right back

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • Defensive Midfielder

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Midfielder (standard)

• Attacking Midfielder

• Striker (forward)

Votes: 48 92.3%
  • Left Winger

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Right Winger

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
2022 transfers in (age):
- Thiago Martins (26)
- Kevin O'Toole (23) - not really sure he fits here as he was a local kid, initial depth signing, etc. don't think he fits into any grand transfer plan
- Gabriel Pereira (20)
- Matias Pelligrini (22) - he probably shouldn't be here but instead below in 2023 as a 23 year-old since he was just initially claimed off waivers and then later signed permanently

2023 transfers in (age):
- Braian Cufre (26)
- Monsef Bakrar (22)
- Birk Risa (25)
- Mitja Ilenic (18)

- Matt Freese (24)
- Tony Alfaro (29)
- Gabriel Segal (21)
- Richy Ledezma (22)
- James Sands (22) - not sure he really should be included here since he returned from loan
- Santiago Rodriguez (23)
- *Julian Fernandez (19)

Yeah, most of the signings are on the younger side of things for sure, but when we look at those that I think fit a "transfer plan" in terms of the first team roster (those that I've bolded above), it's about 50/50 in terms of youth signings vs veteran signings the last two years. Cufre, Risa, and Thiago Martins were all square in the middle of their career while Ilenic, Pereira, Bakrar, and Fernandez are all real young signings.

It's a valid point that my "all under 22" comment was an exaggeration but I still think your list proves that there has been a major shift in the style of roster building. Look at some of the key players on the championship team and the year they joined that look very little in both age and experience like the majority of our recent signings.

Chanot - 26
Callens - 25
Johnson - 28
Gudi - 29
Tinnerholm - 27
Maxi -30
Rocha - 26
Alfredo Morales - 31
Heber - 28
ITS - 25

There were many young guys that look like our current signings too but they were balanced out by the players listed above. My main complaint as I look at our current roster moves is that to me it looks like most of the selections are about what's best for CFG and not what's best for NYCFC. All the young guys are just dice rolls for CFG and I would also say the Martins move was a BS waste of a DP spot on our roster because CFG needed to move a player around within the org.

It's a valid point that my "all under 22" comment was an exaggeration but I still think your list proves that there has been a major shift in the style of roster building. Look at some of the key players on the championship team and the year they joined that look very little in both age and experience like the majority of our recent signings.

Chanot - 26
Callens - 25
Johnson - 28
Gudi - 29
Tinnerholm - 27
Maxi -30
Rocha - 26
Alfredo Morales - 31
Heber - 28
ITS - 25

There were many young guys that look like our current signings too but they were balanced out by the players listed above. My main complaint as I look at our current roster moves is that to me it looks like most of the selections are about what's best for CFG and not what's best for NYCFC. All the young guys are just dice rolls for CFG and I would also say the Martins move was a BS waste of a DP spot on our roster because CFG needed to move a player around within the org.
So, this is fair (though I would argue against the inclusion of Rocha as while he was a nice role player, I don't think he fits true roster building strategy in terms of big impact). But we are comparing 1.5 years of transfers in above to 6 years of transfers in with the players you listed:

2016 - Chanot
2017 - Sean Johnson, Alex Callens, Maxi Moralez
2018 - Anton Tinnerholm, Ismael Tajouri-Shradi
2019 - Heber, Rocha
2020 - Gudi
2021 - Alfredo Morales

In terms of veteran signings per year, I think the club is still wavering around the ~2 or so per year they generally do. I think it's just been exacerbated by the exodus of veteran players following last season.

Additionally, there are now initiatives designed by the league to have teams sign young players, specifically the young DP rule that using then triggers the U-22 spots. U-22 spots, as well as the YDP, cannot be used on guys that are less than 22 years old obviously.

GP, Santi's initial signing, Fernandez, Bakrar, Talles Magno, Thiago Andrade, these are all guys that fit under that initiative so I don't think it's really fair to compare their signings to the lack of veteran signings.

Yeah, the club is signing more young players than before, but their still signing veteran players at a similar pace as before as well. There's just now incentives for more money being splashed for younger players and not doing so is wasting those initiatives that cannot be used on older players

Window closes Wednesday, August 2nd. Would like 1-2 more pieces besides Julian Fernandez if we can squeeze them in...

i'd really like a some right back depth. ilenic and gray aren't enough. and i'd rather not have to rely on turnbull

This team kinda reminds me of FC Dallas without the fully built up academy. A lot of young potential gets brought into the first team with a few experienced players sprinkled in. If the young potential player hits, then we sell for a big profit, if they don’t hit, then we either are stuck with them and/or release them at the next best opportunity allowing our veterans to continue to age and reload with new young potential. It’s not exactly a winning model.

Reactions: Kjbert and Gene
I wonder how much this entire thread boils down to this. If we had been starting Chanot and Alfaro all year but we had a DP striker, what would our record be?

I've about decided that the Martins DP signing is Lee's biggest mistake, because of the distorting effects it had on the rest of the roster build. A shame because he's a decent player. But the upside for a CB DP is minimal. And Martins has been solid but not amazing and has missed a decent number of games as well.
Plus I think we could have gotten a starting CB at a quality level somewhere between Martins and Alfaro.

Last edited:
I've about decided that the Martins DP signing is Lee's biggest mistake, because of the distorting effects it had on the rest of the roster build. A shame because he's a decent player. But the upside for a CB DP is minimal. And Martins has been solid but not amazing and has missed a decent number of games as well.
Plus I think we could have gotten a starting CB at a quality level somewhere between Martins and Alfaro.
Very true. Plus, most of what makes Martins a DP is the transfer fee, which was way too high, and given his age, won't be recouped.

This is assuming Lee even had a say in it. Nothing about that transfer makes any sense. According to transfermarkt, Martins was sold from Palmeiras to Yokohama F. M. in 2020 for €1.8M at 25 years old. After the transfer he spent 2 years in the J-league which by all accounts is an inferior league to both the Brazilian league where he started and the MLS. Then at age 27, far beyond any age where he'd be considered an up-and-coming prospect we paid €3.64m for him. How on earth does 2 years in the J-league double his market value?

I know it's a bit tin-foil hat but I see no other reasonable explanation for that valuation other than CFG needed to shift some money around and used our DP spot to do it.

I'd even go one step further and question if Callens leaves without Martin's arrival. How much of Callen's motivation to move on came from playing every day next to a guy making more than him even though he was a better player? These guys are ultra-competitive, they know what the "DP" label means it had to have bothered Callens at least a little bit and I wouldn't blame him if it did.

Surprising move. 22-YO defensive mid - a position we have pretty well covered right now. Got a lot of playing time with Orlando the last two seasons. Was traded to Philly before this season and has struggled for playing time after a few early appearances.

Reactions: JohnB and JayH
Odd. 300K for a rental. If he is a defensive mid then maybe more backup for sands than parks, but technically have haak. Unless haak is now considered a CB

This is assuming Lee even had a say in it. Nothing about that transfer makes any sense. According to transfermarkt, Martins was sold from Palmeiras to Yokohama F. M. in 2020 for €1.8M at 25 years old. After the transfer he spent 2 years in the J-league which by all accounts is an inferior league to both the Brazilian league where he started and the MLS. Then at age 27, far beyond any age where he'd be considered an up-and-coming prospect we paid €3.64m for him. How on earth does 2 years in the J-league double his market value?

I know it's a bit tin-foil hat but I see no other reasonable explanation for that valuation other than CFG needed to shift some money around and used our DP spot to do it.

I'd even go one step further and question if Callens leaves without Martin's arrival. How much of Callen's motivation to move on came from playing every day next to a guy making more than him even though he was a better player? These guys are ultra-competitive, they know what the "DP" label means it had to have bothered Callens at least a little bit and I wouldn't blame him if it did.
Sometimes CFG is a football group and other times it's a financial group.