A Letter to Patricof

FootyLovin

No better obsession
Elite Donor
Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Feb 15, 2015
Sea Cliff NY
There are many of us who feel strongly about the puto chant. Below is a letter I will be sending to President Jon Patricof, co-signed by joe joe. If anyone else would like to be added to the co-sign, please post below with your name, number of season tickets and section. And of course, any suggestions for the letter are also welcome. Thanks.

September 9, 2016

Dear Jon,

I am a season ticket holder writing you today in hopes you can change a disturbing trend at Yankee Stadium - the rise of the puto chant.

The puto chant is one of the most shameful acts associated with the sport of soccer, and the fact that it is heard in our melting pot city is of deep concern. If a chant was heard throughout the stadium that included a derogatory term for blacks or Hispanics or Jews, the club would act. So too, the club should act to support the LGBTQ community.

You have the power to change this. If our players have time to get on video and answer questions about whether they’d rather fight a horse sized duck or 100 duck sized horses, surely they could make a video telling our fans that real New Yorkers don’t support the puto chant.

I love going to games, and in fact, my daughter was featured in the pregame fan of the game video recently. We see ourselves as season ticket holders for life. But this ugly display takes the joy out of otherwise terrific outings for my family.

I hope you will act to restore honor to our team and a safe, inclusive atmosphere for all fans.

Yours Truly,
Noah Blumenthal, 8 tickets, section 136

Co-Signed,
Joe Williams, 2 tickets, Section 238

While I would love to see the club do something productive towards discouraging this chant and I fully support this letter, I would like to simultaneously conduct a fan-based approach to this issue. The supporter's groups should launch a multi-faceted effort towards discouraging this conduct. Prior to a future game, the group's should launch a social-media and email based campaign discouraging their members, and anyone following them on social media, from taking part. At the matches, before kickoff, the groups and/or the club should create signage or leaflets discouraging it. And during the matches, anyone saying it should hear something about it from others (this is tougher, as I can understand people wanting to avoid confrontation) or be reported to security.
The club should, in fact should already have, taken meaningful steps to eliminate this from the stadium, but they have not yet. Since the one's taking part in this act are fans, and it's coming most prominently from the supporter's sections (maybe not necessarily primarily from SG members?) I do believe that other supporter's have a responsibility to take action as well. If we can eliminate it from the supporter's section, I believe we can pretty much eliminate it from the stadium, at least to the point where it can only be heard from small numbers in little sections of the stadium.

So I apologize from taken attention away from your great initiative, which I think is important, but I believe a fan-supported approach can be done just as effectively and perhaps more immediately. Part of me fears that a management-led effort may backfire without the full support of the supporter's. So I would encourage folks active on social media and those who participate in the supporter's sections to work on this approach while simultaneously pressuring the club to take action.

How will this letter be seen by those in a position to do something about it?? Something should be done and Yes the players should make PSA on this matter! There's someone on the team that has a Very Strong Opinion against Intolerance !! Someone who's had to deal with and watch this kind of crap first hand with a stomach turning in Anger . I know for a fact we might see some English come out for this message. What makes this team so special among many things is there are a lot of Loving Fathers who make it up. Fathers who want a Better world for their children just like the one who wrote this letter. So it's my Hope that those who need to see it and be aware of this problem see it and do something about it! I know the players would!

Its a word. A word that means " male prostuite". From a young adult, to older ones, grow up and grow a pair
Regardless of how you feel, it is offensive to many. It's not original, it's not cool, it's not necessary and could easily be replaced by something more mature or not be replaced with anything. It's just not needed and I can't understand why anyone over the age of 16 would find it cool. It's only a little bit worse than "fuck the red bulls" or other stupid things, but still it has no need in an english speaking soccer community.
It's kind of like the "N word". It may not offend everyone, but it is extremely offensive to some in any context, so my simple rule has always been to never say it in any context.

Its a word. A word that means " male prostuite". From a young adult, to older ones, grow up and grow a pair
Dude...from someone who was once a young adult, you don't want to make your stand over something like this. I ain't mad. You'll figure it out. I know what it's like to be young and not understand that even if you think something is cute/cool/funny, not everyone sees that something as innocuous.

There are many of us who feel strongly about the puto chant. Below is a letter I will be sending to President Jon Patricof, co-signed by joe joe. If anyone else would like to be added to the co-sign, please post below with your name, number of season tickets and section. And of course, any suggestions for the letter are also welcome. Thanks.

September 9, 2016

Dear Jon,

I am a season ticket holder writing you today in hopes you can change a disturbing trend at Yankee Stadium - the rise of the puto chant.

The puto chant is one of the most shameful acts associated with the sport of soccer, and the fact that it is heard in our melting pot city is of deep concern. If a chant was heard throughout the stadium that included a derogatory term for blacks or Hispanics or Jews, the club would act. So too, the club should act to support the LGBTQ community.

You have the power to change this. If our players have time to get on video and answer questions about whether they’d rather fight a horse sized duck or 100 duck sized horses, surely they could make a video telling our fans that real New Yorkers don’t support the puto chant.

I love going to games, and in fact, my daughter was featured in the pregame fan of the game video recently. We see ourselves as season ticket holders for life. But this ugly display takes the joy out of otherwise terrific outings for my family.

I hope you will act to restore honor to our team and a safe, inclusive atmosphere for all fans.

Yours Truly,

Co-Signed,
You can put my name on it. 2 tickets, section 233b. Thanks for getting this rolling.

While I would love to see the club do something productive towards discouraging this chant and I fully support this letter, I would like to simultaneously conduct a fan-based approach to this issue. The supporter's groups should launch a multi-faceted effort towards discouraging this conduct. Prior to a future game, the group's should launch a social-media and email based campaign discouraging their members, and anyone following them on social media, from taking part. At the matches, before kickoff, the groups and/or the club should create signage or leaflets discouraging it. And during the matches, anyone saying it should hear something about it from others (this is tougher, as I can understand people wanting to avoid confrontation) or be reported to security.
The club should, in fact should already have, taken meaningful steps to eliminate this from the stadium, but they have not yet. Since the one's taking part in this act are fans, and it's coming most prominently from the supporter's sections (maybe not necessarily primarily from SG members?) I do believe that other supporter's have a responsibility to take action as well. If we can eliminate it from the supporter's section, I believe we can pretty much eliminate it from the stadium, at least to the point where it can only be heard from small numbers in little sections of the stadium.

So I apologize from taken attention away from your great initiative, which I think is important, but I believe a fan-supported approach can be done just as effectively and perhaps more immediately. Part of me fears that a management-led effort may backfire without the full support of the supporter's. So I would encourage folks active on social media and those who participate in the supporter's sections to work on this approach while simultaneously pressuring the club to take action.
I like what you say a lot. I'll add the following to the letter:

P.S. I suspect a coordinated effort with the Supporters Groups would be welcomed and most effective.

September 9, 2016

Dear Jon,

Yours Truly,

Co-Signed,
Add me to it. Chris Campbell, 1 ticket, section 237

Come on man....you know that's not what it actually means when its used....

And f*g means a "bundle of sticks" while we're at it. That means that should be ok to yell at the game?

A much less hyperbolic example, the confederate flag "represents southern heritage and Dixie-land". Should the FC Dallas fans be waving confederate flags within their supporters sections? Sometimes its not about the actual true meaning of something (or necessarily what it means to you specifically), but what it represents to the greater group.

I would suggest that 80% of people view the p*to chant as very homophobic. So much, that when I called out guys in 237 at the last game why they were chanting it, there was no reason provided back to me.

Thanks all. I plan to send tomorrow morning. If anyone else wants to add their names there is still time.

Once sent I will certainly keep you posted of any response.

Reactions: Albany_NYCFC
Thanks all. I plan to send tomorrow morning. If anyone else wants to add their names there is still time.

Once sent I will certainly keep you posted of any response.
Please add me too:
Rick Palmer 4 tickets 214A

And yes I can hear it from our end along with a few starting in the 215 area..........

I'm not a big P.C. guy, but it's not like someone saying something's "gay" as slang without thinking about it. It's a deliberate term to call a goalkeeper a "fag" as if it was a bad thing. I've been suprised since day 1 that I heard it at our stadium. It's dumb, offensive and immature. There is no way as supporters we should allow any of us to target a specific group in a derogatory way. Kudos for FootyLovin FootyLovin for getting this going, it's actually long overdue. I do think the letter will fall on deaf ears. I don't want to direct negative attention towards the team either, as it may be perceived the wrong way. BUT. We can figure out some creative effective ways to get the message across.

2 Tix / Section 109

Last edited: