Alex Ring Traded to Austin FC

As much as i was down on him this season and this news elates me, I do think he was important enough to warrant his own thread. What he was for us in the past earns him a small bit of respect.

Agreed. This is a big talking point. I was being too LionMODy in the AM.

• Haha
Reactions: NYCFC_Dan
WHAT THE FUUUUUCCCKKKKK

I mean, I'm actually fine with the trade, believe it or not. We have a lot of capable CM's and tbh, Ring isn't the best captain...

But man, am I sad. What a player he's been for us. Gonna miss ya, ringleader!

...Tinnerholm captain?
It won't be a good sign if we don't sign someone this offseason who is an solid captain option.

It won't be a good sign if we don't sign someone this offseason who is an solid captain option.
Can’t start the season with a captain that’s never played a game with the team. SJ or Callens need to take it and if we sign some high profile DP and they perform for us then maybe they hand off the baton.

Reactions: Kjbert and Shwafta
what im confused about is didn't we just buy an international spot from portland? And mitri gone and now ring going away frees up another international spot, so are we getting three international signings? Are going to have a major overhaul coming?

what im confused about is didn't we just buy an international spot from portland? And mitri gone and now ring going away frees up another international spot, so are we getting three international signings? Are going to have a major overhaul coming?

yes.. lee said in the video to expect more changes "both incoming and outgoing" to the squad.

The only way this all makes sense is that Ring wanted a considerably better deal, that Lee wasn't prepared to give him, for whatever reason. Because, like it or not, Ring has been the spider in the middle of the cobweb of this team for the past four seasons (although Deila didn't always think so, playing him on the left flank), and he will be as difficult to replace as David Villa was. Obviously Austin are going to pay him well (perhaps make him a DP?), and it's hard for a player nearing his 30th birthday to say no to that.

Ring was a terrific servant to this team, and never gave anything less than 100% as he promised when he arrived. Would he have stayed had he been made a DP? I don't know. The club's designated player policy has been such shambles that discussing this would need its own thread...

He did score some crackers, and who'd forget that strike versus Red Bull in October, but my lasting memory of him is when he in a match vs. Atlanta spurted after Almiron, caught him up as the deepest defender and tackled the ball out of play. That was Alex Ring at his best.

giphy.gif

Which outfield player has Ring's leadership?

Exactly. Not a single other player on the field brings the intensity and uplift that Ring brings. He leads by example and with his voice. Trading him is a huge hole in the leadership department. I think we really missed him on the field vs Tigres and would have been a totally diff game had he been playing.

Reporting -- or just speculation ("It seems") -- from Roberto Abramowitz that Ring wanted a new deal and could not come to terms with NYCFC,and Austin was willing to pay a lot (to us, to Ring, both?). People need to write more clearly, even on Twitter.

This doesn't surprise me. As Soup said in the other thread, Ring recently bought a house in the area. It doesn't seem like he wanted to go but he is not ready to retire or take a pay cut. Ring is not that old and has been a league best d-mid. The club MUST have their sights on some big name players that will require the extra money in salary to sign.

Can’t start the season with a captain that’s never played a game with the team. SJ or Callens need to take it and if we sign some high profile DP and they perform for us then maybe they hand off the bat
It happens pretty frequently when you sign the right guy. Thiago Silva was captain on day 1 at Chelsea.

And I did say "option".

This doesn't surprise me. As Soup said in the other thread, Ring recently bought a house in the area. It doesn't seem like he wanted to go but he is not ready to retire or take a pay cut. Ring is not that old and has been a league best d-mid. The club MUST have their sights on some big name players that will require the extra money in salary to sign.

I have the feeling that Ring thought he would be that big name but the club didn't think so.

What worries about this move is that you can sign a big name as a DP, but it's still sheer lottery. Not all big name DPs have real impact. Ring surely wasn't a big name signing when he came, but someone Viera had been tracking for a long time. During the last years very few newcomers have strengthened the side, and that is very much because between Vieira, Torrent and Deila there were only 18 months.

I've pointed out before that very few players that have come after Johnson/Ring/Callens/Moralez in 2017 have truly strengthened the team (in fact Tinnerholm is the only one that counts, and nobody knew about him before he came). It seems that players are added in hope that they'll do well, but there's little else proper team building.

I'm both devastated and hopeful about this. Ring was my favorite NYC player, one of the best DMs in the league, and was loyal to the club. His grit, toughness, and leadership will be sorely missed. I'm hopeful about the trio of Acevedo, Sands, and Parks, but with Sands' injury history and having not seen too much of Acevedo, I'm a little nervous about the midfield going into next year. But I'm hopeful that Sands can stay healthy and Acevedo can step up and do a good job.

I think Johnson's gotta be captain, he's been around long enough and as a GK has to be a leader anyway. I'd be OK with Chanot too. Maxi will probably leave after this season, and Tinnerholm is too hot-headed in the games.

Goodbye Ringleader, you'll always get a standing ovation from me when we play eachother.

Ring had a green card so he didn't take an international spot. Maxi, Gudi, Cacha, and Heber are our four international players.

Ring's budget charge in 2019 was like 950k, so this generated a whole bunch of cap/allocation room.

Correct me if I'm wrong...

If the club were looking ahead, knowing that Medina would no longer be a DP, knowing that Maxi is getting older and they'll need a new #10, why didn't they just renew Maxi for ONE year instead of two? Out of the two of them, I would rather have Ring than Maxi. Take maxi off the payroll and there's lots of money to spend and a DP slot open on a possible game changing player. Now we are stuck with a slower, not as hard working, frequently injured player for big bucks while we let a pillar of our club, who bled for the badge, go to frickin austin.

Reactions: adam and Annagram
Correct me if I'm wrong...

If the club were looking ahead, knowing that Medina would no longer be a DP, knowing that Maxi is getting older and they'll need a new #10, why didn't they just renew Maxi for ONE year instead of two? Out of the two of them, I would rather have Ring than Maxi. Take maxi off the payroll and there's lots of money to spend and a DP slot open on a possible game changing player. Now we are stuck with a slower, not as hard working, frequently injured player for big bucks while we let a pillar of our club, who bled for the badge, go to frickin austin.

i mean...reyna was still in charge when maxi was given a new contract. also maxi was still moving upward. only this year he did bad and age caught up to him.

EDIT: also...wont maxi salary not really affect cap as much as ring? since he is a DP isint it only like 450K that gets counted? rings salary will have more of an impact no?

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
Reporting -- or just speculation ("It seems") -- from Roberto Abramowitz that Ring wanted a new deal and could not come to terms with NYCFC,and Austin was willing to pay a lot (to us, to Ring, both?). People need to write more clearly, even on Twitter.

I think he's wrong about this. Ring signed a "multi-year extension" after the 2018 season and he wasn't even at an option year after 2020.