All Things Coffee ...

Grind should be similar to sand or salt - so for me that's pretty fine - closer to fine then the middle setting but close. Does that help?

Reusable filter? link me please

I want a Ninja coffee maker machine thingy.

I was gifted beans from Porto Rico for my birthday. Currently enjoying the Brazilian. Ripped straight through the Hawaiian Maui the first week :D

Nice - I didn't see until after posting that it makes standard style coffee as well.

Question - I know it is a double boiler - do you find you are able to steam milk and draw espresso consistently - as in draw two shots steam milk for a drink, draw two more shots in rapid succession or does it require some rebound time?

Just curious - I love the machine in theory I just know for my preferences I want a dial and a knob, more analog style i suppose. At that price though it can't be beat!
Sorry. Missed this. Next time, please reply or tag me so I catch the question.

No rebound time on the Magnifica. Takes about 2-3 minutes to warm up when first turned on (the longest 3 minutes of every day). Then each cup takes around 60-90 seconds to brew. But you can press the button immediately from one cup to the next.

Cappuccino brew time is longer. If I had it to do over again I would not get the automatic milk frother. I would get one with an arm for manual steaming. Our auto frother made great froth, then inexplicably stopped doing anything more than drizzle warm milk, then equally inexplicably went back to delivering great froth. Next time I buy, I'll buy the one with the manual frother to have more control.

haha More specifically; is a La Pavoni worth it?
Ahh. Now I understand. Don't know about that one. But I do love my Magnifica.

And now I feel like one of the jersey shills trying to get us all to buy from Ali Baba or wherever. I swear, I'm not employed by DeLonghi.

All I want for X-Mas ... http://www.clivecoffee.com/product/la-marzocco-linea-mini.html?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Search - Espresso&utm_term=marzocco linea mini

So Scott SFphoto SFphoto I say save up and get a workhorse!

On another espresso making line if thinking ...

Anyone have any experience with the Rok?

http://www.rokkitchentools.com/going to play with one in December - keep you all posted.
That's a lot of money for a coffee maker. My neighbor is the biggest coffee expert I know. His view on the relative impact of different components to the taste of the coffee:
  1. Don't over roast. The roast is one of the key elements. Too many people think darker roast equals stronger and better, whereas in actuality darker roast often cooks away the subtler flavors of the coffee.
  2. Recency/freshness of roast. Use the beans between 1 and 4 days after roasting.
  3. Recency of grind. Grind right before brew.
  4. Type of grind.
  5. Coffee maker.
Point being. There's a lot you can do to affect your coffee. The maker is one of the last and least critical elements. That said, I still love my DeLonghi. But I also note that my coffee tastes demonstrably better when my neighbor gives me a batch of his home roasted beans.

That's a lot of money for a coffee maker. My neighbor is the biggest coffee expert I know. His view on the relative impact of different components to the taste of the coffee:
  1. Don't over roast. The roast is one of the key elements. Too many people think darker roast equals stronger and better, whereas in actuality darker roast often cooks away the subtler flavors of the coffee.
  2. Recency/freshness of roast. Use the beans between 1 and 4 days after roasting.
  3. Recency of grind. Grind right before brew.
  4. Type of grind.
  5. Coffee maker.
Point being. There's a lot you can do to affect your coffee. The maker is one of the last and least critical elements. That said, I still love my DeLonghi. But I also note that my coffee tastes demonstrably better when my neighbor gives me a batch of his home roasted beans.

Absolutely- fo espresso the first thing to do after getting fresh beans is to have the right grind. But if we are wish listing - I'll take the Linea!

Made a push for the magnifica at work - I'm doing a little cost benefit analysis of it over K cups.

We shall see!

Absolutely- fo espresso the first thing to do after getting fresh beans is to have the right grind. But if we are wish listing - I'll take the Linea!

Made a push for the magnifica at work - I'm doing a little cost benefit analysis of it over K cups.

We shall see!
Cost benefit is crystal clear. Wife and I calculated for our home use based on approx 5 cups/day.

Keurig
Initial investment = $100
Cost per cup = $.60
Cost per year = approx $1,000

Magnifica
Initial investment = $1,000
Cost per cup = $.10
Cost per year = approx $150

Keurig is crazy expensive by comparison, especially if you are using in an office where many more than 5 cups/day will be consumed.

I had coffee made in a sock like this in Central America. It was petty good but I was on vacation so stuff always tastes better
th.jpg

I had coffee made in a sock like this in Central America. It was petty good but I was on vacation so stuff always tastes betterView attachment 3613
Yup. I've had that on vaca. Very good. But you can't trust someone breaking a fast who says the bagel in their hand is the best bagel that's ever been made. That's just the hunger talking. Context makes a big difference.

Good grief! Three pages of posts about a drink?!

I think I'll stick to tea bags and hot water. It seems way more straightforward than all this coffee memorabilia stuff.

Good grief! Three pages of posts about a drink?!

I think I'll stick to tea bags and hot water. It seems way more straightforward than all this coffee memorabilia stuff.
Perhaps we could start a yerba mate thread to go along with this one. Could easily go on for pages. Or heck, I vote for an egg cream thread too. No need for a milk shake thread though as the black & white is the only way to go.