Are The Red Bulls Going To Sell?

LostAnvil

Registered
Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Dec 18, 2014
NY/US/NA/E/SS/OA/MW/LG/VS/OU
www.bigapplesoccer.com/columns/lewis.php?article_id=39806

"According to soccer sources, good sources that I have spoken to around the United States, it comes down to this:

Red Bull has given up on the New York Red Bulls.

Yep, they are up for sale.

SI.com reported that bit of information a few months back, but more and more sources are coming out of the woodwork to say so."

But why fire Petke? Because he wanted to rebuild his squad and they don't want to put the money in? It's absurd.

If they do sell the new owner would be smart to bring Petke back on. He's been successful and he'd be the perfect face to help ease the transition to a new branding (hopefully one that's a bit less corporate).

Reactions: Paul and LostAnvil
If someone buys them and returns them to MetroStars then I wonder if we see an exodus of supporters who came over to NYCFC due to Red Bull ownership. It seems to be a key complaint of a lot of former Red Bull supporters that they are angry due to the rebranding.

Metrostars>redbulls.

I hate the name red bulls the logo and their stupid energy drinks. I hope they sell the team. I can't wait for the first game against them. It's going to be a good rivalry, good for mls and the fans. Let's go CITY!!

It's in our best interest that rb doesn't sell and keeps them ailing. That ensures that when CFG decides to fuck us again, our jersey friends don't have a brand new owner under the name metrostars or w.e whose main focus is the club and not some other entity in Europe.

Meh, didn't this story come out before ? I feel they are not out there looking for a buyer but are most likely willing to listen if someone is interested and contacts them.

I d think it's plausible they have given up RBNY so they can focus on Leipzig but why not just close down RB Brazil or RB Ghana team instead?

Thank god. They must be too occupied by their German team.

The reason for getting out here is they can't buy titles, in fact, they could barely buy anything.

And with a monster (no pun intended) like NYCFC moving into the city, as opposed to Jersey, they probably figure its hopeless.

Reactions: PAOKNYC 4 Life
Thank god. They must be too occupied by their German team.

The reason for getting out here is they can't buy titles, in fact, they could barely buy anything.

And with a monster (no pun intended) like NYCFC moving into the city, as opposed to Jersey, they probably figure its hopeless.
You could have a lot of fun with a NYCFC against a NJ United or something like that. Red Bulls were at the wrong place, wrong time.

Reactions: Kjbert
Regardless, I hope new ownership finally changes the name, location and mascot.

There's already a thread about this, but I felt compelled to reply to this statement nonetheless. Location isn't changing. Red Bull Arena is still basically new and is one of the best SSS in the country. If anything the stadium will be used to attract potential owners. And of course the name and mascot are going to change. Do you think Red Bull is going to allow someone else to use their name?

In location, I meant the name...New Jersey. Sorry about the confusion.

There has to be something else at play here. Maybe Red Bull cans Petke so he gets a full contract payout? because they know the team will be sold within a certain amount of time?

The amount of sporting staff and players that have been moved...it's just really odd.

There has to be something else at play here. Maybe Red Bull cans Petke so he gets a full contract payout? because they know the team will be sold within a certain amount of time?

The amount of sporting staff and players that have been moved...it's just really odd.

Yes, but then why hire a new GM and a new coach. You would htink new ownership would want to dictate all of that. Cleaning house could make sense. But then hiring a bunch of other people doesn't.

I think this is just a house cleansing to go in a cheaper, more efficient direction until they know what they want to do.

And I would love for a behometh like the Glazers or Trump or someone like that to get involved in this league. Let the league be the toy of Billionaires. It's worked for the EPL. The league already has Billionaires' running squads -

The Leveins and Thohirs - DC United
Al-Mansour - NYCFC
The Krafts - NE Revolution
The Anschutzs - LA Galaxy
Stan Kroenke - Colorado
Paul Allen - Seattle
Arthur Blank - Atlanta
And the LAFC ownership team.

It's just too bad some of these guys run the squads like they do.

Reactions: einwindir

A lot of MLS staffs are undergoing a lot of change.

Yes, but then why hire a new GM and a new coach. You would htink new ownership would want to dictate all of that. Cleaning house could make sense. But then hiring a bunch of other people doesn't.

I think this is just a house cleansing to go in a cheaper, more efficient direction until they know what they want to do.

And I would love for a behometh like the Glazers or Trump or someone like that to get involved in this league. Let the league be the toy of Billionaires. It's worked for the EPL. The league already has Billionaires' running squads -

The Leveins and Thohirs - DC United
Al-Mansour - NYCFC
The Krafts - NE Revolution
The Anschutzs - LA Galaxy
Stan Kroenke - Colorado
Paul Allen - Seattle
Arthur Blank - Atlanta
And the LAFC ownership team.

It's just too bad some of these guys run the squads like they do.
The Hunts in Dallas, MLSE in Toronto, Greg Kerfoot in Vancouver, Sugarman in Philly and Hansen in SLC are also billionaires.

Those that are "just" 100 millionaires?
- Sporting Club in KC
- Wolf in SJ
- Paulsen in Portland
- Hauptman in Chicago
- Precourt in Columbus
- Rawlins/da Silva in Orlando
- Saputo in Montreal

Did I miss any?

Well they needed a GM no matter what. And shitcanning Petke to prepare for a sale almost makes sense. They only hired Marsh on a year contract, even though bringing him in was supposedly part of Curtis' 5 year plan. To me, that says a lot about their commitment to this new regime.