Atlanta Phoenix

Johnny

Registered
Mar 20, 2014
I heard firebirds was a popular choice, but Phoenix won the fan vote for their name. Thoughts? I think it can grow on me, and it fits in with Atlanta's obsession with bird nicknames.

Reactions: Kjbert
The name really doesn't grab me at all, but then again I don't have a dog in the fight and I'm sure Atlanta fans couldn't give a fat rats ass what I think anyway.

In all honesty I think its a losing proposition whatever name they come up with. IOW, there's just no pleasing people (especially soccer fans).

I'll guarantee whatever name the Miami Beckham's come up with will be scorned.

#whattyagonnado?

I don't like it but at least they are giving the fans a voice in the matter.

It's funny. Usually when you name something "Phoenix" it's because of the symbolism - rising from the ashes of something that went before and failed. I'm not aware of this club having any continuity from a previous team, though - correct me if I'm wrong. Guess this one just goes down as "rule of cool"?

Reactions: Kjbert
It's funny. Usually when you name something "Phoenix" it's because of the symbolism - rising from the ashes of something that went before and failed. I'm not aware of this club having any continuity from a previous team, though - correct me if I'm wrong. Guess this one just goes down as "rule of cool"?
Atlanta was burned to the ground by Union General William Sherman in the Civil War.

I did get a laugh out of this lol.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 197
Reactions: einwindir
Why can't the team just be Atlanta FC? I think that's something unique to soccer in the United States unlike NBA, MLS, NFL, NHL where it's always City Nickname (i.e. New York Yankees, Phoenix Suns, Atlanta Falcons) as the title name.

I appreciate New York City FC, Toronto FC, Orlando City SC (minus the City), D.C. United (it's not a nickname), FC Dallas, Real Salt Lake (Real-ly?), and Sporting Kansas City. Also Los Angeles FC (if they keep that name, which they should).

Last edited: