Away - 05/14 Dallas

I will offer a mea culpa on Johnson. He's been terrific so far. Distribution has started to fade some but he's been as good as advertised.

Needs to work with the ball at his feet. I think he is only mediocre in setting his defense and communicating, but he's such a better player than Saunders.

BTW, here is how good Parchman is at predicting success:
USATSI_10027471.jpg

Parchman: Here’s why Orlando are for real
April 23, 2017

Reactions: canchon and Kjbert
Would be nice if we are the team to give Dallas their first loss.

Prior to the Atlanta match I had leaned on Pirlo over Herrera by a 51/49 margin. I'm now solidly in the camp on Herrera getting the majority starts. Too bad he is away for a few weeks so let's see if Pirlo will turn it up a notch.

With 3 matches in a 7 day span, would like to see Vieira with our top squad (less Mata&Herrera) for Dallas, rotate and rest vs RSL then come back to full strength against Orlando.

Would be nice if we are the team to give Dallas their first loss.

Prior to the Atlanta match I had leaned on Pirlo over Herrera by a 51/49 margin. I'm now solidly in the camp on Herrera getting the majority starts. Too bad he is away for a few weeks so let's see if Pirlo will turn it up a notch.

With 3 matches in a 7 day span, would like to see Vieira with our top squad (less Mata&Herrera) for Dallas, rotate and rest vs RSL then come back to full strength against Orlando.
I definitely agree with you here, trying to figure out what the squad for Sunday and then Wednesday would be. I put together the following:

Dallas:
Wallace - Villa - Harrison
------Maxi----Ring-------
----------Pirlo-------------
Sweat-Callens-Chanot-White
---------Johnson---------

RSL:
TMac-----Okoli-----Lewis
----Camargo--Stertzer-----
----------Awuah------------
Allen-Callens-Brillant-Gomez

I can't figure out who would come in for Callens at LCB. Also, not sure if there would be any other overlap and wouldn't be surprised if Lopez is in over Awuah, though that's not what I want to see. TMac and Camargo could switch places.

I'm guessing Johnson doesn't get any rest.

Reactions: Kjbert
I definitely agree with you here, trying to figure out what the squad for Sunday and then Wednesday would be. I put together the following:

Dallas:

RSL:
TMac-----Okoli-----Lewis

I can't figure out who would come in for Callens at LCB. Also, not sure if there would be any other overlap and wouldn't be surprised if Lopez is in over Awuah, though that's not what I want to see. TMac and Camargo could switch places.

Agree with the Dallas line-up. I'll reserve my RSL team after this match is over and when the thread is created;). Not sure if I would rotate Callens or Chanot though.

Reactions: SoupInNYC

Dallas:

RSL:
TMac-----Okoli-----Lewis

I don't know that we need to change the whole XI. I think the front 3 get rested, and I hope Ring gets a rest, and obviously Pirlo isn't playing 3 games in 7 days, but I don't want to throw the whole B team out there. RSL is a winnable game

Whenever asked about the RBW fiasco at a public event, Vieira has repeatedly stated that it was a mistake to make the whole team travel NYC->Portland->Toronto->NYC in one week. He says he did it for team cohesiveness but it wore everyone out and in the future he would hold some people back from the travel to have a somewhat more rested squad for the 3rd game in a week like that. This upcoming week has 3 Away games, which complicates things a bit. Instead of just keeping a few players in NYC and not traveling at all, everyone has to go somewhere even if they don't all go to all 3 cities.

PV can take Squad A to Dallas, bring some new players (Squad B) in for RSL, while sending part of Squad A direct to Orlando from Dallas. The Squad B reinforcements presumably go to Orlando since the next game is Atlanta a full week later so what else would they do.
Or he can send Squad A to Dallas and RSL, bringing in Squad B reinforcements straight from NYC for Orlando. Only the first means there are fresh players for each game who did not have to travel to all 3 cities.
I suppose there are other choices but those seem the most likely.

Anyway, figure this into your squad rotation predictions. Probably not everyone who is a potential game day 18 candidate is going to be at all 3 games, and presumably that means some usual starters at least.

Last edited:
I don't know that we need to change the whole XI. I think the front 3 get rested, and I hope Ring gets a rest, and obviously Pirlo isn't playing 3 games in 7 days, but I don't want to throw the whole B team out there. RSL is a winnable game
Agreed for most mid-week game scenarios, such as the one shortly after where we have a road weekend game, followed by home on wednesday, then home on the weekend.

But this one involves travel for all three, including playing at some decent altitude at RSL mid-week. Ending with a game at Orlando, which I would argue is bigger than at Dallas or RSL, since they are in the East, and continue to have our number.

Whenever asked about the RBW fiasco at a public event, Vieira has repeatedly stated that it was a mistake to make the whole team travel NYC->Portland->Toronto->NYC in one week. He says he did it for team cohesiveness but it wore everyone out and in the future he would hold some people back from the travel to have a somewhat more rested squad for the 3rd game in a week like that. This upcoming week has 3 Away games, which complicates things a bit. Instead of just keeping a few players in NYC and not traveling at all, everyone has to go somewhere even if they don't all go to all 3 cities.

PV can take Squad A to Dallas, bring some new players (Squad B) in for RSL, while sending part of Squad A direct to Orlando from Dallas. The Squad B reinforcements presumably go to Orlando since the next game is Atlanta a full week later so what else would they do.
Or he can send Squad A to Dallas and RSL, bringing in Squad B reinforcements straight from NYC for Orlando. Only the first means there are fresh players for each game who did not have to travel to all 3 cities.
I suppose there are other choices but those seem the most likely.

Anyway, figure this into your squad rotation predictions. Probably not everyone who is a potential game day 18 candidate is going to be at all 3 games, and presumably that means some usual starters at least.

This how I would do it. 20 players (18 + 1 outfield player + 1 keeper) sent directly to Dallas for the match. Those would may be in the 18 for the RSL match travel to Utah, those that don't then go straight to Orlando. Send all non-Dallas players that may be in the 18 for the RSL game directly to RSL. Then everyone gets to Orlando finally.

Reactions: adam
Orlando is the most important game of the three. We also have 3 days off between RSL and Orlando and only 2 days off between Dallas and RSL.

Perhaps we will rest 1-2 guys against Dallas, and 2-4 others against RSL and go full strength against Orlando.

I would expect Villa to play in all 3 games and maybe go 90 in all 3 games.

It's too bad we don't have Herrera for these because we'd have 4 solid players for the 3 midfield spots and be able to rest people without giving up quality.

I expect we will probably see two of Pirlo, Ring and Maxi each sit once in favor or TMac and/or Camargo. I expect Wallace will sit once for one of those guys or Lewis. Maybe Jack sits once. Maybe White or Sweat. I think the CBs play all the games.

ETA: Without Shelton, you have to wonder if Jack will sit. Better to give him a game off, but I'm not sure who you put there. Camargo, Lewis and TMac will already be in a bit to sub for Wallace and one of the CMs. Maybe Stertzer gets a nod one game in midfield and you put one of those three up front - or maybe even Maxi slides up there.

Will be interesting.

Last edited:
Maybe the reason some of these teams give us fits is that we always play them on Fox.
the fox/fs1 curse is obviously tongue-in-cheek as a cause for our losses, but I'm willing to bet its cause fox has a contract for big billing matches and we let the moment get to big for us knowing we are on national tv (or a national affiliate). Its a fine proxy to say fox/fs1 broadcast is bad for our team until we show we can overcome the spotlight.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
BTW, here is how good Parchman is at predicting success:
USATSI_10027471.jpg

Parchman: Here’s why Orlando are for real
April 23, 2017
He's a quality analyst. I like his takes probably as much or more than anyone else out there (Paul Tenorio is up there). Been reading him on TDS for a long time, and I'm glad that he's spread his wings to bring a sliver of quality to MLSsoccer.com. You'd be hard pressed to find someone who knows more about individual players in the US than that guy. He's spent so much time covering youth/college.

He also seems to have a soft-spot for NYC, as I think he was the one who waxed poetic about us playing "romantic" football.

Thought: Do we play the B team vs. Dallas because RSL is easier to beat? Downside would having the A team be on short rest for the Orlando match.

And do we see a GK change at all? Or does the Milkman always deliver?

Orlando is the most important game of the three. We also have 3 days off between RSL and Orlando and only 2 days off between Dallas and RSL.

Perhaps we will rest 1-2 guys against Dallas, and 2-4 others against RSL and go full strength against Orlando.

I would expect Villa to play in all 3 games and maybe go 90 in all 3 games.

It's too bad we don't have Herrera for these because we'd have 4 solid players for the 3 midfield spots and be able to rest people without giving up quality.

I expect we will probably see two of Pirlo, Ring and Maxi each sit once in favor or TMac and/or Camargo. I expect Wallace will sit once for one of those guys or Lewis. Maybe Jack sits once. Maybe White or Sweat. I think the CBs play all the games.

ETA: Without Shelton, you have to wonder if Jack will sit. Better to give him a game off, but I'm not sure who you put there. Camargo, Lewis and TMac will already be in a bit to sub for Wallace and one of the CMs. Maybe Stertzer gets a nod one game in midfield and you put one of those three up front - or maybe even Maxi slides up there.

Will be interesting.

I'd be very surprised if Villa plays 90 in all 3 games. I think he could do it, but don't think he should do it. He does a lot of running, and is 35 now. And wasn't that the whole point of grabbing Okoli this offseason?

He's a quality analyst. I like his takes probably as much or more than anyone else out there (Paul Tenorio is up there). Been reading him on TDS for a long time, and I'm glad that he's spread his wings to bring a sliver of quality to MLSsoccer.com. You'd be hard pressed to find someone who knows more about individual players in the US than that guy. He's spent so much time covering youth/college.

He also seems to have a soft-spot for NYC, as I think he was the one who waxed poetic about us playing "romantic" football.
MLS tends to crown champions in the spring with their articles. Anointing shitty, lucky Orlando, and calling Dallas potentially better than peak LA in May is silly, but not out of the ordinary for MLS articles.

Now THIS, on the other hand, is quality analysis: https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/05/08/are-new-york-city-fc-best-team-mls-so-far-expected-goals