Being a "Supporter" Means ...

After the Hudson Derby, I wrote down my thoughts on an approach to supporting. I hope that, if you read, you read with an open mind, focusing on what's best for New York City FC, and I think, yourselves as supporters. Let me know if you agree or disagree! Thanks for reading!

http://soccernewsday.com/usa/a/2208/on-support-and-rivalries-following-the-hudson-derby
Good stuff Nick. I think it comes down to the distinction between, we are a part of the team, we are all family, which is unknown in american sports--to the I'm a customer and I'm not happy with my meal I'm sending it back and writing a shitty review on yelp.

Good stuff Nick. I think it comes down to the distinction between, we are a part of the team, we are all family, which is unknown in american sports--to the I'm a customer and I'm not happy with my meal I'm sending it back and writing a shitty review on yelp.

Exactly. And as soccer supporters, I think it's important to distinguish yourself from the "demanding, paying customer" to try to hold yourselves to the highest standard of football support seen in Liverpool, Dortmund, Turkey, Portland, Atletico de Madrid, etc etc (minus any of the violence). It shows the world, "well, it seems like true support and football has finally arrived in America, (and if you can make it in NYC, you can make it anywhere)" and it shows to traditional-American sports fans, "Wow.. this is different. I've never seen fans continue to sing and chant louder than ever even as their team loses 0-7. This is real passion. I want to be a part of this", which helps grow the game in NYC, in America and only fortifies NYCFC supporters reputation/fame as bonafied, proper football supporters.

To me, that should be the goal of any supporters group. The team will let you down at times, sometimes in a big way like on Saturday, but you can always control how you handle yourselves and how you can turn any negative into a positive in a big way.