Being a "Supporter" Means ...

Really like Rox's suggestion.

I used to go to pretty much every Quakes game when they were playing at Buckshaw. The supporters section is basically arms length behind the net. Wondo would come and talk with the Ultras after EVERY game. Doesn't matter if they won or were demolished 5-0. He always made time to connect with the fanbase. Pretty much why he will always be my favorite MLS player.

It's obviously more or less impossible at YS, but I'd love to see the players be a little more personal after games.

I'd like to add that last week RBNJ lost to DC (arguably their biggest rival and certainly their longest rivalry) in a flat performance and Dax immediately apologized to their fans. On the other hand all I've heard from Villa is that we have to forget about this and move on. Apologizing and/or taking some responsibility would go a long way to achieving that.

1. I didn't respond to this before, but I do agree about the "Super" moniker being tone deaf.
  2. More important, I'm just so happy to see AHABS finally caught with someone! #StartOfATrend

I had to google it and all I got was crap related to Captain Ahab.
As Has Already Been Said?

I was not at the game, so I can't really speak to the atmosphere inside the stadium, however, I think it's pretty low to throw back balls that the players are told to hand out after games. I was so embarrassed by the game, so I can't even imagine what some of the players are thinking. They are well aware they did awful. Don't need to add insult to injury by throwing things at them.

The difference between a "customer" and a "supporter" is the relationship with the brand/product. It's a two way street - you can't have a real relationship with a brand that doesn't at least try to pretend it values you.

After the RB loss against DC, Dax McCarty publicly apologized to the fans. He cared. The rest of the Red Bulls publicly made it clear how shitty they felt about their play. I can't even begin to imagine any of our players apologizing to us for anything. Lampard whined about perceived slights, and once again displayed how tone deaf he is.

Last edited:
I had to google it and all I got was crap related to Captain Ahab.
As Has Already Been Said?
Yes - AHABS = As Has Already Been Said

I saw similar phrases typed out so often on this forum that I suggested and then started using AHABS a couple months ago. Plus, I just like the sound of AHABS.

To the best of my knowledge Midas Mulligan Midas Mulligan is the first to use it besides me.

#HelpTheTrend

Of all of our players, Villa is one that I actually believe cares about the fans and about the team - he's not perfect, and he definitely falls into the trap of a lot of superstars where he sulks/doesn't know how to handle it when the rest of our team is not up to his quality, but I do believe he wants to be here, and I believe he feels bad when we don't play well. I know there's probably some lost in translation issues here, especially since I haven't actually heard the audio, but my immediate reaction is that comparing the two "apologies" really lays the distinctions between the two clubs right now.

In this quote it sounds like he's talking to reporters about the fans in 3rd person. It doesn't feel like he's talking to us. It sounds like he's saying he should apologize, but doesn't actually do it. Compare that to McCarty's statement: "I need to apologize to the fans for that performance. It was one of the most embarrassing performances I've been a part of," where he sounds like he's talking *to* the fans through the reporters.

I saw similar phrases typed out so often on this forum that I suggested and then started using AHABS a couple months ago. Plus, I just like the sound of AHABS.

To the best of my knowledge Midas Mulligan Midas Mulligan is the first to use it besides me.

#HelpTheTrend
Oh dip, it's another forum-specific saying!

Reactions: FootyLovin

#HelpTheTrend
I'm a tastemaker, not a trendsetter. Style over fashion, etc. but I'll help with the trend this time.

Another one for Seinfeld lovers:
NTTAWWT - not that there's anything wrong with that

I'm a tastemaker, not a trendsetter. Style over fashion, etc. but I'll help with the trend this time.

Another one for Seinfeld lovers:
NTTAWWT - not that there's anything wrong with that
Try typing that 5 times fast

Of all of our players, Villa is one that I actually believe cares about the fans and about the team
I find this interesting. The players who get the most hate here - Saunders, Mikey - take a look at them after our losses. They are devastated. Look at the cheer Saunders does with the SS after wins. These guys care deeply.

I suspect others do too but don't wear it on their sleeves quite so openly. But anyone who doesn't think Josh and Mikey care is too blinded by their hate to see the obvious reality.

#mobilepost

I find this interesting. The players who get the most hate here - Saunders, Mikey - take a look at them after our losses. They are devastated. Look at the cheer Saunders does with the SS after wins. These guys care deeply.

I suspect others do too but don't wear it on their sleeves quite so openly. But anyone who doesn't think Josh and Mikey care is too blinded by their hate to see the obvious reality.

#mobilepost
I think you're now conflating two separate ideas.

1. People can hate the play of certain players while still respecting their dedication.
2. A player's dedication does not correlate to their ability on the field.

Reactions: adam
I might've worded that wrong. I meant of the players who are top tier in price- Saunders definitely wants the team to succeed, but he's not being paid/expected to be the "face" of the club. I think Villa cares more about the team winning than Pirlo, Lampard, Mix, and even Poku.

I think Saunders and Mikey and the lot care more than their talent allows them to achieve, which is sweet, but ultimately not helpful to team success. You could put me in the game and I'd play with a ton of heart, but I'm also 4'10", slow and scared of headers...

#mobilepost

#HelpTheTrend
The whole stadium discussion thread? :D

TabascoDiva TabascoDiva the BES is mostly empty in the first minute, too. I can confirm that everyone up there from this forum stayed to the end. But I wouldn't have a problem with anyone leaving. I just didn't have anywhere else to be.

I was in shock from the shellacking too! This would had been a good time indeed to drown our sorrows with that drink you owe me :) . I needed one. next time walk out to Delta for that drink.

Reactions: Midas Mulligan
I was in shock from the shellacking too! This would had been a good time indeed to drown our sorrows with that drink you owe me :) . I needed one. next time walk out to Delta for that drink.
Ha. They don't even like me in BES. No way I get let into Delta.

I might've worded that wrong. I meant of the players who are top tier in price- Saunders definitely wants the team to succeed, but he's not being paid/expected to be the "face" of the club. I think Villa cares more about the team winning than Pirlo, Lampard, Mix, and even Poku.

I think Saunders and Mikey and the lot care more than their talent allows them to achieve, which is sweet, but ultimately not helpful to team success. You could put me in the game and I'd play with a ton of heart, but I'm also 4'10", slow and scared of headers...

I think Villa looks disappointed after a loss and wants to put out a good product for the fans.
Pirlo looks totally disgusted sometimes but it might just be from so much winning in the past.
Lampard and Mix are here for the $, and to sell hats.

- Silence is better than booing or negative chants. Being so close to the field (players, bench, coaches), I would feel uncomfortable booing because they would know it's me and they would remember when times are good. I always cheered Poku last season when he started or made the bench, eventually he gave me his jersey after a game.

The flip side of the coin is that, if a player sees you booing him every week but turns his performances around, and eventually sees you giving him a standing ovation as he is subbed off, or plays a blinder and is a worthy MOTM, or whatever else, then he knows that he has done what he needed to do to become a functioning member of the team. I know we say that players live in another world from the fans but it's a rare player who simply couldn't give two hoots whether the fans are happy or not.