Blue City Radio Mailbag

Could we have had a better roster at this point? Did we miss out on anyone during the Super Draft, Expansion Draft or Dispersal Draft? Did we trade anyone we shouldn't have? For someone we shouldn't have?

As a point of reference, I tried to summarize our acquisition history here: http://nycfcforums.com/index.php?threads/away-05-10-redbulls.2872/page-16#post-71374

As further food for thought, @NYCFC_Dan has addressed some common roster building criticisms in another thread here: http://nycfcforums.com/index.php?threads/relax-and-give-it-time.2953/#post-71462

1. We need to spend money. Blah blah blah...
On who? Find a player not playing right now that's worth signing. Otherwise wait patiently till end of European season and our transfer market.​

2. We should have signed better players.
Like who? Again we were limited to free agents and draft picks. I think the few players we bought we didn't really buy.. Allocation money was used.
Edit: other takes on going forward in this thread: http://nycfcforums.com/index.php?threads/problems-to-fix-lets-take-a-look-to-our-roster-part-1.2948/

Last edited:
Blue City Radio is looking for your thoughts or questions. Get your questions in before we record tonight.
I've also posted the same question on the NYCFC Supporters Page but I'll throw it out here as well -
Do you think it's time that Jason Kreis reassesses his RSL squad as starters? For the first few games Velasquez, Wingert, Grabavoy and Saunders were all but guaranteed starting spots. Saunders has more than earned his starting position so I'm not worried about him. Tian has been benched and/or subbed the past few games, which unfortunately is probably a good thing. Are Wingert and Grabavoy playing hard enough and well enough to be starting?

And it's easy to say "OUR DEFENSE SUCKS!!" but what do we need, or who do we need to build a proper functional defense?

I've also posted the same question on the NYCFC Supporters Page but I'll throw it out here as well -
Do you think it's time that Jason Kreis reassesses his RSL squad as starters? For the first few games Velasquez, Wingert, Grabavoy and Saunders were all but guaranteed starting spots. Saunders has more than earned his starting position so I'm not worried about him. Tian has been benched and/or subbed the past few games, which unfortunately is probably a good thing. Are Wingert and Grabavoy playing hard enough and well enough to be starting?

And it's easy to say "OUR DEFENSE SUCKS!!" but what do we need, or who do we need to build a proper functional defense?
Dave, I saw the question on Twitter and we get to it, but to tease the answer a little here. I agree with you on Grabavoy.

Wingert is a tougher one, because honestly, who is going to play that role?

Wingert I think is better the KWS at CB, but Wingert will fade and we saw Sunday and even a little against Seattle, he has no speed.

Ballouchy is also a guy with RSL connections.

But on a whole, looking at Tian, Wingert, Grabavoy, KWS and Ballouchy, Grabavoy is the only one honestly getting a pass. I think you'll see that change Friday.

Well only Wingert of the questionable RSL Old Boys played last night. Unless we still cound Ballouchy (you do realize getting rid of Ballouchy was Kreis's 2nd move of his coaching career, trading Jeff Cunningham for current Cosmos assistant Alecko Eskandarian was move 1). Was it a better performance?

Reactions: Kjbert
Well only Wingert of the questionable RSL Old Boys played last night. Unless we still cound Ballouchy (you do realize getting rid of Ballouchy was Kreis's 2nd move of his coaching career, trading Jeff Cunningham for current Cosmos assistant Alecko Eskandarian was move 1). Was it a better performance?
Just to be clear, I wasn't necessarily asking because it's my personal view...just wanted to see what the thoughts were from someone that knows what they're talking about. For example, Saunders has come up huge for us. Wingert is a reliable player but he's still a denfender and when you (generally speaking) say we have a weak defense, he would have to be partly responsible.

Ballouchy... He's a fluke. Despite being the top scorer I can't help but feel like he just happened to be at the right place at the right time. He's had too many interceptions, near misses and complete 'what-the-fuck-was-he-trying-to-accomplish' moments that it can't be ignored.

Last edited:
We are back at the helm of the Blue City Radio soundboard tonight. Questions and comments are always welcome.
Who does Kreis start in place of Mix? Poku? Tommy McNamara? Pablo Alvarez?

Will we see Onyewu make his debut? He is eligible to be signed immediately so long as he's not on any teams discovery list. If he is then it's a $50k fee they pay before he signs.

Reactions: Kjbert
Where in the schedule do you see NYCFC possibly making a run, should they find a consistent offensive threat?

What are your thoughts on the team's interaction with the media as a whole?

Monday's aren't always so bad. For the Blue City Radio team, Monday's are for recording. Get your questions or comments in for us to discuss on the show.

Comment here or email us at BlueCityRadio@gmail.com
Let's say Pirlo signs. What happens to Jacobson? Does Kreis go with two holding mids? Does he act like another coach with the JK initials and move his CDM to CB?

Hey guys, take this kind criticism from a loyal listener. You can't let some red bull douche come on and cry about how our team is ruining MLS. Your interviews are usually great with other teams, but that was awful, and I skipped over the entire part with that guy. Let the other teams fans stick to scouting reports and save their whining for their own podcasts.

Reactions: MagnusPax
Tom, thanks for the feedback. I definitely think I can learn from your comments. I will admit, the conversation spent too much time discussing off-field issues and players. Thanks for the support.
I Feel bad saying anything, you guys do so much hard work, and I love the show. That guy pissed me off though. Since I skipped that part, tell me, did you get any good digs in at the energy drinks billboards?

No, but probably the best part is when we got him to admit that losing to the Cosmos is more important than losing to NYCFC. It's evident of the fact that the Red Bull fans have come back to earth after the team's hot start.

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
I think this would be an interesting thing to discuss: What player on the current roster will play for NYCFC the longest?

Reactions: thesauerchise