Breaking: Altidore To Toronto Fc

I disagree. While NYCFC's GK might be more less equal (again NYC has depth, TFC doesn't); but they have only one decent CB in Caldwell. John, Hernandez and even Wingert have been starters on winning teams. Players like Bloom & Marrow are inferior to Williams, Brovsky or Wingert. And again their back line is 1 injury away from failure. Imagine if Caldwell got hurt? Season would be over for them.

Plus NYC is still building a squad in its 1st year. Toronto has spent 10s of millions over 8 years and zero playoffs. They should know this by now.
Was just asking because aside from Ridewell I have never seen any of the defenders on either teams play ever. I was just assuming that, as you said, a team that has had 8 years should be able to build a better defensive unit than a team in its inaugural season. I don't know about how it works in the MLS but most great teams from other leagues build from the back forward to be successful.

Was just asking because aside from Ridewell I have never seen any of the defenders on either teams play ever. I was just assuming that, as you said, a team that has had 8 years should be able to build a better defensive unit than a team in its inaugural season. I don't know about how it works in the MLS but most great teams from other leagues build from the back forward to be successful.
Defense is pretty weak in MLS in general. When belser and collen were playing well, they were probably the best duo in the league and it won them the cup. I think our plan is to spend on attackers, go with older guys in defense to start, and hopefully plug in new pieces in the back as we go.

Because of the Cap, you haven't seen squads spend big money on defenders. Besler got paid, but at the expense of Collin being sent out. Ridgewell is the only DP defender I can think of?

Reactions: USAfan6
Because of the Cap, you haven't seen squads spend big money on defenders. Besler got paid, but at the expense of Collin being sent out. Ridgewell is the only DP defender I can think of?
Yeah defenders as DPs is rare. However I think its a big mistake. TFC has shown, time and time again that they just cannot fathom this. They continue to make flashy offensive and midfield decisions and make the defense an after thought. I loved how last year they got Julio Cesar and then just went back to Bendik like it was a normal transition. Defense wins championships.

Right. Look at the difference Edu made for Philly last year. Worth the money.

But in a league where you only have 3 of those slots, it's hard not to spend the money on an attacking type player.

Right. Look at the difference Edu made for Philly last year. Worth the money.

But in a league where you only have 3 of those slots, it's hard not to spend the money on an attacking type player.
Especially because attacking players are the most marketable and the easiest to show highlights and such.

Reactions: Kjbert
I'm not saying you shouldn't spend your DPs on sttackers. You probably should from the points you made. But you don't ignore the defense. Toronto has done this ever year.

I read this morning that TFC was making promises to upgrade the back too. Maybe they have learned.

Unfortunately I don't know if you can have both right now. SKC got lucky in that Dom Dwyer became a star.

Sure you can. SKC had until recently a DP defender, a DP Midfielder and a DP striker. Not that it worked that way.

My point is that TFC spends $20 million(?) on new attackers 2 years running and yet they have rookies and NASL players in defense. Not good enough.

Toronto seems as if they will be a force to be reckoned with this season. The east isn't as deep as with quality teams as the west is. We have a leg up on them in my opinion because our coaching staff and resources are just much better. But i can definitely see Toronto making the playoffs for the first time in their clubs history

Reactions: Kjbert
Toronto seems as if they will be a force to be reckoned with this season. The east isn't as deep as with quality teams as the west is. We have a leg up on them in my opinion because our coaching staff and resources are just much better. But i can definitely see Toronto making the playoffs for the first time in their clubs history
The other side of that coin is that they could implode spectacularly. How many sweet through balls that giovinco sends through to be wasted by jozy before he starts to get frustrated. If the defense blows, there will be few chances for the DPs to contribute. Don't give them the crown yet.

Last edited:
No offense guys but this is exactly what we said last year when Bradley, Defoe and Gilberto showed up. And last year they had Mr. 1-8 for 5 months.

I'll believe it When I see it.

Reactions: whill4 and Kubah
No offense guys but this is exactly what we said last year when Bradley, Defoe and Gilberto showed up. And last year they had Mr. 1-8 for 5 months.

I agree. There have been far better teams with far better players that have failed by trying to cram in the best attacking players they could without worrying about team balance or cohesion and ignoring the fact a strong backbone and defense are essential to most good sides.

The other side of that coin is that they could implode spectacularly. How many sweet through balls that giovinco sens through to be wasted by jozy before he started to get frustrated. If the defense blows, there will be few chances for the DPs to contribute. Don't give them the crown yet.

Trust me, I in no way believe that they will win the cup. They have a lot more problems to figure out everywhere else on the field for that to happen. I'm only willing to bet that they make it to the playoffs, especially since they are in the east where the depth isnt as deep. And am I correct that they are expanding the amount of teams that make it to the playoffs this year?

Expanded playoffs and weaker Eastern Conference. They should be a playoff team.

And NYCFCFan10 NYCFCFan10 is right. When Defoe cared, they won. This is a better team now.

Reactions: Paul
1D.C. United
2New England Revolution
3Columbus Crew
4New York Red Bulls
5Sporting Kansas City
6Philadelphia Union
7Toronto FC
8Houston Dynamo
9Chicago Fire
10Montreal Impact

Here is last years final standings, top 5 made it. This year, top 6 make it. (KC and Houston move to west, NYCFC and OCSC enter in their places) I expect NE and DC to continue to be good, New Jersey drops out, montreal probably didn't do enough to compete this year, Columbus stays in. That leaves three spots for NYC, OC, Toronto, Philly and Chicago to fight over.

edit: format changed when i posted

I'm high on Montreal, not so much DC.

I could see DC flopping again and a resurgence of Montreal.

Either way, given the signings and expanded playoffs, I don't see how Toronto misses this time.

I'm high on Montreal, not so much DC.

I could see DC flopping again and a resurgence of Montreal.

Either way, given the signings and expanded playoffs, I don't see how Toronto misses this time.
Seems DC has only strengthen their core this offseason. They should again be a top team. Why would you think Montreal has really improved? Without Di Viao they still lack a threat up top, other than McNinery who seems easily distracted. And again they are relying on proven backup goalie Evans with a suspect defense in front of him.

Sure you can. SKC had until recently a DP defender, a DP Midfielder and a DP striker. Not that it worked that way.

My point is that TFC spends $20 million(?) on new attackers 2 years running and yet they have rookies and NASL players in defense. Not good enough.

I agree with the general point but it's nowhere near $20m on attackers 2 years running. Just saying