Breaking: Altidore To Toronto Fc

To have bradley playing in MLS rather than a top 4 league? He could be playing against national team quality players. whole teams of players who could all play for their national teams. Now he is playing against teams that really can't challenge him. The goldfish doesn't grow in a small bowl.

Bradley was not playing in a Top 4 league - he was riding the bench.. But I was talking about Dempsey, Altidore, Cameron, Mix etc as well. I hear this 'playing against whole teams of national team quality players' argument all the time and it doesn't stand up to the evidence. EVERY one who has played for England since 2010 in a competitive tournament has 'played against whole teams of national team quality players' and they are crap as a National Team.

To have bradley playing in MLS rather than a top 4 league? He could be playing against national team quality players. whole teams of players who could all play for their national teams. Now he is playing against teams that really can't challenge him. The goldfish doesn't grow in a small bowl.
What if he failed to get consistent minutes? Going to the better team isn't always the better option.

I disagree there. I think only raising the salary cap and competing with Liga Mx for that talent will increase bowl size. I don't think the DPs have that much impact on that. The casual fan might tune into watch Bradley etal play, but the quality of soccer can be pretty poor sometimes in MLS, and that, i think, can push them away.
Agreed. I think the overall level of play needs to be improve, instead of getting the odd star here or there like Beckham or Henry. With that said, I do wonder if having stars like that will help raise the level of the league over time. I'm not sure.

Reactions: Kjbert
Bradley was not playing in a Top 4 league - he was riding the bench.. But I was talking about Dempsey, Altidore, Cameron, Mix etc as well. I hear this 'playing against whole teams of national team quality players' argument all the time and it doesn't stand up to the evidence. EVERY one who has played for England since 2010 in a competitive tournament has 'played against whole teams of national team quality players' and they are crap as a National Team.
England are crap as a national team for reasons other than lack of quality players.

I disagree there. I think only raising the salary cap and competing with Liga Mx for that talent will increase bowl size. I don't think the DPs have that much impact on that. The casual fan might tune into watch Bradley etal play, but the quality of soccer can be pretty poor sometimes in MLS, and that, i think, can push them away.
Rising the cap/installing a salary floor (I think by marrying both to revenue) will be the way to get better talent and glower the bowl. The goal should be much like Germans to have most of the USMNT to come form MLS by making it a TOP 5 league in the world, but we need our best players on the field here to rise the quality of play because that will help rise the profile and the Revenue that is part of the plan.

England are crap as a national team for reasons other than lack of quality players.

Granted there are always other reasons why a national team doesn't perform but the EPL is the deepest and most talented league in the world. Surely playing week in and week out against the best in the world helps mitigate most of the other issues. Or at least that what a lot of people think.

Putting aside EPL. How would a player 'develop' faster in a bottom 15 club in Serie A or La Liga? They play whole teams of national team quality players twice maybe 3 times a year.

Not when Defoe is ........
Always hurt.
Pretending to be hurt.
Flying back to England to get treatment for the fake injury.
Intentionally getting a yellow card in an MLS match so he could play in a friendly.
Being a Delta Bravo.

The Defoe drama was such a big disappointment for MLS (and the notion that top talent from around the world will want to play in the US). Maybe he just saw MLS as an easy paycheck and a way to keep him fit for a quick return to England?

Granted there are always other reasons why a national team doesn't perform but the EPL is the deepest and most talented league in the world. Surely playing week in and week out against the best in the world helps mitigate most of the other issues. Or at least that what a lot of people think.

Putting aside EPL. How would a player 'develop' faster in a bottom 15 club in Serie A or La Liga? They play whole teams of national team quality players twice maybe 3 times a year.
I think the overall qualities of the foreign leagues are better, which in turn helps develop players better.

From personal experience I have seen a few of my friends that were contemplating going to a small Division 1 school or one of the best Division 3 schools, and the players that went to the Division 1 schools are much better now than the similarly talented teammates from highschool.

I'd attribute it to the higher level of players, and better training and coaching. Probably the same idea with the MLS and Seria A/La Liga/ EPL. Players have a ceiling, and can only get so good no matter where they play. But I believe playing against, and playing with better players, trainers and coaches will only help in the long run.

If you keep a video game on the easy level all the time, when you switch it to hard you get beat. If you play and practice at hard all the time, you get better.
See my problem is that still weakens MLS, and I want to make MLS stronger. I want MLS to be able to compete with those league and we might not be there yet but lets not delay the process.

Ridiculous amount of money for a player who isn't even that good. I just worry this doesn't seriously start to inflate salaries for these types of players. Making it even harder for some of the smaller teams to attract DP's. Now everyone that has scored one goal in England will want this kind of money.

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
If you want MLS to ever become close to being a top league, you need to have your best national team players come back and play here. We can't expect to get the good players from opposing national teams if our own national team players won't even play here.

Ridiculous amount of money for a player who isn't even that good. I just worry this doesn't seriously start to inflate salaries for these types of players. Making it even harder for some of the smaller teams to attract DP's. Now everyone that has scored one goal in England will want this kind of money.
He is getting this salary because he is a well known known national team player who tore up the Netherlands and has had a lot of success with the U.S. national team, his salary has nothing to do with what he did in England.

He is getting this salary because he is a well known known national team player who tore up the Netherlands and has had a lot of success with the U.S. national team, his salary has nothing to do with what he did in England.
If they were basing his salary on what he did in England he would be one of the least paid players in the league. He was terrible.

Reactions: Ahab_Flanders
Michael Bradley reportedly restructured his deal in order for Toronto to sign Altidore.

While I love that Altidore is back in MLS, I am not excited to see Jozy score multiple goals on a defense anchored by Hernandez, Meara and unknown Mendes.