Staff member
Elite Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
New York, NY
Quarterfinals, Leg 1
New York City FC vs. Comunicaciones FC
Tuesday, March 8 8 PM ET
Pratt & Whitney Stadium at Rentschler Field (Hartford, CT)
FS1, TUDN

Do we think there's any shot CFG will bribe the Yankees and have this game at home? Or are we certain this'll be at RBA?

Reactions: Kjbert
Has nothing to do with the Yankees. CONCACAF is refusing to allow us to play at Yankee Stadium or Citi Field for reasons unknown.
Concacaf wants proper football venues (which is laughable based on the lack of VAR in competitions earlier and some of the venues that teams/countries use for competitions). CFG needs to bribe Concacaf.
It will probably be played in Vancouve.
I get the joke. But actually RBA since we have the home opener a few days later.

Has nothing to do with the Yankees. CONCACAF is refusing to allow us to play at Yankee Stadium or Citi Field for reasons unknown.
I always thought this was because CFG never bothered to try to get it approved because the Yankees didn't want to dewinterize early and/or CFG didn't think it was worth paying a million in rent for a CCL game, not that CONCACAF was deadset against certifying it

I always thought this was because CFG never bothered to try to get it approved because the Yankees didn't want to dewinterize early and/or CFG didn't think it was worth paying a million in rent for a CCL game, not that CONCACAF was deadset against certifying it
They straight up say in all the communications that CONCACAF denied the stadium. We have to go through this every home match we play in concacaf lol

As a lawyer who gets bored sometimes, I went through the CONCACAF rules and regs to try to figure out why Yankee Stadium (and Citi Field) cant be used as home stadiums in Champions League. I couldnt find anything (although there might be some relevant guidelines that arent available online). There is no prohibition on playing in a cricket stadium or a baseball stadium.

My working theory is that CitiField and Yankee Stadium cant be used because CONCACAF has a strict requirement that the only advertising in the stadium has to be Champions League advertisers (you go ScotiaBank) but Yankee Stadium and CitiField have some sort of scoreboard or other sponsorship agreement requiring those ads to be visible at all stadium events, not just baseball games.

As a lawyer who gets bored sometimes, I went through the CONCACAF rules and regs to try to figure out why Yankee Stadium (and Citi Field) cant be used as home stadiums in Champions League. I couldnt find anything (although there might be some relevant guidelines that arent available online). There is no prohibition on playing in a cricket stadium or a baseball stadium.

My working theory is that CitiField and Yankee Stadium cant be used because CONCACAF has a strict requirement that the only advertising in the stadium has to be Champions League advertisers (you go ScotiaBank) but Yankee Stadium and CitiField have some sort of scoreboard or other sponsorship agreement requiring those ads to be visible at all stadium events, not just baseball games.

Concacaf allowed Canada to put their WCQ against the US in that bandbox of a stadium in Hamilton with artificial turf in the middle of winter. Hypocrites.

Reactions: Kjbert and Sabo

That's definitely a working theory. Yankee Stadium/Citi Field has advertising that cannot be covered up and would be shown on the broadcast.

Concacaf allowed Canada to put their WCQ against the US in that bandbox of a stadium in Hamilton with artificial turf in the middle of winter. Hypocrites.
If you assume everyone running CONCACAF is completely corrupt, then what they do and don't do makes much more sense. Remember that CONCACAF dude from the USA who used soccer money to rent an apartment for his cats?

The ads are unable to be removed, I believe. Yankee Stadium has that gigantic DELTA sign, plus all the signs in center field on the scoreboard can't be changed or removed. And I would assume the cost of putting ads up over those other ones is extremely prohibitive.

It's such a dumb reasoning, too. Why can't you have your sponsors and the stadium's sponsors? It's just crazy to me. So instead of playing in an historic venue with fans, they force NYCFC to go to a different stadium with fewer or no fans. CONCACAF is a joke, and they turn this competition into a joke by doing things like this.

i think sims alluded to the issue being the stadium sponsors. Though not sure if Citi field have sponsors like the delta one in yankee stadium.

i think sims alluded to the issue being the stadium sponsors. Though not sure if Citi field have sponsors like the delta one in yankee stadium.

They have sponsors that can't be removed. Their center-field scoreboard area with the sponsors is pretty similar to Yankee Stadium in that way.

They have sponsors that can't be removed. Their center-field scoreboard area with the sponsors is pretty similar to Yankee Stadium in that way.

the thing is that the delta sign at least is no where near camera view for broadcast. It’s not like baseball where you can see it with home runs or foul balls going deep. Similar with citi.
I still see it as a lame excuse, if you want to argue field dimensions then say that and not use a crap sponsor excuse which can be worked around.

Reactions: Sabo and Kjbert
The regulations for the competition have clauses covering advertising in the venue. Concacaf has to have total control of all signage, as well as what appears on the scoreboard. You can read these - they’re a Google search away.

It’s highly unlikely that the Yankees’ contracts with its sponsors allow these to be covered up or replaced for individual events. While it is possible we could write a check and buy these parties out, there are a lot of them, they’d be under no obligation to agree, and the Yankees would be rightly concerned it could hurt their reputation with these parties.

The regulations for the competition have clauses covering advertising in the venue. Concacaf has to have total control of all signage, as well as what appears on the scoreboard. You can read these - they’re a Google search away.

It’s highly unlikely that the Yankees’ contracts with its sponsors allow these to be covered up or replaced for individual events. While it is possible we could write a check and buy these parties out, there are a lot of them, they’d be under no obligation to agree, and the Yankees would be rightly concerned it could hurt their reputation with these parties.
Exactly.
I don't know why people think the sponsor issue is fake or could be easily worked around. There are multiple parties with existing rights to be seen at every event in YS and/or City and they DGAF about NYCFC or Champions League. Parties pay a premium for rights that are based on ALL, or EVERY, or EXCLUSIVE. There is no simple cheap fee that gets them agree to give that up. And this is not an issue in most places that might host CCL or UCL because those are venues with soccer as a primary activity and all the sponsorship agreements undoubtedly have Champions League clauses built in to their deals.

So Santi is out for both legs of this tie? Or is he out against LAG and the first leg of this tie!