Chicago - Postmatch

Missed much of the first half as one of our handful of (mostly non practicing ) Jews I had to be at a Break fast. I did catch Maxi's cock up which was a big time cock up live, but not Villa's goal though I caught it on replay. This was largely hard to watch. Part of that , I confess, might have been having watched City vs Chelsea it's like going from gourmet food for lunch to MCDonald's for dinner... we just didn't seem to have much coherent play.

In a vacuum it's not a bad result . Chicago is a decent team, it was away, we took 4 points from two road games in a week....BUT playing much of the game knowing Atlanta had dropped points against New England... can't help but feel like it's a poor result. We could have really shifted the pressure to them. I'm also quite afraid if we drop to 3 it's going to be Jersey in the one off. We are better than them but that's heart attack inducing scenario a one off knock out derby..

Last edited:
Mission accomplished !!! Made it to the playoffs but somehow I feel something is missing. But we certainly are playing better than the USMNT. LOL lets not despair.
If our capt. gets the Golden Boot . I will take that !
there is a catch to win the boot , there is this guy, whose name I can not recall, who has scored 3 hat's trick.
If this was a beauty pageant El mas bonito will take the crown.

Interesting psychoanalysis. You might be on to something there. Even if it was subconscious on his part.

I think he was trying to shepherd the ball to SJ and SJ was not hip to it. Just miscommunication.
He's trying to create the foul with Polster from the top of the 18 almost. There is no rational explanation for his gambit.

This was largely hard to watch. Part of that , I confess, might have been having watched City vs Chelsea it's like going from gourmet food for lunch to MCDonald's for dinner... we just didn't seem to have much coherent play.

Lol, captured it perfectly.

Reactions: NYCFC_Dan
Not sure about the shepherding.... but it did look like Polster pulled Maxi away from the ball with his left arm wrapped over his shoulder. The separation from the ball went from on his foot to a good two-three feet away. That's how their striker was able to completely tee up on the ball.
He could have cleared it 3 times. There's really no excuse for this one.

Maybe Vieira isn't putting out our best 11 so that teams can't scout us for the playoffs. Maybe Vieira isn't putting his best tactics so teams can't scout us for the playoffs.
Maybe Vieira isn't putting his best substitutions so teams can't scout us for the playoffs.
Maybe Vieira isn't putting his best game management so teams can't scout us for the playoffs.
Maybe Vieira is making all these errors so teams can't scout us for the playoffs.
Maybe Vieira isn't ready for a league greater than MLS.

He can recruit players, sure. But it seems that he's fucking up time after time. More times than not, it's been the decisions of Vieira that has led to dropped points and not a player messing up. Well today, that was certainly Moralez. But what if we had a true winger start. Maybe we have more opportunities to score and Moralez error isn't the glaring moment of this game.

I want to win every game. I want to play great every game.

Get me a damn good 6M+ DP next year. We've never had a top level roster ever. Put all the chips on the table next year. I don't we have the guts to win the Cup.

Maybe Vieira isn't putting out our best 11 so that teams can't scout us for the playoffs. Maybe Vieira isn't putting his best tactics so teams can't scout us for the playoffs.
Maybe Vieira isn't putting his best substitutions so teams can't scout us for the playoffs.
Maybe Vieira isn't putting his best game management so teams can't scout us for the playoffs.
Maybe Vieira is making all these errors so teams can't scout us for the playoffs.
Maybe Vieira isn't ready for a league greater than MLS.

He can recruit players, sure. But it seems that he's fucking up time after time. More times than not, it's been the decisions of Vieira that has led to dropped points and not a player messing up. Well today, that was certainly Moralez. But what if we had a true winger start. Maybe we have more opportunities to score and Moralez error isn't the glaring moment of this game.

I want to win every game. I want to play great every game.

Get me a damn good 6M+ DP next year. We've never had a top level roster ever. Put all the chips on the table next year. I don't we have the guts to win the Cup.
We're not going to win the cup. If this playoff push is any indication of where we're going it's in one direction, down. We were missing 2 of our best XI and that was Wallace and Mata. 2 players and one side of the field won't win or lose you a cup. Idk what he's doing, idk why he continues to think TMac is he answer when we play our best games without him and with a midfield of Moralez, Herrera and Ring. Honestly couldn't point to too much he did wrong today but also can't point to any moment of brilliance or a single chance created or a decisive pass.

I'm just going to copy and paste what I posted on /r/nycfc:

First off I won't even mention the first goal that was shit on so many different levels. Now that I've gotten that out of the way I'm going to go on a bit of a rant. This game was 95% on Vieira. We played against one of the most narrow teams in the league and decided to play a midfielder at winger.I don't give a shit how bad Wallace's finishing was against Montreal that was just so fucking dumb. When we brought in Wallace I was absolutely shocked we started creating chances. But seriously how the fuck did Vieira think that was a good idea to start Tommy. Also this game was screaming for Mata to bomb down the wing overlapping Wallace but instead we used to subs including Shelton who again I won't go into because there's no need to explain how shit he is. Fuck this team, fuck Vieira, and fuck life.
Ouy Vie Blood Pressure !! Don't Excite yourself this can't possibly be good !!

I think it is worth stepping back and appreciating the fact that we are in second place with 56 fucking points with 2 games to go.
Exactly. Jesus Christ what a bunch of entitled, whiny bitches on this thread.

giphy.gif

He could have cleared it 3 times. There's really no excuse for this one.
I'm not defending his brain hemorrhage, but he lost the ball being mugged and not to a clean tackle.

A foul should be a foul no matter where it is on the field, but NYCFC doesn't get any calls in the box.

Reactions: Midas Mulligan
Exactly. Jesus Christ what a bunch of entitled, whiny bitches on this thread.

giphy.gif
We have had a great season. No matter what happens going forward.

But I'm still disappointed in last night. And we aren't in practice, maybe there is something there we aren't seeing. Because from the outside, some of these lineup decisions don't make a lot of sense. I don't understand the decision to break up your midfield trio, which others around MLS have called one of the best in the league, in a game where controlling the midfield was going to be so important. Even the Chicago commentators kept commenting about how much better NYCFC looked when Maxi and TMac switched and Maxi came centrally.

And maybe TMac played because he did offer some flexibility in that he could switch between midfield and winger. But I also don't get the decision to play Maxi out of position and put TMac on the field, instead of Maxi in the middle and a true winger out wide.

I'm also disappointed in our offense lately. And yes, there is something to be said for Villa not being healthy for most of the past month. But what happens in the playoffs when teams know Villa is most of our offense and mark him out of the game? Is someone else going to step up and start scoring? Harrison does it sometimes, but he is not consistent enough. Wallace can't hit the broad side of a barn at the moment, and let's just not talk about Shelton. Lewis shows promise, but he never sees the field anymore.

I've seen better from this team, so I want more

But I'm still disappointed in last night. And we aren't in practice, maybe there is something there we aren't seeing. Because from the outside, some of these lineup decisions don't make a lot of sense. I don't understand the decision to break up your midfield trio, which others around MLS have called one of the best in the league, in a game where controlling the midfield was going to be so important. Even the Chicago commentators kept commenting about how much better NYCFC looked when Maxi and TMac switched and Maxi came centrally.

And maybe TMac played because he did offer some flexibility in that he could switch between midfield and winger. But I also don't get the decision to play Maxi out of position and put TMac on the field, instead of Maxi in the middle and a true winger out wide.

I'm also disappointed in our offense lately. And yes, there is something to be said for Villa not being healthy for most of the past month. But what happens in the playoffs when teams know Villa is most of our offense and mark him out of the game? Is someone else going to step up and start scoring? Harrison does it sometimes, but he is not consistent enough. Wallace can't hit the broad side of a barn at the moment, and let's just not talk about Shelton. Lewis shows promise, but he never sees the field anymore.

Nailed it. My thoughts exactly. We have been a dumpster fire the last month. Going back to redbull draw we've won 2 of 7 and scored 6 goals. Even yesterday with everyone healthy or close to it we don't field our best lineup and play poorly. I felt our defense played well and they've been the only ones showing up over that time span. Can't blame the goal on them. The midfield and forwards are a different story. We are so stagnant in the final third it's incredibly frustrating. We get the ball out to the wings and do nothing. Also the amount of times we kick balls into shins is remarkable. I've never seen anything like it in my time watching this sport.

Reactions: adam and Marito

Vieira said the lineup wasn’t affected by injuries. Therefore the lineup was because he’s an absolute control freak idiot. We saw this last year with Mix being left out when we were desperate for midfield help, and we’re seeing it this year with Lewis being left out when we need offense and the ability to pin the most dangerous right back in the league. That lineup was absolute malpractice and playing TMac was akin to pharmaceutical companies paying doctors to push their products.

I’m 50/50 now on whether to keep Vieira past this year - I’m pretty sure he’s no better than being the top assistant to the manager because he has no feel for roster management. I’ve never felt more anxiety being in the 2nd spot than I have for the last 6 weeks - none of it has been fun or enjoyable because we shouldn’t be debating losing 2nd, we should still be battling for 1st (albeit from the outside looking in). Nearly every game of lost points has been Vieira’s fault for bad starting lineups or horrendous subs.

Reactions: gbservis and adam
Lewis shows promise, but he never sees the field anymore.
I want an em-effin' Congressional inquiry.

I stand by my assertion that Patty seems to judge players by how hard they look like they're running and on a scale where performance is entirely subjective and gauged to each man's personal best.

That's the best theory I can come up with based on what we can observe. Sadly, it will only be luck if that ever results in us fielding a proper best 11.

I'll speculate Vieira's logic:

1) Toronto clinched the Shield. I bet Vieira undervalues the #2 seed compared to the average American fan. In his mind, we clinched a playoff spot, and can't win the regular season trophy, so these games have less meaning.

2) He played some guys into the ground last year. He's rotating and resting for the playoffs.

3) He's tinkering to figure out the best postseason lineup. He tinkered right until the final game last year, sitting Saunders. It's possible he's trying to get his team to play the way we would matchup best with Toronto or Atlanta or something.

I'll speculate Vieira's logic:

1) Toronto clinched the Shield. I bet Vieira undervalues the #2 seed compared to the average American fan. In his mind, we clinched a playoff spot, and can't win the regular season trophy, so these games have less meaning.

2) He played some guys into the ground last year. He's rotating and resting for the playoffs.

3) He's tinkering to figure out the best postseason lineup. He tinkered right until the final game last year, sitting Saunders. It's possible he's trying to get his team to play the way we would matchup best with Toronto or Atlanta or something.
I think there is a lot to this, but I also think PV has to give some substantial value to avoiding a knockout game. The home/away benefit in the 2-game series is fickle at best, but the downside of a play-in game, even at home is big enough he has to give it weight. Especially if it ends up being against the Red Bulls. We should win. We're better. We'll be at home. They're on a worse downward spiral than us. But damn if they ever did knock us out of the playoffs it would make their season and destroy ours.