Chicago - Postmatch

At risk of usurping Christopher Jee's role as our sunny-side-up commentator, I will point out that Struna continues to look like a massive upgrade at RB, and that as soon as Rodney came in we completely dominated the 3rd or 4th best team in MLS, at their stadium. And for those who would point out the absences of Schweini and Accam, we're also missing Chanot and Mata. It wasn't a bad performance. I mean I did as well as we did against Colorado, against a them that most def in not like Colorado. So relax.

Any thought that Jack was pulled early for Shelton because of his international call up?

Let me start by saying I like Struna. However the problem with Struna is that he’s actually effect at both offense (best of the three on the team) and defense (slightly less steady than White but better than RJ), and because of this our usual “pull the RB to go 3ATB” doesn’t work quite as well because his removal is taking away an overlapping threat. We always pulled the RB because Sweat was steadier as a LCB and could still push forward if we threw all caution to the wind, however it’s less clear how Struna would fare as a RCB with similar responsibilities.

That’s a long-winded way of saying I expected Mata to be subbed in for offense and couldn’t figure out who was most likely to come off. Evidently nobody since only two subs were used.

He could have cleared it 3 times. There's really no excuse for this one.
No idea why he didn't clear it, and there is absolutely no excuse for it.

I didn't think there was much of a foul there honestly. Not to excuse Maxi's play there, because its one of the first things you learn when you start playing soccer. But I thought he was attempting to shepherd it to Johnson and was just shielding Polster off, but he had zero clue that Nikolic was there. Johnson couldn't come out and get it because he saw Niko, but Maxi had no idea.

Reactions: mgarbowski
At risk of usurping Christopher Jee's role as our sunny-side-up commentator, I will point out that Struna continues to look like a massive upgrade at RB, and that as soon as Rodney came in we completely dominated the 3rd or 4th best team in MLS, at their stadium. And for those who would point out the absences of Schweini and Accam, we're also missing Chanot and Mata. It wasn't a bad performance. I mean I did as well as we did against Colorado, against a them that most def in not like Colorado. So relax.
We really did dominate as soon as Rodney came in, which makes the lineup choice much more frustrating.

But it was good to see us take it to Chicago in Chicago. They are getting their guys back healthy again and starting to play better. This isn't quite the same Fire team that has been going through the fairly recent freefall.

2) He played some guys into the ground last year. He's rotating and resting for the playoffs.

We are way passed rotation with Lewis at this point the guy has to be super rusty based on how long it's been since he played last.

Reactions: Ulrich
I really appreciated getting a decently technical answer to one of my questions from PV (around 0:20): . I do wonder why he wants them playing so close to Villa though. The only way I can see this working is if Struna and Mata / Sweat overlap like crazy.

I really hope we move to a flat 3-4-3 next year and keep Maxi and Jack up near Villa:

F: Maxi, Villa, Jack
M: Matarrita, Herrera, Ring, Struna
D: Callens, Chanot, Ferrarsi

We could add a DP at CB or any forward spot and have Jack play RM instead. Wallace also backs up Maxi and Matarrita. Need more CM depth too.

I really hope we move to a flat 3-4-3 next year and keep Maxi and Jack up near Villa:

We could add a DP at CB or any forward spot and have Jack play RM instead. Wallace also backs up Maxi and Matarrita. Need more CM depth too.
I’m confused, where does TMac line up?

"I’m 50/50 now on whether to keep Vieira past this year - I’m pretty sure he’s no better than being the top assistant to the manager because he has no feel for roster management."

Most ridiculous thing I've ever read on this forum.

Players like Harrison have developed tremendously under Vieira, we have a clear style of play. Glaring holes like defense have improved markedly. Our signings this year broadly have been excellent. We are criticizing Vieira for testing Shelton's development after returning from injury, and easing in Lewis with some more minutes for McNamara than many would like. Sure there are always disagreements on lineup tweaks, but I don't see these decisions as crazy. (I too would love to see Harrison and Lewis combining with Villa!)

I think Vieira is building a winning culture, forcing the young players to really earn their spot and giving the benefit of doubt to players who maintain the shape (McNamara) and take responsibility on both sides of the ball (Shelton). If it means he keeps shiny young new talent on the bench extra to learn and build fire in their belly then so be it.

There are few teams in MLS worth watching, NYCFC is one of them and I think it will stay that way for a very long time due to Vieira.

"I’m 50/50 now on whether to keep Vieira past this year - I’m pretty sure he’s no better than being the top assistant to the manager because he has no feel for roster management."

Most ridiculous thing I've ever read on this forum.

Players like Harrison have developed tremendously under Vieira, we have a clear style of play. Glaring holes like defense have improved markedly. Our signings this year broadly have been excellent. We are criticizing Vieira for testing Shelton's development after returning from injury, and easing in Lewis with some more minutes for McNamara than many would like. Sure there are always disagreements on lineup tweaks, but I don't see these decisions as crazy. (I too would love to see Harrison and Lewis combining with Villa!)

I think Vieira is building a winning culture, forcing the young players to really earn their spot and giving the benefit of doubt to players who maintain the shape (McNamara) and take responsibility on both sides of the ball (Shelton). If it means he keeps shiny young new talent on the bench extra to learn and build fire in their belly then so be it.

There are few teams in MLS worth watching, NYCFC is one of them and I think it will stay that way for a very long time due to Vieira.
I don't want to fire Vieira. I think he's one of the best managers in the league and has potential to be one of the best mangers in the world but does he really have a clear style of play. We've been playing a traditional 4-3-3 almost the entire year and that's been working but now in our most meaningful run of games he decides that he wants to go with a false left wing. Maybe that would almost make sense if we had a fast left back to run up that open space but he does that with Ben fucking Sweat. Also let's be real when the fuck has Shelton ever been a good player. He shouldn't be playing even if he never got injured.

This will only work if we can possess the ball with enough quality to get our wide players up the field. Microscopic observation – Maxi and Jack tend to go narrow too early, which means we don't have outlets high and wide, so we get stuck circulating the ball in the middle third. I'm hoping it's just a matter of time before it all clicks.

Reactions: Paul and Fake Jew
If it means he keeps shiny young new talent on the bench extra to learn and build fire in their belly then so be it.
Your “most ridiculous thing ever posted” didn’t even survive the same post.

The idea that you bench not just good players, but players far superior than those you do select in order to put some “fire in their bellies” is arguably more outrageous.

That’s one of those platitudes I don’t put a whole lot of weight into.

Kid hits the winner every other time out. Obviously needs fire. For realz?

Your “most ridiculous thing ever posted” didn’t even survive the same post.

The idea that you bench not just good players, but players far superior than those you do select in order to put some “fire in their bellies” is arguably more outrageous.

That’s one of those platitudes I don’t put a whole lot of weight into.

Kid hits the winner every other time out. Obviously needs fire. For realz?
Not saying that specifically to Lewis, just saying vieira may be a little slower than fans might like to deploy young players so they build good habits early in their career, for instance sending a message that shape + responsibility on both sides of the ball is just as important as a late winner. One way to make that message clear is to not just throw in lineup so quickly. I'm sure we'll see more Lewis, maybe even in the last few games and playoffs.

Just pointing out a counterfactual: People seem absolutely up in arms about Lewis's playing time, but maybe Vieira holding him back a bit will be to he & franchises long-term benefit.

Not saying that specifically to Lewis, just saying vieira may be a little slower than fans might like to deploy young players so they build good habits early in their career, for instance sending a message that shape + responsibility on both sides of the ball is just as important as a late winner. One way to make that message clear is to not just throw in lineup so quickly. I'm sure we'll see more Lewis, maybe even in the last few games and playoffs.

Just pointing out a counterfactual: People seem absolutely up in arms about Lewis's playing time, but maybe Vieira holding him back a bit will be to he & franchises long-term benefit.

Nope. Not buying it.