Columbus 1st Leg ECS - Postmatch

I'm so much more pissed about this today than I was last night. What an F'n joke.

There was a poll on Twitter last night that asked what was worse - this, or 7-0. Seems there’s a pretty good case to be made that this was worse considering what each meant to the actual outcome of the season.

Reactions: LionNYC and Ulrich
There was a poll on Twitter last night that asked what was worse - this, or 7-0. Seems there’s a pretty good case to be made that this was worse considering what each meant to the actual outcome of the season.
This was far worse. 7-0 was humiliating but only a loss of three points. 4-1 is a mountain of a hole to climb out of in 90minutes.

This was far worse. 7-0 was humiliating but only a loss of three points. 4-1 is a mountain of a hole to climb out of in 90minutes.

Exactly. And it’s far worse when you consider whether Villa will still have it at this level next year. I would never want to count him out based on his sheer force of personal will alone, but you gotta figure that time is sneaking up on him soon. So to waste his productive years the way we did last night is just infuriating.

I guess I am in the minority but I thought 7-0 was worse. We lost 7-0 to our rival playing 11 v 11. Yes this game was more important, but we weren't embarrassed until we went down to 10 players. And even then, we didn't get run off the field the way we were during the Red Bull Wedding.

7-0 is the Red Bull Wedding right? Or are we talking 7-0 to Toronto last year?

(How sad is that? Two instances of 7-0 in our short history.)

I guess I am in the minority but I thought 7-0 was worse. We lost 7-0 to our rival playing 11 v 11. Yes this game was more important, but we weren't embarrassed until we went down to 10 players. And even then, we didn't get run off the field the way we were during the Red Bull Wedding.

NO Your Not Ms Seven Seven in the Minority !!! 7- o was Unacceptable by all means !! But this is Female Thinking ! Your David was the sun in a very dark storm with that bike kick score ! My thoughts is he was tired and gave all he could . And Succeeded always with his Heart , but his legs couldn't do for him what he wanted them to do .

You see I give people passes for trying when I know their heart is good . Nobody here dose that even you at times . But I Will Never Forgive or Forget how Embarrassed I was for Andrea over that 7-0 SHIT ! That game was Special to him because he had company from home Alessandro Matri from Juventus was at that game in the stands with regular seats and a NYCFC Pirlo Jersey on . Matri and him were roomates a Juventus and are very close that even extends to Andrea's first born son/child Nicholo . It was around the time of Andrea's Birthday and Matri wanted to be with him . Matri had to sit there along with the rest of us Stunned with that 7-0 Shit !

I never ever was impressed with Mr Josh Saunders even with the walk around to fans thing and the shout at the fans thing he did at the end of games . To me he always looked like a walking Dick and that game proved it forever more !!

I was referring to the Red Bull Wedding, but I think this is shaping up to be worse than last year’s sorry display - so whichever one you choose, it’s worse.

Europeans seem to struggle with the concept of switching gears in the playoffs - the only thing that matters is the result - not possession or playing pretty or scoring buckets. A team playing together and with heart against a casual possession team often ends this badly.

Would be interested to see what evidence you can offer for this weapons-grade bullshit

FYI, in UCL today, Delph did almost the exact thing Callens did, but it was defending on Mertens.

And because Mertens isn’t a bitch and UCL refs aren’t nearly as shit as PRO, it wasn’t even called a foul.

ETA: and mostly, because they don’t have a worthless, stupid, ill-conceived implementation of VAR.

I keep thinking what must have gone through Callens mind at the time:

“Ok, box out, look over, create this space...thump! What? The guy ran right into my arm and now he’s on the ground like he’s shot? What the hell?”

One thing - do the VAR refs have the TV feed going? Because 1) Meram was down for a long time play acting - if the elbow had connected there would have been a bruise or something and 2) Twellman was ranting and ranting about “how that’s a RED CARD!” It seemed a long time before El-Crap got the call to look at the monitor.

The team completely wilted under pressure. That’s on PV.

I don’t agree with this.

You can prepare your squad for a playoff game. You can’t make good touches for them and run out there and hold their elbows down.

This isn’t a middle school team (although we have a few guys I wonder about).

When did Pirlo go from getting some playing time to getting no playing time?
After the 4/23 match (7 straight starts 3w-1t-3l), he started only 1 of the next 11 matches while the team went on a 7w-2t-2l run (the lone start during that run was a loss). He then started 2 of the next 8 matches (both starts were losses) when the team went 4-2-2. He then started 4 straight and the team went 1-2-1. And the final 4 matches he didn’t start at all and the team went 1-2-1.

When you can't help but make in earnest the exact argument I mocked with sarcasm 3 lines after you call out my sarcasm, then I'm pretty sure my sarcasm game is on point.

Look, we're in VAR world now, which means every contact with an opposing player's face is a potential red card. You can't analyze this like the Zapruder film. There's no umbrella man. Arm/face/contact = potential red, at the discretion of the refs. As was foretold in February:

I'm pretty sure you saw this coming back then too. And we're not the first victim. Kaka got a red a month or two back after VAR when he playfully put his hands on a guy's face while the ball was dead and the "victim" laughed. It's the system now. It's a bad system. But we're not unusually aggrieved.

I talked about this a few times in the VAR thread. Now it’s what will probably knock us out of the playoffs.

Reactions: mgarbowski
FYI, in UCL today, Delph did almost the exact thing Callens did, but it was defending on Mertens.

And because Mertens isn’t a bitch and UCL refs aren’t nearly as shit as PRO, it wasn’t even called a foul.

ETA: and mostly, because they don’t have a worthless, stupid, ill-conceived implementation of VAR.
FYI, Andy Carrol did this 3 times today. Only like once was it even called a foul.

Smeltzer did something way more vicious in Der Klassiker and only got a yellow.

It just a known fact that you raise your arm when you’re protecting space.

I can’t blame Alex for this much at all. Even if you could, I wouldn’t care. The guy has played every minute this year, and played them at a high level.

He got combo screwed/unlucky at the unluckiest of times.

I’m totally over it. Promise.

FYI, Andy Carrol did this 3 times today. Only like once was it even called a foul.

Smeltzer did something way more vicious in Der Klassiker and only got a yellow.

It just a known fact that you raise your arm when you’re protecting space.

I can’t blame Alex for this much at all. Even if you could, I wouldn’t care. The guy has played every minute this year, and played them at a high level.

He got combo screwed/unlucky at the unluckiest of times.

I’m totally over it. Promise.

A Pitchside buddy is presenting Meram with an Oscar tomorrow.