Columbus 2nd Leg ECS - Postmatch

He’s a unicorn. Half that would be fine.
I’ll elaborate: Villa is up there with Etcheverry, San Jose-era Donovan, Nowak, and Schelotto as the players in MLS history who did the most to elevate their teams. Most other successful sides (Galaxy, mid-2000s Revs) had more distributed talent (even Novak had Kubik). We will not see the likes of Villa often. And I’m hoping we’ll see more Giovincos.

Whoever did this well done.

I would not blame this game on Pirlo, but I would fire Vieira for subbing him in. No better sign that he gave up. Put in a guy with no fitness, no sharpness, and no value for a good-bye, then watch him send two balls over the goal line to waste 45-60 seconds of added time when we need a goal.

We didn't score once ourselves from the run of play. We have no finishers besides the captain, and if he is off, or swamped by defenders, we have nothing. Maybe Jack can pick up another move and become a solid threat to become a solid 3rd scorer. We have no second scorer.

Maxi being MOTM really sharpened the issues. He played the type of game that helps me understand the people who want to defend on the ground he is an extremely capable highly valuable player if you don't need him to score. But we needed goals tonight, Maxi was in the best position to get them, we had nobody who had better chances, and he failed. What a fucking waste of our 2017 DP slot.

One more final post. I’m gonna give props to Maxi. He is very good operating in a crowd and there have been countless instances this year in which other lesser players would cough up the ball and allow counters to be sprung. What he is not good at is opening up space for his teammates(the way David Silva does, hint hint), which, if you can’t shoot, is really important. If he were surrounded with more than one real forward, we might be very happy with him.

I know that White and Sweat were more defensively sound as FBs and that might make more sense for the away leg, but everyone with a brain could see how much better we were with Struna and Mata.

Major props to our defense this game. It gotta damn nervy a couple of times, but considering we were missing both our starting CBs, to get a shutout was impressive. Did not think that was possible when the starting XI came out
Everyone who touched the field tonight deserves praise. Except Pirlo. Why, Patrick? Why?

Even ugo challenged headers.

What was the point of Pirlo? Don’t even blame him. Stupidest time ever to get him in the team.

Last edited:
Tonight I nursed a double Makers Mark at Stan’s and thought: I won’t be back here until March. But next year I’ll be a better fan. And they’ll be a better team. The bittersweet, the disappointment and defeat make us all stronger.

We’ll be back. NYCFC til I die.

Last edited:
We were all reminded today why we were so dangerous to start the year. Mata had a great game and we needed him to start in the first leg. We defend best when we attack and we did that continuously tonight. Struna... why would he not play him in the first leg? The two guys that arguably brought the most tonight going forward were absent in the first leg.
Subs were too little too late. I knew as soon as we scored the second that he would wait too long to make a substitution. But the game needed something when they went to a 3 man pairing. I agreed with twellman for a change. He was basically yelling at PV to bring in Okoli and once he did we finally started winning some balls in the air since we had to play the boot it forward approach.

We were all reminded today why we were so dangerous to start the year. Mata had a great game and we needed him to start in the first leg. We defend best when we attack and we did that continuously tonight. Struna... why would he not play him in the first leg? The two guys that arguably brought the most tonight going forward were absent in the first leg.
Subs were too little too late. I knew as soon as we scored the second that he would wait too long to make a substitution. But the game needed something when they went to a 3 man pairing. I agreed with twellman for a change. He was basically yelling at PV to bring in Okoli and once he did we finally started winning some balls in the air since we had to play the boot it forward approach.
Wait, so Mata and Struna should have started in the first leg and we should have controlled possession and attacked?

Shut your mouth! No one has ever thought such a thing.

And by no one, I mean everyone but Vieira.

We looked like ourselves tonight. And that much I can say was at least fun.

Criminal that we didn’t get a 3rd. We deserved it. We dominated the match. It’s most incriminating of Vieira. He has consistently tied one arm behind our backs with his tactics, and he did it again tonight at the absolutely apex critical times.

I’m kind of done with him. If we win with him at this point, it’s in spite of his idiocy. This is the asshole who crushed momentum by benching Lewis. Also, the same asshole who forfeited to Toronto over playing Mix last year.

There’s no room for his brand of drill sargaent bullshit in modern football, especially in a salary capped league.

He has to adapt immediately or be replaced.

And if you doubt he’s out of his mind, remember he subbed in Pirlo in a match where there was literally no midfield. What in the crusty sock did he think that would acccomplish?

Don't blame the game on Pirlo at all. You're spot on with putting some of the blame on those two. Back line stepped up today. The guys up front couldn't finish, again.
THANK YOU BOSS !! My tears Thank You as well ! Andrea's Gone there was no need for the hate shown here ! PV could only give him his so called last 15 minuets of fame . Dan I know we've had a lot of differences in the past but to tell everyone not to blame Andrea took balls . Thank you again Boss !!

LDS Lion...

Well gosh darn it. We gave it all our all and we nearly got the results we wanted in the end. It just wasn't in the Lord's plan. Congratulations to Columbus.

Regular Lion...

1. The referee today was a complete joke. Thank god Kevin Stott called the penalty but where were many goal kicks that should have been corners. But my biggest gripe in the 5' of added time considering there were 3 injures that all took at least 2-3 minutes to address on the field. But even more than than is the time wasting by Zack Steffen. On several occasions I've counted to 14 before the ball was kicked. That's a fucking joke. If you're aren't going to give a yellow for time wasting, then you need to add more minutes at the end.
2. Before the game, Gregg Berhalter walked by our section to get to his side of the bench, truly odd. I said to him, "How is Justin Meram's face. Is he okay? Have a good game today." He shook my hand but didn't save anything. After the game, a friend on the other side wanted to give Meram an Oscar statue. A staff person on the Crew took it and crew it across the bench hiding the other side. It obviously broke. I screamed out, "Why would you that, it's a nice gesture." He replied, "Fuck off." I reply, "Why are you cursing at me?"
3. I think I counted three big missed chances and four other missed chances. Can't convert our chances is the slogan of 2017. We scored 13 goals less over the course of the season compared to last year. We need another goalscorer.
3. Maxi Moralez is not a DP in the way that NYCFC should have DPs. He's not worth the spot. We can and must do better with the scouting network and finances of CFG.
4. Jack Harrison got by players today and did well with the ball on his feet, but didn't finish. And he needs to finish.
5. Ben Sweat filled into the CB position well. With his, Brillant, and Sean Johnson's effort we kept a clean sheet. I think the only mistake that Johnson made was punching the ball directly to the middle that hit Meram's face. Ben Sweat truly has been the revelation of the season. Especially considering his salary.
6. Vieira was the most visible frustrated with us missing chances of the season. He kicked the video board so hard, I thought it would break.
7. Okoli was supposed to come in at the 75', but Vieira then pushed back the sub until 80'. I don't understand the Pirlo substitution. I don't understand Lewis coming on with 5 minutes of added time to play.
8. Fuck Columbus. I'm rooting for Toronto. I want a CCL spot in 2019 and a Canadian team winning MLS Cup helps us get that spot.

Sucks to be eliminated but I love how we fought back tonight. We had a real shot at the end there at making the comeback and I'm proud of that. Think about this: we improved so much this year and that was with 2 effective DPs. Imagine how much better we can be if we make the right replacement for Pirlo. In regards to Vieira, after his first season in MLS he realized you can't play out of the back 100% of the time and he made the adjustment which made us better. Hopefully next year he won't put too much emphasis on "defensive effort" and play the best attackers we have on our forward line.

Vieira was the most visible frustrated with us missing chances of the season. He kicked the video board so hard, I thought it would break.
If he cares so much, he should have seen how much I deflated when he sent on Pirlo.

Btw, props to the crowd tonight. I thought it was excellent and educated and a big part of the domination. Our team really missed having a home game for 2 months.

LDS Lion...

Well gosh darn it. We gave it all our all and we nearly got the results we wanted in the end. It just wasn't in the Lord's plan. Congratulations to Columbus.

Regular Lion...

1. The referee today was a complete joke. Thank god Kevin Stott called the penalty but where were many goal kicks that should have been corners. But my biggest gripe in the 5' of added time considering there were 3 injures that all took at least 2-3 minutes to address on the field. But even more than than is the time wasting by Zack Steffen. On several occasions I've counted to 14 before the ball was kicked. That's a fucking joke. If you're aren't going to give a yellow for time wasting, then you need to add more minutes at the end.
2. Before the game, Gregg Berhalter walked by our section to get to his side of the bench, truly odd. I said to him, "How is Justin Meram's face. Is he okay? Have a good game today." He shook my hand but didn't save anything. After the game, a friend on the other side wanted to give Meram an Oscar statue. A staff person on the Crew took it and crew it across the bench hiding the other side. It obviously broke. I screamed out, "Why would you that, it's a nice gesture." He replied, "Fuck off." I reply, "Why are you cursing at me?"
3. I think I counted three big missed chances and four other missed chances. Can't convert our chances is the slogan of 2017. We scored 13 goals less over the course of the season compared to last year. We need another goalscorer.
3. Maxi Moralez is not a DP in the way that NYCFC should have DPs. He's not worth the spot. We can and must do better with the scouting network and finances of CFG.
4. Jack Harrison got by players today and did well with the ball on his feet, but didn't finish. And he needs to finish.
5. Ben Sweat filled into the CB position well. With his, Brillant, and Sean Johnson's effort we kept a clean sheet. I think the only mistake that Johnson made was punching the ball directly to the middle that hit Meram's face. Ben Sweat truly has been the revelation of the season. Especially considering his salary.
6. Vieira was the most visible frustrated with us missing chances of the season. He kicked the video board so hard, I thought it would break.
7. Okoli was supposed to come in at the 75', but Vieira then pushed back the sub until 80'. I don't understand the Pirlo substitution. I don't understand Lewis coming on with 5 minutes of added time to play.
8. Fuck Columbus. I'm rooting for Toronto. I want a CCL spot in 2019 and a Canadian team winning MLS Cup helps us get that spot.
Hey buddy.