Contending in 2018

Lol I know y'all probably haven't scrutinized the highlights because it's painful as hell, but I listened to Bobby Warshaw crucify Mata on this one too: https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/m...w-sc-vs-new-york-city-fc/details/video/140250

Nowhere to be found on the 4v2? He's the one sprinting to make an option for Ring that Ring ignores. He's going full speed the wrong way because Ring (uncharacteristically) ignored a simple pass to turn into a 3v1 and we're blaming MATA for this one?

I can't hate on Mata that hard for number 4 either. As a left back he's quite rightfully trying to close off the pass to the guy to his left. For some reason Brillant goes to mark the guy to Mata's left which leaves a gap you could steer a cruise ship through. I chalk that one up to tired legs, crushed spirits and defensive disarray.

But I get that scapegoating individuals is fun and gratifying. It's just ... Not really the actual thing in a team sport where most failures are complex.

Sorry NYCFC_Dan NYCFC_Dan , I edited after you liked, feel free to rescind.
Yes I watched the replay, and your description of it is exactly my point- as a defender, the first rule is to always do no wrong/defend first & attack later. Mata was sprinting at full speed, because as I’ve said in the past, he’s never seen an attack he didn’t want to join.

On the fourth, you’re probably right about the tired legs, crushed spirits, and disarray, but if I’m defending at the top of the box as the man nearest the ball, I give up the outside and close down the middle, but that’s just me.

Yes I watched the replay, and your description of it is exactly my point- as a defender, the first rule is to always do no wrong/defend first & attack later. Mata was sprinting at full speed, because as I’ve said in the past, he’s never seen an attack he didn’t want to join.

There's a big difference between making a run forward to give your embattled DM an option to get rid of the ball and charging forward to make an attacking play. I want my FB making that run all day.

The modern fullback in europe is a skilled attacker that still defends first.

Antonio Valencia is an awesome winger, probably because he started as a winger, but he rarely gets beaten and it’s even more rare when he hangs his CB out to dry.
You aren't putting the sub in the context of the game. Did PV put Mata in there to defend or a desperate attempt to go all out and attack to make up a goal? If this was some regular game and we saw this your arguement would hold more weight.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Exactly we're fucking Arsenal.

I mean, give me a break with this.

We're three years in! In most team sports in America, teams take way longer than that after expansion to start to see success.

And don't point at Atlanta, which was a fun as hell team to watch before losing in the Knockout Round. We've had more playoff success than they have.

We're on a good track here, even if we lose tonight. Three years in, we finished the regular season as the 2nd-best team in the league. That's amazing! Playoffs notwithstanding, three years after expansion, to be the second-best team in the league this regular-season ... we're on the right track.

You aren't putting the sub in the context of the game. Did PV put Mata in there to defend or a desperate attempt to go all out and attack to make up a goal? If this was some regular game and we saw this your arguement would hold more weight.
I’m putting the sub in the context of the sub. He came on as a LB not a LW.

That a very simplistic take on things. Our manager is know for playing a very unbalanced line. It's totally realistic that he told Mata to play forward when he sub on and the three other defenders play defense.
How is it simplistic? He could have told Mata that, but who knows? We do know he was playing LB based on where he was positioning himself during stoppages. If offense was his first priority as you’re alluding to, then Lewis would have been the obvious and logical choice, but he wasn’t tapped while the “defender” was.

Sands could replace Hererra by allowing Ring to push higher. Still need another 1-2 MF capable starters to rotate in since we are a team plagued by injuries and cards.

I was referring to the production being replaced by those players

Reactions: Ulrich
Fuck all I said before. Number 1 priority is bringing back Jack and Herrera and getting a DP poacher

I mean, give me a break with this.

We're three years in! In most team sports in America, teams take way longer than that after expansion to start to see success.

And don't point at Atlanta, which was a fun as hell team to watch before losing in the Knockout Round. We've had more playoff success than they have.

We're on a good track here, even if we lose tonight. Three years in, we finished the regular season as the 2nd-best team in the league. That's amazing! Playoffs notwithstanding, three years after expansion, to be the second-best team in the league this regular-season ... we're on the right track.

I actually agree your opinion. Just a 3 years old football club, it’s been more successful than any other football club for sure. Now I really hope that Collen comes back to team with something he learned from the first leg red card and is not going to repeat the same shitty play again. I mean forever. ..That really messed all this playoff games and plans.

I am also proud of how they played today. Yes they lost for the playoff but they dominated the game and scored 2-0 was really something meaningful for the team. If they (all players) can play like that in home and away game, nobody can beat NYCFC. I think training their mentality is one of the priorities for this team...

Last edited:
Reactions: daveh
In a 4-3-3, I don't think people realize how much having shitty outside back play affects the wingers. Remember when Wallace was good, even great at times? He had Mata. Remember when Jack was dominating bitches? Chanot was healthy, allowing average to bad right backs a chance to push up the field. Jack has been manning the right flank by himself. I can't tell you how many times the first half the season we saw Jack interchange with White or Allen which allowed Jack to get into space and allowed those guys to send in a cross or play a crucial pass in setting up an assist. We haven't seen ANY of that the last half of the season. Literally a dimension of the game is gone.

A perfect non-NYCFC exmaple is looking at Pulisic with the USMNT against Costa Rica and Panama. Against CR, his RB was Graham Zusi, and Pulisic looked like TRASH. Against Panama, the RB was Yedlin, and Pulisic looked like an all world player.

Can Struna be our RB? Maybe. But I think investing in a player like Afful, Lawrence, or Powell would make Jack the best RW in MLS.

Not to toot my own horn, but think this summed up the importance of good outside backs tonight. Wallace played his best game since the first half of the year, largely because Mata was beasting it.

Not to toot my own horn, but think this summed up the importance of good outside backs tonight. Wallace played his best game since the first half of the year, largely because Mata was beasting it.
Ummm, lemme get some of that shout. I’ve been a holdout on jumping on Wallace because of same.

We have some good pieces. We have a manager that is poor at situational lineups and tactics.

Wallace was fantastic tonight. Really hard to find a bad spot on the team. I was incredibly impressed. Jack in practice on Friday looked rough, and unfortunate that it carried into the match. We really gifted Columbus a lot, and still almost came back. Bravo to the team and the supporter's section tonight. It was loud from kickoff to whistle.

Has there been any further talk on Chanot? Is he back next year? He is a beast and it would be a big loss for us if he's not back. And then you have to find another CB who can pass well

Reactions: Kjbert and daveh