Cosmos Vs Rbny

No it's their official page. Search New York red on fb.
I love the supporters who claimed they'll make the switch to us and the diehards who chastised them.

MLS has been fielding rookies/academy kids since 1996. Considering most of the MLS squads tonight not only rested starters but are clearly hurting in the league, they probably figured "screw it this year".

Absolutely nothing he can do on those three goals. They were beautiful.
He should have left his line to collect the through ball for the first goal. It was at the edge of his six yard box before the striker reached it.

As a guy who is somewhat new to MLS, maybe somebody can help me out.

First of all I don't want to take anything away from the Cosmos. They kicked Red Bull ass for 90 minutes, case closed.

On the other hand, how does RBNY go into this game sending a virtual B Team? I can understand Henry not playing on that crap field, because that's pretty much standard operating procedure with them. But if they're not interested in the tournament why enter? They're next game is like two weeks away, so it's not like they had to rest people. Are MLS teams forced to participate in the Open Cup?

Anybody with half a clue knew the Cosmos were looking at this match like it was their Super Bowl. With what was on the line why would RBNY not take the game as seriously as Nassau County? At the risk of further alienating a fan base that is already uber pissed off why put forth such a half-assed effort in the match?

From reading newspaper articles and surfing in and out of other internet forums it just seems to me RBNY had little to no interest about the match last Saturday. Again, I don't want to take anything away from the total domination and whomping the Cosmos put on the Red Bulls, but given the circumstances one would think the Jersey Boys would/should have gone about this match a little different.

Am I off base here? Straighten me out if I am.

P.S. Anybody know what the attendance numbers were? I didn't see them posted anywhere.

Reactions: Paul and NYCBlue

First of all I don't want to take anything away from the Cosmos. They kicked Red Bull ass for 90 minutes, case closed.

On the other hand, how does RBNY go into this game sending a virtual B Team? I can understand Henry not playing on that crap field, because that's pretty much standard operating procedure with them. But if they're not interested in the tournament why enter? They're next game is like two weeks away, so it's not like they had to rest people. Are MLS teams forced to participate in the Open Cup?

Anybody with half a clue knew the Cosmos were looking at this match like it was their Super Bowl. With what was on the line why would RBNY not take the game as seriously as Nassau County? At the risk of further alienating a fan base that is already uber pissed off why put forth such a half-assed effort in the match?

From reading newspaper articles and surfing in and out of other internet forums it just seems to me RBNY had little to no interest about the match last Saturday. Again, I don't want to take anything away from the total domination and whomping the Cosmos put on the Red Bulls, but given the circumstances one would think the Jersey Boys would/should have gone about this match a little different.

P.S. Anybody know what the attendance numbers were? I didn't see them posted anywhere.

I was at the game, the attendance was just over 9000.

It-s-over-9000-its-over-9000-29849302-496-370.jpg

(Sorry to everyone who doesn't get the reference, but I just had to)

As for the Red Bulls, they fielded all the best players they had available to them. They didn't field a B team per se. Sure it wasn't their full first team but it was clear that Petke did care about the match.

They fielded Eric Alexander, Jonny Steele, Bradley Wright Phillips (their leading scorer), Lloyd Sam, etc.

Based on the history of what kinda teams MLS clubs field in this competition, RB fielded a very good side.

Whether the players on the field or upper management cared is another story.

As you said, the game was much more important to the Cosmos, as RB has already qualified for the Champions League.

Reactions: Sean Og and BxLio91
1) RB has to enter tournament. MLS requirement.

2) although there was starters up top and midfield, their defense were recent academy graduates, a few have never played for the senior team before.

Reactions: NYCBlue
1) RB has to enter tournament. MLS requirement.

2) although there was starters up top and midfield, their defense were recent academy graduates, a few have never played for the senior team before.

Well Sekagya was placed in midfield and Olave was out.

Beyond the defensive lapses, the starters up front looked like a joke all game. Especially with no Dax or Cahill winning the ball in midfield.

You're pretty straight on. This was also the Cosmos' Champion's League final. The Open Cup is the only meaningful trophy they're actually competing for. Where as the RedBulls and many other MLS teams only see the competition as nothing more than extra games that will make their players tired. So they only play b-squads.

It was very stupid from the RedBulls in my opinion. A trophy is a trophy. And with how poor they've been this season this was probably their only chance of winning silverware. Hopefully NYCFC has a different mentality.

I was at the game, the attendance was just over 9000.

It-s-over-9000-its-over-9000-29849302-496-370.jpg

(Sorry to everyone who doesn't get the reference, but I just had to)

As for the Red Bulls, they fielded all the best players they had available to them. They didn't field a B team per se. Sure it wasn't their full first team but it was clear that Petke did care about the match.

They fielded Eric Alexander, Jonny Steele, Bradley Wright Phillips (their leading scorer), Lloyd Sam, etc.

Based on the history of what kinda teams MLS clubs field in this competition, RB fielded a very good side.

Whether the players on the field or upper management cared is another story.

As you said, the game was much more important to the Cosmos, as RB has already qualified for the Champions League.
LIKE TIME 9000

Any else enjoying the crying and whining from our Long Island friends? Not sure if I'm enjoying it more than the Harrison guys getting humiliated by the LI cockroaches