COVID-19 - Leagues Suspended

Yeah, I went to the supermarket today to buy food for two weeks in case we all get quarantined (which is starting to feel likely as the entire country is pretty much shutting down), and it was madness. My Whole Foods had nothing left in the packaged meat area, there was no rice, no paper products, half the shelves were completely bizarre. I had to go to the Stop & Shop down the street to finish getting everything I needed. It was the most surreal experience I've ever had trying to shop.

I don't know if this level of panic is correct (Here in southern Westchester, there is certainly reason to be concerned since I live less than 10 miles from New Rochelle), but I do know that there is a high level of panic in this part of the country right now. Many of us won't be going to work for the better part of the next 2-3 weeks, it feels like.
Similar results when I went to my local target up in White Plains, also not far from New Rochelle with my gf. There was no toilet paper left at all, just replaced by tissues and paper towels. There was a decent amount of hand soap and cleaning supplies aside from hand sanitizer, those shelves are completely empty. Food wise it looked okay but a lot of frozen and canned items were slimming down.

Guess I'm getting a bidet, hopefully Prime has some lol.

yeah, hopefully it'll show most companies how pointless having a massive amount of office space truly is

As long as Google, WebEx/Cisco, Skype, Microsoft, etc can handle the massive amounts of people working from home, I have a feeling that the biggest long term impact of this thing is going to be a shift in the working culture of America.

As long as Google, WebEx/Cisco, Skype, Microsoft, etc can handle the massive amounts of people working from home, I have a feeling that the biggest long term impact of this thing is going to be a shift in the working culture of America.

Doubt it. The bigger problem will be for businesses struggling or closing during this time to recover. The small businesses or ones where telework is not an option.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Nah, for a few reasons
1) There are a lot of people that either mentally or physically can't work from home. Need their social aspect of talking to other people, or just go nuts staying in their house all day
2) They won't want to admit it works so well.

Mainly #2 if I had to admit...
A lot of companies feel like workers don't work as well from home, or at least they can't keep track of their workload as to what's actually getting done. I have the ability to work from home with my job, but because it is a relatively new thing (for our company) most employees don't have it yet, or are too old to figure out how to connect their laptop to their home wifi and then connect via VPN. I still don't have the go-ahead from uppers to solely work from home so I unfortunately still have to commute.

My president also likes being able to see everyone working at their desk. I think there were also one or two employees who had the ability to WFH and they noticed their work rate was slightly or much less efficient than being at the office. Due to that, management is weary to give the rest of us or trust most of the workforce with it. Unfortunate, but that's how it is for me currently. See how the next few days and weeks go.

Can we bring this back now?

giphy.gif

Errbody getting infected up in hurrr

Yeah, I went to the supermarket today to buy food for two weeks in case we all get quarantined (which is starting to feel likely as the entire country is pretty much shutting down), and it was madness. My Whole Foods had nothing left in the packaged meat area, there was no rice, no paper products, half the shelves were completely bizarre. I had to go to the Stop & Shop down the street to finish getting everything I needed. It was the most surreal experience I've ever had trying to shop.

I don't know if this level of panic is correct (Here in southern Westchester, there is certainly reason to be concerned since I live less than 10 miles from New Rochelle), but I do know that there is a high level of panic in this part of the country right now. Many of us won't be going to work for the better part of the next 2-3 weeks, it feels like.

hmm supermarkt near me seemed not crowded at all today in the morning ( must be the time) the canned foods seemed mostly empty but there was a truck restocking meats like chicken beef etc. still was able to get some pasta and bread

Similar results when I went to my local target up in White Plains, also not far from New Rochelle with my gf. There was no toilet paper left at all, just replaced by tissues and paper towels. There was a decent amount of hand soap and cleaning supplies aside from hand sanitizer, those shelves are completely empty. Food wise it looked okay but a lot of frozen and canned items were slimming down.

Guess I'm getting a bidet, hopefully Prime has some lol.
You’re in the burbs buddy..... just work out the partitioning of the yard with your dog and grab the Garden hose.

The basic civic illiteracy of this article infuriates me. Katie Porter is not a hero for grilling an CDC director into implementing her preferred policy. She is a member of Congress failing to do her job. You know what Congress has the power to do?

Set taxes.
Create budgets.
Implement policy and spending priorities.

But they stopped doing this in any responsible fashion a few decades ago. Instead Congress -- both parties in full *-- pass broad laws with no detail and then sit back and blame others when they don't get the results they want. As a consequence we end up with the President, bureaucrats (appointed by the President), and judges (also appointed by the President) making policy decisions Congress lacks the courage to make themselves. Which is why every presidential election is an all-or-nothing death match that both sides believe they cannot afford to lose because Congress -- the most representative branch directly answerable to local constituents -- won't do what they are supposed to do and everything ends up in the hands of either the president or people the president appoints.

Congress just passed a $8.3 billion bi-partisan nearly unanimous funding bill directly addressing Corona. Was money for free tests in it? If not why not? Also if not, then that's the fault of Congress -- not the CDC head. If such funding was specified, then the CDC head shouldn't be in a position to make a contrary decision. The idiot cheerleading Rolling Stone reporter does not even think to provide this information or ask the questions that would shed light on it.

* This really is a both sides thing and not recent. In the past 50-70 years we have had periods of both houses controlled by Democrats, both by Republicans, and mixed control. In none of those periods has Congress asserted -- and taken responsibility for -- its full powers as provided in the Constitution. Instead they defer almost all specific decisions to administrators under the control of the Executive Branch, because congressional members realized they can pass these vague laws, then sit back, and point figures, which is easier than actually making specific decisions and taking responsibility.

You’re in the burbs buddy..... just work out the partitioning of the yard with your dog and grab the Garden hose.
Unfortunately my yard is also used by 50-100 other residents of my apartment building. I guess I could go for a hike a few blocks away though...

Reactions: Kjbert
Unfortunately my yard is also used by 50-100 other residents of my apartment building. I guess I could go for a hike a few blocks away though...
Give it a month and everybody will partition their 2x3 area :)

Reactions: Schwallacus
A lot of companies feel like workers don't work as well from home, or at least they can't keep track of their workload as to what's actually getting done. I have the ability to work from home with my job, but because it is a relatively new thing (for our company) most employees don't have it yet, or are too old to figure out how to connect their laptop to their home wifi and then connect via VPN. I still don't have the go-ahead from uppers to solely work from home so I unfortunately still have to commute.

My president also likes being able to see everyone working at their desk. I think there were also one or two employees who had the ability to WFH and they noticed their work rate was slightly or much less efficient than being at the office. Due to that, management is weary to give the rest of us or trust most of the workforce with it. Unfortunate, but that's how it is for me currently. See how the next few days and weeks go.
This is kind of where I am. I am able to work from home, and work in a firm/industry that is quite used to people working remotely. Yet, we are all incredibly more efficient when being able to meet together in person.

I'll be looking to be able to work remotely for the time being as makes sense, but I do know the various projects I'm working on are likely to not move as fast as they normally would had I been able to be in my office, or at a client site.

Haven't seen this mentioned here yet. According to the Athletic, MLS would prefer to add the postponed games to the end of the season. I think this is the early intention and certainly subject to change, but that's how they are thinking about it.

Trump is having a news conf now... expected to announce a national emergency.

Haven't seen this mentioned here yet. According to the Athletic, MLS would prefer to add the postponed games to the end of the season. I think this is the early intention and certainly subject to change, but that's how they are thinking about it.
Would not play out good for us if the Yankees make it to the playoffs. And if MLB decides to do the same for their league.

Reactions: Kjbert
The basic civic illiteracy of this article infuriates me. Katie Porter is not a hero for grilling an CDC director into implementing her preferred policy. She is a member of Congress failing to do her job. You know what Congress has the power to do?

Set taxes.
Create budgets.
Implement policy and spending priorities.

But they stopped doing this in any responsible fashion a few decades ago. Instead Congress -- both parties in full *-- pass broad laws with no detail and then sit back and blame others when they don't get the results they want. As a consequence we end up with the President, bureaucrats (appointed by the President), and judges (also appointed by the President) making policy decisions Congress lacks the courage to make themselves. Which is why every presidential election is an all-or-nothing death match that both sides believe they cannot afford to lose because Congress -- the most representative branch directly answerable to local constituents -- won't do what they are supposed to do and everything ends up in the hands of either the president or people the president appoints.

Congress just passed a $8.3 billion bi-partisan nearly unanimous funding bill directly addressing Corona. Was money for free tests in it? If not why not? Also if not, then that's the fault of Congress -- not the CDC head. If such funding was specified, then the CDC head shouldn't be in a position to make a contrary decision. The idiot cheerleading Rolling Stone reporter does not even think to provide this information or ask the questions that would shed light on it.

* This really is a both sides thing and not recent. In the past 50-70 years we have had periods of both houses controlled by Democrats, both by Republicans, and mixed control. In none of those periods has Congress asserted -- and taken responsibility for -- its full powers as provided in the Constitution. Instead they defer almost all specific decisions to administrators under the control of the Executive Branch, because congressional members realized they can pass these vague laws, then sit back, and point figures, which is easier than actually making specific decisions and taking responsibility.
well said! I was just happy about the free tests (not like they're widely available right now)

Reactions: mgarbowski
This is kind of where I am. I am able to work from home, and work in a firm/industry that is quite used to people working remotely. Yet, we are all incredibly more efficient when being able to meet together in person.

I'll be looking to be able to work remotely for the time being as makes sense, but I do know the various projects I'm working on are likely to not move as fast as they normally would had I been able to be in my office, or at a client site.
Unfortunately I think the most robust system offers firms limited savings and requires significant trust and good faith. But ideally the operation maintains an office large enough for most to come in every day, yet give them the power to exercise discretion to work remotely. My office has this policy on an unofficial de facto basis for our professional staff, and it works. But most people still come in most of the time -- working at home once a week is common) -- and we don't really save on office space or anything related. A very small number almost never come in, and as you note, for certain projects at certain times you just have to have people in the same space or it won't work as efficiently. A good portion of my own work can be done anywhere on my own at max efficiency, but occasionally that's just not true.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
That could lead to canceling the playoffs and making the point total the champion, even if an unbalanced schedule. There’s not enough time to reschedule postponed matches and have the playoffs.

That could lead to canceling the playoffs and making the point total the champion, even if an unbalanced schedule. There’s not enough time to reschedule postponed matches and have the playoffs.

or maybe eliminate the regular season and just have the play offs?

Reactions: adam