COVID-19 - Leagues Suspended

So why is more testing not being done? Are we exceeding capacity or are we choosing not to test certain people because they don't seem to have the right symptoms?

I've read stories about cases involving the latter. But the former could also be true and in a way, requiring the latter.
Because there aren’t enough test kits. And evidently, one part of the kits that makes it workable is the RNA portion of sequenced virus, but there is an extremely short supply of it and our govt delayed purchase.

Evidently, Europe bought up a ton but we pissed them off last night so id expect some begging is going on.

Reactions: Kjbert
Welp! NYC confirmed case doubled since yesterday from 42 to 95, and that’s without rampant testing. Buckle up

Saw something earlier that tracked the confirmed cases in Italy and they were basically doubling day by day.... So maybe we're on that track :confused:

Stores are mental right now - everybody rushing around panic shopping and me tryna do my weekly shop in the middle of it all.

Saw something earlier that tracked the confirmed cases in Italy and they were basically doubling day by day.... So maybe we're on that track :confused:

Stores are mental right now - everybody rushing around panic shopping and me tryna do my weekly shop in the middle of it all.
I was nearly stampeded picking up my prescription at Costco yesterday. They actually had to rope off the back corner where they have paper, water and cleaning supplies like it was a club. They had a line 100 deep of people waiting just to enter that section. They also went to the "grab a ticket, pick up 1 case at register" system for diapers and baby wipes. I'm very fortunate that I and my family prefer bar soap instead of liquid hand soap, because they had Irish spring for days, but like no liquid.
It's a wild world. T

• Wow
Reactions: Kjbert and Jock
For what it’s worth here’s some info for everyone. I’m a manager at a grocery chain down here in Florida. Last sales week (Sun-Sat) was our company’s 5th largest ever in sales and our divisions 2nd largest ever.
I’m not saying you should panic buy but a lot of people are. What happens when things possibly get worse is everyone panic buys and then at that point there are less essential supplies for everyone. With supply chains impacted and possibly having imports/exports impacted there will be a shortage of some goods. A lot of fruits and vegetables are supplied out of the country this time of the year do to winter weather. Southern Hemisphere is in their summer/fall when fruits/veggies are harvested and exported to the US.
It honestly doesn’t hurt to buy 4-5 cases of water. You’ll drink them. Or just spend $20-$30 on a faucet filtration system.
PSA - If you go to your local store and they’re out of something (such as sanitizer) it’s not their fault. No company purposely runs out of product. Manufacturers simply can not cope with production needs. Not to mention that a lot of those sanitation supplies are going to medical facilities right now rather than retail. The biggest culprit of out of stocks is transportation. Additional truck drivers don’t just magically show up when there is a need and there are a lot of laws preventing the available drivers from driving more than the permitted amount.
So really the only thing you need is water and toiletries. Yes, people are buying a shit ton of toilet paper. Your fridge is working, your water is running but if you run out of TP and don’t want to leave the house and need to wipe your ass you’re not gonna use a shirt.

We’ve seen people do some dumb stuff. The bank next to us is having a lot of people pull their cash out. Why? It’s not a computer virus or a storm... the banks won’t lose your money.

So, based on what we’re seeing it couldn’t hurt going to the grocery store and buy water, toiletries and perhaps some canned goods just in case.
If you’re buying fresh produce PLEASE wash it thoroughly. I can’t tell you how many people are still openly coughing and sneezing in our stores despite all of this craziness. Then they get mad we don’t have sanitizer lol.

I appreciate your intentions are good, and I know you're only trying to help. But I think it's extremely inappropriate and borderline reckless for the moderator of a forum like this one, who is neither a healthcare professional nor a logistics expert, to be out here saying "I'm not saying you should panic buy but..."

Last edited:
giphy.gif

yea - it is a mad house out there. everyone be careful and be safe. i am the type who enjoys seeing non-food item things like tp, paper towels, soap, etc fully stocked in my closet so I was fully stocked well before covid-19 came into play. glad i don't have to fight anybody for some double ply tp. that being said, if anyone is truly having a hard time getting tp, i suggest getting yourself a bidet or travel bidet to help ration the amount of tp you already have. plus it's cleaner!

Close the schools you fuckhead de Blasio

there's a lot of consequences to closing schools. it's not an easy decision. they seem to be doing it as cases pop up. a sweeping all schools closed will screw a lot of people who don't have built in childcare and simply cannot take off work for one reason or another.

I appreciate your intentions are good, and I know you're only trying to help. But I think it's extremely inappropriate and borderline reckless for the moderator of a forum like this one, who is neither a healthcare professional nor a logistics expert, to be out here saying "I'm not saying you should panic buy but..."
That’s a bit harsh. Our shelves are already empty. I can’t tell you how many people cursed me out today for something I have zero control over. I don’t have to be a logistics expert to reiterate information our corporate office is sharing with me. Raw hides are Predominately sourced from China If you feed your dog raw hides and we put an embargo on Chinese goods don’t expect to buy raw hides at your grocery stores. Has nothing to do with being an expert. It’s cause and effect. I deal with this 5-10 times a year with flooding and hurricanes. ‘Why do you always run out of water every time’ It’s not possible to store water outside, our warehouses are only so big, there’s only so many truck drivers, there is an order of importance (directly hit areas, emergency services). Also, I go in tomorrow at 4am and I’ll take a picture of the barren and empty shelves.
I’m not making you or forcing you to do anything. Today was probably the worst day we have had since this all began and it’s mostly because of every major sporting event being cancelled across the country and other parts of the world. It has driven people to a near panic.
We are at a 25-30% increase in sales and it’s simply not sustainable as there isn’t product to support us. We are already allocated on all major toiletries and are prohibiting the purchasing of more than 2 sanitizers (if we even get them) paper towels, soaps, toilet papers, etc.
I have every right to come on here and state a fact. I’m in Florida and this is my good friend in Houston. ‘The line curves left and goes on for another 25-30 feet to get to the registers.’
FA77E44A-8881-4CA4-8065-2D08E60D09CD.jpeg

If you read over what I write and aren’t panicked then great. I work here and I haven’t stocked up on anything. It doesn’t change the fact that other people are. I made a simple recommendation saying ‘it wouldn’t hurt’ based on what I’m seeing. I shouldn’t be subject to censorship and suppression of opinion because I’m the owner of the forum.

Last edited:
Yeah, I went to the supermarket today to buy food for two weeks in case we all get quarantined (which is starting to feel likely as the entire country is pretty much shutting down), and it was madness. My Whole Foods had nothing left in the packaged meat area, there was no rice, no paper products, half the shelves were completely bizarre. I had to go to the Stop & Shop down the street to finish getting everything I needed. It was the most surreal experience I've ever had trying to shop.

I don't know if this level of panic is correct (Here in southern Westchester, there is certainly reason to be concerned since I live less than 10 miles from New Rochelle), but I do know that there is a high level of panic in this part of the country right now. Many of us won't be going to work for the better part of the next 2-3 weeks, it feels like.

yeah, hopefully it'll show most companies how pointless having a massive amount of office space truly is
Nah, for a few reasons
1) There are a lot of people that either mentally or physically can't work from home. Need their social aspect of talking to other people, or just go nuts staying in their house all day
2) They won't want to admit it works so well.

Mainly #2 if I had to admit...