COVID-19 - Leagues Suspended

Things are getting better in NY and many other states that were hit early. There is reason to optimistic about some kind of restart to the MLS season, almost certainly without fans, at least at first. The problem is that other states were way earlier in the curve when they shut down and are opening up earlier too. We could easily end up in a situation where the northeast is in good shape for having games, while other states are back in lockdown. It's a big country, and not every region was going to roll along in the same way, and the differences seem likely to be more dramatic.

Reactions: Kjbert

Probably requires a subscription to view.

Summary, the president of Olympique Lyonnais, Jean-Michel Aulas, is proposing that European leagues finish 2019-20 whenever they can, and then move to a calendar-year based season in 2021 and going forward. Not clear if it has any support elsewhere, [see below] though Aulas is a big deal and serves on the board of the European association of football clubs.

Pro-rel for USA? Mexico says nah.
US soccer needs to adopt the European schedule? Virus says let Europe adopt the US schedule.

giphy.gif

ETA: closer reading reveals the proposal was first made by OGC Nice and also has support from PSG.

Last edited:
Things are getting better in NY and many other states that were hit early. There is reason to optimistic about some kind of restart to the MLS season, almost certainly without fans, at least at first. The problem is that other states were way earlier in the curve when they shut down and are opening up earlier too. We could easily end up in a situation where the northeast is in good shape for having games, while other states are back in lockdown. It's a big country, and not every region was going to roll along in the same way, and the differences seem likely to be more dramatic.
I'm finding it fascinating how people have such different expectations based on the same data. I think NY will have to be the last place to open back up and will have the worst second wave if we're not. I have no interest in arguing. You have your reasons and I have mine. Neither can prove anything and we'll see what happens.

Reactions: moogoo and Kjbert

Probably requires a subscription to view.

Summary, the president of Olympique Lyonnais, Jean-Michel Aulas, is proposing that European leagues finish 2019-20 whenever they can, and then move to a calendar-year based season in 2021 and going forward. Not clear if it has any support elsewhere, [see below] though Aulas is a big deal and serves on the board of the European association of football clubs.

Pro-rel for USA? Mexico says nah.
US soccer needs to adopt the European schedule? Virus says let Europe adopt the US schedule.

giphy.gif

ETA: closer reading reveals the proposal was first made by OGC Nice and also has support from PSG.
Logistically, it probably makes the most sense for them in order to play the maximum amount of games (both with and without fans).

Speaking of second waves, here’s our brilliant mayor, this morning;

At some point when this is all over, we should absolutely have a parade down the Canyon of Heroes for the healthcare workers. That is absolutely something that should happen.

It shouldn't happen any time soon, but down the line, when this thing is finally totally finished it should happen.

At some point when this is all over, we should absolutely have a parade down the Canyon of Heroes for the healthcare workers. That is absolutely something that should happen.

It shouldn't happen any time soon, but down the line, when this thing is finally totally finished it should happen.
I suspect that most of them would say that's the worst way we could celebrate them. Sadly, parades in New York may/should go the way of the handshake. (But I get your point, they are all superheroes and deserve to be celebrated in a manner equivalent to that.)

Reactions: Kjbert
I suspect that most of them would say that's the worst way we could celebrate them. Sadly, parades in New York may/should go the way of the handshake. (But I get your point, they are all superheroes and deserve to be celebrated in a manner equivalent to that.)

I'm saying in 12-18 months when this is over. Not now. God no, this shouldn't happen right now. But when we have a vaccine and large gatherings/events are finally safe, which probably won't be until sometime next year, we should hold a parade.

Reactions: Gotham Gator
I'm saying in 12-18 months when this is over. Not now. God no, this shouldn't happen right now. But when we have a vaccine and large gatherings/events are finally safe, which probably won't be until sometime next year, we should hold a parade.
I wish I was this optimistic! My point was that I think we are much further off from "finally safe" to the point where a parade in New York is a good/safe idea.

Fascinating article Q&A with one of the leading infectious disease/virologist experts.

Reactions: Vallos and JayH
I think certain leagues will come back in January for games. December for training.

Reactions: Schwallacus