David Villa To Nycfc?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That seems to be the plan in action. 4 divisions - 6 teams per division, but you still play everyone in the East twice and the West once for a total of 34 matches. Top three in each division make the playoffs - the bottom two in each division play a one-off for a spot in the conference semifinals. From there, it's a simple 1st vs. 2nd but crossover match. Therefore, half of the teams will have a chance to compete in the playoffs with 4 assured of a quarterfinal place.

The only valid reason for divisions in my opinion is to play an unbalanced schedule. If the unbalanced schedule ends at the conference level, they shouldn't be further divided. A lesser concern is that there are seven "Northeast" teams, meaning one of DC United or Toronto would have to be split from their more natural geographic rivals.

I've always been a fan of ladder-style playoffs, so I would propose something like this:

Code:
1    2    Q    S    F

4    v -> x
5    v -> x
v -> x         v -> x
6         2
          v -> x
                    v -> Champion
     4    v -> x
5    v -> x
v -> x         v -> x
6         2
          v -> x

Round 1 and 2 would be single-elimination games hosted by the higher seed, quarterfinals and semifinals would be home-and-home two-leg matches, and the final would be a single-elimination game played at a neutral site. I like this setup because it gives clear advantages to each finishing position within the conference, except 2nd and 3rd are treated essentially equally.

Sorry to take this thread further off topic.

I'd love to see this. Interesting that with City's ex Barca employees we might end up with some Spain/Former Barcelona players as initial DP's. I'd love to see Villa in attack then maybe Mix or Xavi and one more defensive player maybe from City. Then we can get one or two City youth players possibly on loan to supplement what we get in the college and supplemental drafts. Could be a decent team from day one.

The reason everyones excited is not about the rumour.. but the sources of the rumour

Reactions: Gene
The only valid reason for divisions in my opinion is to play an unbalanced schedule. If the unbalanced schedule ends at the conference level, they shouldn't be further divided. A lesser concern is that there are seven "Northeast" teams, meaning one of DC United or Toronto would have to be split from their more natural geographic rivals.

I've always been a fan of ladder-style playoffs, so I would propose something like this:

Code:
1    2    Q    S    F

4    v -> 1
5    v -> 4
v -> 5         v -> 1
6         2
          v -> 2
                    v -> Champion
     4    v -> 1
5    v -> 4
v -> 5         v -> 1
6         2
          v -> 2

Round 1 and 2 would be single-elimination games hosted by the higher seed, quarterfinals and semifinals would be home-and-home two-leg matches. And the final would be a single-elimination game played at a neutral site. I like this setup because it gives clear advantages to each finishing position within the conference, except 2nd and 3rd are treated essentially equally.

Sorry to take this thread further off topic.
It's too many playoff games. The league wouldn't go for it because you have to remember that the conference semi and final are over 2 legs - 4 matches. The reason for division of the conferences is to have that 3rd game between division opponents in the playoffs. The other way to look at it is that there will be a division winner, so 2 and 3 play in to then get two matches against 1st place in that division. Alas:
Division A
Playoffs:
Round 1
1st - bye to division final
2nd and 3rd - one match division semi.

Round 2 - Division Final
1st v. winner 2/3 - two legs

Round 3 - Conference Final - two legs
Winner Division A vs. Winner Division B
Winner Division C vs. Winner Division D

Round 4 - Cup Final - One Match
Winner A/B vs. Winner C/D

Hey guys.... My new piece regarding the potential arrival of David Villa to New York City FC.
An excerpt:

"Spanish radio station, Cadena COPE’s “El Partido de las 12” is reporting that Villa will be coming to MLS and New York City FC, claiming that Villa was planning on continuing to compete in Europe until he received a salary offer from NYCFC that was “so enormous” that he has decided to join the MLS expansion side."

More about Xavi coming in it too...

http://soccernewsday.com/usa/a/1844/what-david-villa-s-signing-could-mean-for-nycfc

Sharing/Retweets appreciated.

It's too many playoff games. The league wouldn't go for it because you have to remember that the conference semi and final are over 2 legs - 4 matches. The reason for division of the conferences is to have that 3rd game between division opponents in the playoffs. The other way to look at it is that there will be a division winner, so 2 and 3 play in to then get two matches against 1st place in that division.

It makes some sense, but it leaves open the possibility that #4 in Division A has more points than #3 in Division B and has played the exact same schedule, but is left out of the playoffs. Not a big fan of that.

Also, my setup has seven playoff "days", with games per round going 1-1-2-2-1, and 17 total playoff games. Your setup has six playoff "days," with games per round going 1-2-2-1, and also 17 total playoff games. Not a huge difference.

Even if there were more, playoff games are cash cows and there's no real reason to limit them.

Not believing this until NYCFC announces it themselves. Don't want to get excited for nothing

Who exactly are the Spanish officials? People from Atletico?

Supposedly reached out to sources from his team and his reps. Search twitter for David Villa, there are like 50+ stories now.

The latest news is that Villa will be signed this summer and then put on loan until January (https://twitter.com/razaespn). Assuming he will then come and do some appearances, etc until the season starts.

Some other info:

@NYCFCWatch BREAKING: When @DiMarzio reports it, you can take it to the bank. "David Villa will play in MLS for @NYCFC." http://gianlucadimarzio.com/en/calciomercato/atletico-madrids-david-villa-will-play-in-the-mls-with-new-york-city-fc/…

Kick Off: Portland Timbers starting to click, New York City FC linked with Spanish forward David Villa http://ift.tt/1rkdS8x

Ron Waxman‏@RonWaxman
According to my sources in Spain, #AtleticoMadrid striker David Villa is indeed coming to #NYCFC on a 3 year deal. #MLS

YourMCFC™ ‏@YourMCFC 3h
New York City FC have agreed a 3-year deal to sign David Villa. [via @DiMarzio] Villa's record is impressive: 279 goals in 538 games.

Reactions: NYCFC4LIFE
I am so damn excited for this anouncement! Despite his club team affiliations after Valencia, David Villa is beloved by most Spaniards. His will likely be the name on the back of my jersey.

Reactions: Scott McCarthy
Well ESPN FC just talked about it and said this is pushing the MLS in the right direction and will be one of the biggest signings in MLS in the past few years

Reactions: Scott McCarthy
Definitely getting his jersey. Speaking of that, this would be the perfect time to reveal the jerseys. They would sell like hotcakes.
They should release one jersey per DP announcement. Unfortunately all the stories leak on the interwebs. Imagine they announced the home and Villa walked out wearing it. It would be insane.

Great news for you guys... So does this mean Melbourne City will have him when our season starts this October on a guest stint until January?

Status
Not open for further replies.