DC United Postmatch

Here is lopez passing chart, 4 or 5 successful passes going forward. Everything else backwards or square. Not what you want out of a CAM.
To be fair to him when the person you pass the ball backwards to is Pirlo it would make sense to pass it back, also his position is RCM and not CAM. With the 4-3-3 formation we have used in the last 3 games there is no CAM.
When we have Villa, TMac, Shelton and Pirlo as well as the fullbacks, creating chances and scoring goals is not going to be a problem. However we need help defensively and with Mikey in the team it allows our fullbacks to get forward and he can cover for them if we lose the ball so we arnt as much at risk to counter attacks.
So far of all the midfield combinations we have used, this one has been by far the most effective and whilst we keep playing well and winning games i see no reason to change it.

Reactions: FootyLovin
View attachment 4865
Here is lopez passing chart, 4 or 5 successful passes going forward. Everything else backwards or square. Not what you want out of a CAM.
He's not a CAM - he's a DMid playing advanced. I absolutely hate the use of definitive position names - while most do describe in general terms the role of the player (CB marks the forward, striker tries to score goals, etc), they really just describe the placement on the field of the player and not necessarily the specific role. In Lopez's role, he really is a DMid playing in an advanced midfield position - this doesn't mean he is tasked with being creative in the offensive part of the field, rather he's tasked with defensive responsibilities of harassing the opposition in the offensive portion of the field as opposed to Bravo doing the same in the defensive portion. It's a big difference and a way of looking outside of the box - it's kind of like when PepG pushes everybody forward save the two CB's and let's those two quarterback the attack with probing passes - same position name that other teams use but the role is different.

I see what you are saying, I just don't see that as a valuable contribution if that is all he does. Doesnt pass to set anyone up, cant keep the ball on the dribble. Doesnt steal the ball from the other team, doesnt score. You dont play someone over a more talented option (and if you dont like mix, poku is better than him too) solely based on hustle with zero other contributions.

We agree that Mix and Poku are more talented. My argument is that Lopez is the only guy that can/will play the role that PV wants out of that position. Mix will never be able to play that position as PV wants. Poku has the ability/speed to do it, but hasn't show the ability to do it.

He's Sebastian Velazquez offensively. A total black hole with limited distribution skills. If we had a strong outlet there, we're more dynamic offensively. But defensively, he's the only guy that's willing to do what PV is asking it appears. I would bet his starting spot is more secure than Bravo, Brillant or Shelton at this point. He fills a very unique role for PV's system.

Do you agree that mix is very good defensively, but you are saying that Lopez does something he doesn't do?
We agree that Mix and Poku are more talented. My argument is that Lopez is the only guy that can/will play the role that PV wants out of that position. Mix will never be able to play that position as PV wants. Poku has the ability/speed to do it, but hasn't show the ability to do it.

He's Sebastian Velazquez offensively. A total black hole with limited distribution skills. If we had a strong outlet there, we're more dynamic offensively. But defensively, he's the only guy that's willing to do what PV is asking it appears. I would bet his starting spot is more secure than Bravo, Brillant or Shelton at this point. He fills a very unique role for PV's system.

Do you agree that mix is very good defensively, but you are saying that Lopez does something he doesn't do?
Mix plays a different style of defense that is based on reaction. Lopez is a wasp that harasses and forces the other player to make a decision before they're ready to - in the last two games we've seen other players make a ton of interceptions of these early passes because they aren't crisp or where the recipient expects them.

Mix on the other hand is better at fighting for a ball that a player has already received and either muscling him off it or tackling it away.

One defensive scheme is proactive and the other is reactive. Neither is necessarily better but one will be when meshed with the team's overall defensive tactics.

PV's system.

This is the only thing we need to try to understand. PV has a system, a style, and he wants to players to use it. It doesn't matter how attached the fan base is to a player. PV is going to come in and say do this my way, and If he doesn't see that player doing the job the way he wants it, they're out. In this case, its Mix. Mikey is just faster, and if he can break up plays without getting Yellows, he's better suited for what PV wants. often time when players are subbed, the game plan changes and its a plan better suited for the people on the field. When a plan works, he'll stick to it as long as possible. Even that depends on who we're playing.

Yes, I agree that Mix is very good defensively. Lopez is a completely different player who fits PV's system better is all. I would imagine that Mix is a like for like replacement with Pirlo in PV's eyes.

I will go a step further and argue that if PV was the manager last year, when both Mix Diskerud and Brek Shea were available, he would have went for Shea who could have played 1 of 3 positions for him most likely.

Why? Brek could play as a LW. He's a natural LW and he gets after it defensively.

Not saying I think Brek is a better player, but this isn't a fantasy team. All these pieces need to fit on the field together and right now, the roster constructions isn't ideal.

Why? Brek could play as a LW. He's a natural LW and he gets after it defensively.

Not saying I think Brek is a better player, but this isn't a fantasy team. All these pieces need to fit on the field together and right now, the roster constructions isn't ideal.
Because he's a dirty player and not that good?

Yes, I agree that Mix is very good defensively. Lopez is a completely different player who fits PV's system better is all. I would imagine that Mix is a like for like replacement with Pirlo in PV's eyes.

I will go a step further and argue that if PV was the manager last year, when both Mix Diskerud and Brek Shea were available, he would have went for Shea who could have played 1 of 3 positions for him most likely.
I see where you are coming from. I disagree with vieira though. I think he's the kind of coach that needs a few losses before he will change anything, despite clear indications he's wrong. Ala Lopez and saunders

Because he's a dirty player and not that good?

I would take Brek over Mix. He is a high quality player and versatile. You don't want your team to play dirty, but toughness is good. On a related topic, he would be #1 on our team in the WAG category where we are sorely lacking. I am not saying this to be funny or crude. We need confident guys on the team not puppy dogs, which is what Mix reminds me of most.

Mix is a puppy. Khiry is a puppy. Mikey is a puppy that bites.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Kjbert
If Bravo weren't one of us, wouldn't we say the same thing about him?

When they're ours, they're tough. When they're other's they're dirty.

I wonder how Fede Wop is doing in the WAG department? Probably fairly well. He is our Argentinian Matinee idol.

Reactions: Kjbert