DC United Postmatch

It's amazing what a 2 game win streak (should be 3) does to me... Finished the game last night, pumped my fists a few times (silently do as not to wake the 1yo) and then has a sunken feeling of, "shit, waiting 7 more days until we can beat down Portland kinda sucks." It was seriously a "who's next/on to the next one" attitude, and I'm ok with it because after last year, I don't want to get caught up in being excited over a single win (or 2) but instead have the team, and us, start expecting these results, because the last three games everything has started clicking.

I was "I am so pumped up by that win that I may actually use the backpack for work" happy this morning. It was fleeting, but that's how happy I was. The truth is that I may need to be "we just won the MLS Cup" happy to sport that thing in public.

I was "I am so pumped up by that win that I may actually use the backpack for work" happy this morning. It was fleeting, but that's how happy I was. The truth is that I may need to be "we just won the MLS Cup" happy to sport that thing in public.
Would a US Open Cup do the trick? How about a Supporters Shield?

Hey, I'll take either of the Leeds academy products :) I don't see him in the center but he could be incredible in MLS in wide positions. I don't know if he's really Mikey-like in his athleticism either though. Lennon is far slighter. I'm struggling to think of anybody who fits the "speedy tough tackling nugget with play making skills" mold though.
Lennon is a worthless bit of conjecture. He's on no ones list as being particularly valuable in any way. He's overpaid in England. English players playing in England are a financially wasteful proposition to MLS teams. They are overpaid, signed too long, and overhyped for their actual quality. In essence, they are the antithesis of building a good MLS squad.

Milner would be amazing here, however. But he's not feasible for anyone now. By he time he is, he'll have diminished enough that his most valuable traits aren't distinctive anymore. Ol K Kjbert is trying hard to make a case for his busted toffees. That ain't worth shit either.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paul
A Hudson Derby Sweep would be better than any cup. :cool:
That's a tough one... a Cup is hardware and a definite mark of success. Beating the crap out of RB would be equally sweet to shut their obnoxious fan base up. I exuberantly expect the club to accomplish both this year.

Reactions: Dreaming_NYC
Yeah, as a long-time Spurs fan, I think of Lennon more as mini-Shelton. Fast and athletic on the outside, but questionable final ball and finishing. However, his shortcomings would be far less pronounced in MLS than in the EPL since many of the fast wingers are mediocre in these respects.
Yes, I agree with your assessment of him being nothing more than our very own Walcott.

Lennon is a worthless bit of conjecture. He's on no ones list as being particularly valuable in any way. He's overpaid in England. English players playing in England are a financially wasteful proposition to MLS teams. They are overpaid, signed too long, and overhyped for their actual quality. In essence, they are the antithesis of building a good MLS squad.

Milner would be amazing here, however. But he's not feasible for anyone now. By he time he is, he'll have diminished enough that his most valuable traits aren't distinctive anymore. Ol K Kjbert is trying hard to make a case for his busted toffees. That ain't worth shit either.

Just saying the type of athletic player to target. Lennon had a fantastic year. Scored goals and played great defensively.

Just saying the type of athletic player to target. Lennon had a fantastic year. Scored goals and played great defensively.
Then he's bound for the bench at a top 4 aspirer. Homegrown player and all. I just don't think English players are something we should even target. They are so over-valued because of EPL money and the requirement for English players. It's only going to get worse with the FA remaining staunch on work permits and more tv money. MLS needs to improve quality while capturing value. I think he would be a mistake. Go to another league and snag someone with twice the talent at half the price.

The one argument against it is MLS most closely resembles EPL. But I think that's phasical. A mature MLS will be more South America meets Germany.

You think? I'd say more like the Championship. Or a blend of League 1 and the Championship.

Apologies for being thoroughly off topic now.
In top flight football, yes, I think so. But even EPL defenders don't compact the midfield so much. It tilts toward championship. But I've said it elsewhere, it's not possible to compare MLS to anything very well. There are UCL caliber players on teams with League 1 caliber players. How that plays out, I don't know. Guess it would prove how many piano movers and players you actually have to have.

Riddle me this, for instance. If MLS is so atrocious, how have unremarkable, undistinguished players from MLS gone on to be stalwarts of Championship level teams? And how does a guy who couldn't get a game in Norway continue to get time here in MLS? Who the fuck knows? It's a mess to even try to compare.

Last edited:
Anyone else see the camera cut to Mikey sniffing what appeared to be smelling salt packets just before kick off while PV was trying to give him instructions? I just imagined:

PV: Mikey don't get a yellow card, play under control
Mikey: Sure thing coach let me sniff these things so I can get really fired up. I call these packets my yellow card magic. What were you just saying? I forgot already.

That was calming lavender herb essence. It worked. He didn't do much all game. (Except run around like a disruptive mad man without getting carded.)

Last edited:
That was calming lavender herb essence. It worked. He didn't do much all game. (Except run around like a disruptive mad man without getting carded.)

I have come to the tentative conclusion that his only purpose on the field is to "run around like a disruptive mad man without getting carded" - basically to keep the other team from an effective counter by applying on ball pressure all over the field. He doesn't do much else, but that he does very well.

In top flight football, yes, I think so. But even EPL defenders don't compact the midfield so much. It tilts toward championship. But I've said it elsewhere, it's not possible to compare MLS to anything very well. There are UCL caliber players on teams with League 1 caliber players. How that plays out, I don't know. Guess it would prove how many piano movers and players you actually have to have.

Riddle me this, for instance. If MLS is so atrocious, how have unremarkable, undistinguished players from MLS gone on to be stalwarts of Championship level teams? And how does a guy who couldn't get a game in Norway continue to get time here in MLS? Who the fuck knows? It's a mess to even try to compare.
Just different styles of league play, not necessarily better or worse overall - hard to quantify apples and persimmons. But when the best from across the pond went against the best from this side at the WC, we know their "quality" wasn't definitively better by any stretch. In fact I think it was Milner that had his value plummet from being abused repeatedly by Cherundolo.

I have come to the tentative conclusion that his only purpose on the field is to "run around like a disruptive mad man without getting carded" - basically to keep the other team from an effective counter by applying on ball pressure all over the field. He doesn't do much else, but that he does very well.
I think we're onto it here. But it's just so unseemly.

We should reduce all of our possession stats by .5*TOBBSHL. That's "time on ball by Saunders, Hernandez & Lopez" and The multiplier represents the % of time their having the ball improves the other teams situation. That .5 could be overly generous to their effectiveness, actually.

I would suggest that if he was so good at "ball pressure" that it would show up in stats. In actuality he is good at losing the ball.

I would suggest that if he was so good at "ball pressure" that it would show up in stats. In actuality he is good at losing the ball.

What stat? You don't have to be the guy that causes the turnover. You can speed up the game for the other team, forcing other bad decisions that lead to positive results for your own squad.

What stat? You don't have to be the guy that causes the turnover. You can speed up the game for the other team, forcing other bad decisions that lead to positive results for your own squad.
I see what you are saying, I just don't see that as a valuable contribution if that is all he does. Doesnt pass to set anyone up, cant keep the ball on the dribble. Doesnt steal the ball from the other team, doesnt score. You dont play someone over a more talented option (and if you dont like mix, poku is better than him too) solely based on hustle with zero other contributions.

Reactions: Kjbert and Paul