DC United Postmatch

Thoughts on the bench and Portland:
- Anyone else notice that Mullins hasn't even been on the bench for the past three matches? I find that surprising given that Vieira is carrying both Mendoza and Taylor and I would have thought Vieira would at least want the optionality of Mullins.
I think PV has decided that Mullins can really only come in for Villa and displace him to LW. In that exchange he gets a more physical but not imposing CF while making the LW more gifted/creative. Downside is that LW is now tired and our left side defense takes a hit. It's not a huge uptick. OTOH, Mendoza in for TMac leaves your CF where he wants to be, infuses crazy speed to that side and wears out the opposition. With very little risk of Villa not being able to go 90, I think Mendoza (who could play CF in a pinch) and TT on the bench over Mullins makes a lot of sense. If we were playing a 4/4/2 it would be different.
I want Mix, but someone upthread mentioned Mehdi and I could see that happening. Has Mehdi made the 18 recently? I confess I often don't notice who's available until twitter starts complaining about someone or other not being there.
I'm almost inclined to say scrap the CDM and give Pirlo a rest. Go Mix/Poku/TMac and put TT back on the wing.
Pirlo resting seems almost a necessity for one of our three games next week. I can't decide if I prefer as little change as possible - only replacing Bravo - or total overhaul for rest purposes. If minor change - bring in Mix. If overhaul, I could see combining the above ideas and putting Mix/Poku/Mehdi in mid. Leave TMac up top where he's feeding us goals.

Coming off a sprained ankle, not surprised Allen had bad first touches. He looked like he was in pain while running and probably was gutting it out all game. Another few weeks of rehab between matches and he'll hopefully be back to normal.

Should he be in the starting XI if he's wincing and not controlling the ball?

Thoughts on the bench and Portland:

I think PV has decided that Mullins can really only come in for Villa and displace him to LW. In that exchange he gets a more physical but not imposing CF while making the LW more gifted/creative. Downside is that LW is now tired and our left side defense takes a hit. It's not a huge uptick. OTOH, Mendoza in for TMac leaves your CF where he wants to be, infuses crazy speed to that side and wears out the opposition. With very little risk of Villa not being able to go 90, I think Mendoza (who could play CF in a pinch) and TT on the bench over Mullins makes a lot of sense. If we were playing a 4/4/2 it would be different.
This is very well thought out. Good points.

Good thoughts.

I agree that the right move off the bench is Mendoza and to keep Villa. I'm just a bit surprised that he isn't keeping Mullins over Taylor since, I think, Taylor is somewhat duplicative (but less effective) than Mendoza, while Mullins could give a different look. It may come down to the fact that he thinks it is more likely than both TMac and Shelton need to be subbed than that he'd need the alternative like and/or sub Villa.

Anybody on 4 cards should take a yellow against Portland. I'd rather the starters miss Toronto than RB. I wanna take it to RB and make their already awful season even worse.

Anybody on 4 cards should take a yellow against Portland. I'd rather the starters miss Toronto than RB. I wanna take it to RB and make their already awful season even worse.

only mikey i think is at 4, and knowing how he may be the DM this coming game he may actually get that yellow.

I was shocked at how calm I felt with a 2-goal lead for the final 30 minutes. Back line really stepped up (literally and figuratively, with the offside trap on point).

I get why Mikey starts, and it seems to be working. Oftentimes, he was the highest-playing player after squandering possession, which is really important to break up any counters and allow for the other midfielders and wing backs time to get into a defensive position. We saw how badly we were burned vs. Columbus because of this, and I think PV has found his solution. A shame we have to give up a starting mid position, but at this point, it's all about winning, and it's good to have a coach who will sacrifice for the win.

I was shocked at how calm I felt with a 2-goal lead for the final 30 minutes. Back line really stepped up (literally and figuratively, with the offside trap on point).

I get why Mikey starts, and it seems to be working. Oftentimes, he was the highest-playing player after squandering possession, which is really important to break up any counters and allow for the other midfielders and wing backs time to get into a defensive position. We saw how badly we were burned vs. Columbus because of this, and I think PV has found his solution. A shame we have to give up a starting mid position, but at this point, it's all about winning, and it's good to have a coach who will sacrifice for the win.
I mentioned earlier that he's like a frenetic wasp on the field. Somebody pointed out his stats were pretty non-existent, but what if the role of the wasp isn't to make the play but rather to cause the play by forcing the quick pass?!? If that's his role, I don't think anybody else on the team is as wildly quick as he is, and who wants to hold the ball very long when yellow card Lopez is flying into the picture. Seriously, reduce the other team's thought process by a fraction of a second and stuff happens - it's like reaction time driving a car, half a second can make all of the difference.

Just watched the game today and it was nice to see us get another win.

I think we all are wondering why Lopez is selected over Mix, but it does seem to be working as we are not getting over run in midfield, like we were earlier in the season.

I thought we were sloppy in the first half, and brought pressure on us. They had a couple of chances, that had they scored could have meant an uphill struggle for us. Fortunately they didn't score and by scoring two within four minutes, you could visibly see the team get more confident. We had chances to increase that lead in the second half, whilst all they had was that free kick.

My MOTM was Villa. He led the line superbly and closed down all over the pitch.

Most other players had a solid game which meant there was less panic defensively.

I am not a Mikey Lopez fan, at all. But when you realize how PV is lining up and the role that Lopez is playing, there isn't a single other guy on the team that can do what Lopez is asked to do.

- Play underneath the striker
- Chase the game for 90 minutes
- Track back as a "box-to-box" midfielder
- Throw in a heavy tackle
- Press the opposing CBs

That's just not Diskerud's style. It's not Poku's style or Ballouchy's. Maybe McNamara could play there from a style perspective, but he lacks the speed to track back that way.

Again, I'm not defending Lopez's skill right now. But from the standpoint of what role he is filling, there is no one else on the roster who can play that role. Where he kills us is that link-up play with the Striker and other Forwards.

If I'm CFG and I'm looking for Lampard's replacement right now, I'm looking for a super athletic #8/#10 hybrid who can take Lopez's job. A guy like Aaron Lennon, but a Central Midfielder. Does that make sense?

I am not a Mikey Lopez fan, at all. But when you realize how PV is lining up and the role that Lopez is playing, there isn't a single other guy on the team that can do what Lopez is asked to do.

- Press the opposing CBs

That's just not Diskerud's style. It's not Poku's style or Ballouchy's. Maybe McNamara could play there from a style perspective, but he lacks the speed to track back that way.

Again, I'm not defending Lopez's skill right now. But from the standpoint of what role he is filling, there is no one else on the roster who can play that role. Where he kills us is that link-up play with the Striker and other Forwards.

If I'm CFG and I'm looking for Lampard's replacement right now, I'm looking for a super athletic #8/#10 hybrid who can take Lopez's job. A guy like Aaron Lennon, but a Central Midfielder. Does that make sense?
A James Milner? Different kind of athleticism perhaps. But he's a total pain in the ass for opposition players and is surprisingly useful with the ball. Also has Citeh priors.

- Press the opposing CBs

This makes a lot of sense. PV seems to be coming around to the idea that to win in the MLS you often need speed, athleticism and hustle more than skill. Mikey checks all those boxes and if PV can help him improve his soccer IQ he could be a decent MLS player.

A James Milner? Different kind of athleticism perhaps. But he's a total pain in the ass for opposition players and is surprisingly useful with the ball. Also has Citeh priors.

I'm a big Milner fan, but not James Milner. I'm thinking someone much quicker than him. Aaron Lennon is the type of profile I am thinking. I actually think a guy like Lennon is gettable with the new ownership and (hopefully) new manager at Everton.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
I'm a big Milner fan, but not James Milner. I'm thinking someone much quicker than him. Aaron Lennon is the type of profile I am thinking. I actually think a guy like Lennon is gettable with the new ownership and (hopefully) new manager at Everton.
Hey, I'll take either of the Leeds academy products :) I don't see him in the center but he could be incredible in MLS in wide positions. I don't know if he's really Mikey-like in his athleticism either though. Lennon is far slighter. I'm struggling to think of anybody who fits the "speedy tough tackling nugget with play making skills" mold though.

Hey, I'll take either of the Leeds academy products :) I don't see him in the center but he could be incredible in MLS in wide positions. I don't know if he's really Mikey-like in his athleticism either though. Lennon is far slighter. I'm struggling to think of anybody who fits the "speedy tough tackling nugget with play making skills" mold though.

Kante at Leicester City :)

Hey, I'll take either of the Leeds academy products :) I don't see him in the center but he could be incredible in MLS in wide positions. I don't know if he's really Mikey-like in his athleticism either though. Lennon is far slighter.
Yeah, as a long-time Spurs fan, I think of Lennon more as mini-Shelton. Fast and athletic on the outside, but questionable final ball and finishing. However, his shortcomings would be far less pronounced in MLS than in the EPL since many of the fast wingers are mediocre in these respects.

I was shocked at how calm I felt with a 2-goal lead for the final 30 minutes.
Glad you were bro. ;)

With getting 2 free kicks just inches outside the box, I must have said to my son a half dozen times how badly we needed #3, because the next time someone on DCU flopped anywhere near the area, they were getting a PK. I would have bet $$$ on it.