Directors Of Stadium Experience - Songs / Chants Etc

General question for the directors:

Has a decision been reached on drums/capos/style of songs? And if so, how were those decisions made?

Dan and I are not fans of drums and capos. Capos make the atmosphere to organized, and manufactured, rather than spur of the moment, reacting to what is going on. Somebody standing 90 minutes with your back to the action seems a ridiculous to me. I want to keep the atmosphere/songs/general style, an english one.

Numz, what do you think shall be done about away games: at rbny, philly, portland?

Portland would be a hell of a trek haha. But for me personally, I'll be wearing no colors (jersey, tee shirt, anything that would show my association with the club) like the casual scene in england. I'll work with our logistics people figure out how many tickets will be given to us, how to get there ect. But like a said before, Im open to suggestions, its just my game day.

Dan and I are not fans of drums and capos. Capos make the atmosphere to organized, and manufactured, rather than spur of the moment, reacting to what is going on. Somebody standing 90 minutes with your back to the action seems a ridiculous to me. I want to keep the atmosphere/songs/general style, an english one.
Not disagreeing, necessarily, but don't you think that a decision like that, which is based on subjective opinion, is better decided by the group as a whole rather than the beliefs of two?

Not disagreeing, necessarily, but don't you think that a decision like that, which is based on subjective opinion, is better decided by the group as a whole rather than the beliefs of two?

Its not a decision of two, many of the people I have talked to, mainly ex red bull fans, were turned off by the way they and other clubs went about supporting, Capos, full 90 singing, drums the whole 9 yards. My game day beliefs are shared by many, and thats the way I would like to steer things.

Reactions: Florent Gjonbalaj
Its not a decision of two, many of the people I have talked to, mainly ex red bull fans, were turned off by the way they and other clubs went about supporting, Capos, full 90 singing, drums the whole 9 yards. My game day beliefs are shared by many, and thats the way I would like to steer things.
Fair enough. That is why I asked, and your initial answer made it seem like it was solely Dan and you.

Would you be able to sum up exactly how you and these fans who share your beliefs envision the support? For example, you mentioned full 90 singing is something you are not a fan of: so what is the alternative? Only sing when you're winning?

Si
Fair enough. That is why I asked, and your initial answer made it seem like it was solely Dan and you.

Would you be able to sum up exactly how you and these fans who share your beliefs envision the support? For example, you mentioned full 90 singing is something you are not a fan of: so what is the alternative? Only sing when you're winning?
nf when its right.

You mis understand, when I say "full 90" singing, I mean song book, set times. "From minute 10-minute 14, we sing this, then minute 14-17 we sing this." You sing the right song at the right time.

Reactions: MyBoyVilla
You mis understand, when I say "full 90" singing, I mean song book, set times. "From minute 10-minute 14, we sing this, then minute 14-17 we sing this." You sing the right song at the right time.
Ah I see, again asking honest questions to understand.

My only supporter section experience has been at USMNT games with AO. I thought it was really a great experience and a great way to support the club. Did not think that the drums or the capos detracted, but then again it was a bigger supporters section than we would have, and more necessary to keep everyone on the same page.

Another thing I want to clarify, I know the idea is to go for the English atmosphere, but it is my understanding that a lot of the singing is directed at the away support, which is usually pretty significant. That will not be the case very often for us, so the cheeky chants won't really be relevant. So I guess what I am asking is what aspects of that English environment are we looking to bring to us, besides no capos and no drums.

General question for the directors:

Has a decision been reached on drums/capos/style of songs? And if so, how were those decisions made?

Simple answer is no decisions have been made as we are so far from playing a game right now that we would be going against our own views of 'not having such a manufactured experience' by making decisions on how, what and where we are going to sing.

Personally, right now I'm interested in rounding up support of those who are willin to make some noise on a game day before we figure out the plan of attack.

Hope to be meeting as many of you as possible in the near future, in person.

Simple answer is no decisions have been made as we are so far from playing a game right now that we would be going against our own views of 'not having such a manufactured experience' by making decisions on how, what and where we are going to sing.

Personally, right now I'm interested in rounding up support of those who are willin to make some noise on a game day before we figure out the plan of attack.

Hope to be meeting as many of you as possible in the near future, in person.
Can you expound a bit on what you consider a "manufactured experience" versus the one we want? Is it anything more than having spontaneous singing rather than a song book?

I think Numz may have partially answered this, but I am trying to get as good of an understanding of this as I can. I won't be able to attend every game, but I would love to come to quite a few, and definitely participate in the vocal support.

Being told what to sing (capos), and being told when to sing them.

We want to help create a unique supporters culture and encourage people to sing their own songs etc. Best case scenario is everyone feels comfortable to start songs and have a good time. That's what we all want isn't it? A stadium that is absolutely buzzing come game day!

and to keep things simple we really don't have all the answers right now. Over the course of the first couple board meetings and supporters meetings and listening to feedback, that is what will help us to develop a clear(er) game plan here

I have said this before, Dan and I's positions on the board are not as I guess the word would be "set" as the others, our position will grow with the other supporters, we need you guys.

I guess a better question MyBoyVilla MyBoyCity is, what do you want?
I want the supporters to be loud, singing in unison, supporting the team as best as we can. I don't want us to be like fans of other sports, cheering when something exciting happens, booing when we are losing. I want the game experience to be more than the final score, I want it to be fun and positive and loud no matter what, so we can go home after a 5-0 loss and still say we were glad we came.

I want the supporters to be loud, singing in unison, supporting the team as best as we can. I don't want us to be like fans of other sports, cheering when something exciting happens, booing when we are losing. I want the game experience to be more than the final score, I want it to be fun and positive and loud no matter what, so we can go home after a 5-0 loss and still say we were glad we came.

That's an ideal world there and if only it were as simple as that!

Unfortunately, football is full of differing opinions and views and we are all entitled to those. If we go and get leathered 3-0 by the Red Bulls opening day and you are there singing for city still fair play to you and I'll probably be there pint in hand alongside you. However, old tommy up in row 36 isn't as happy as we are and is booing the team off the pitch. He has also paid his money and is entitled to display his displeasure at what he has just witnessed. You and I aren't really ones to tell him any different.

This is what we are after though, positive, passionate people like yourself to get involved give us your input and energy into making our supporters section the loudest, vibrant and most intimidating (for the opposition) it can be!

Reactions: Samuel Youn
That's an ideal world there and if only it were as simple as that!

Unfortunately, football is full of differing opinions and views and we are all entitled to those. If we go and get leathered 3-0 by the Red Bulls opening day and you are there singing for city still fair play to you and I'll probably be there pint in hand alongside you. However, old tommy up in row 36 isn't as happy as we are and is booing the team off the pitch. He has also paid his money and is entitled to display his displeasure at what he has just witnessed. You and I aren't really ones to tell him any different.

This is what we are after though, positive, passionate people like yourself to get involved give us your input and energy into making our supporters section the loudest, vibrant and most intimidating (for the opposition) it can be!
We can't tell him any different, but I think we could make him feel different... If they see us still being excited and cheering the team on, no matter what the outcome, I think it could sway some people to join in and support.

Reactions: MrMartinezNYC