Directors Of Stadium Experience - Songs / Chants Etc

We can't tell him any different, but I think we could make him feel different... If they see us still being excited and cheering the team on, no matter what the outcome, I think it could sway some people to join in and support.

Completely agree pal - see my final paragraph of previous post

I want the supporters to be loud, singing in unison, supporting the team as best as we can. I don't want us to be like fans of other sports, cheering when something exciting happens, booing when we are losing. I want the game experience to be more than the final score, I want it to be fun and positive and loud no matter what, so we can go home after a 5-0 loss and still say we were glad we came.
Yeah. I'm with you man. What will happen is NYC FC games will turn into Yankee games. Some guy in a sound booth will play sound bites and all the casuals will will clap "Lets Go New York" ...

The spontaneous culture works in England because their clubs are pretty fucking old.

I get what the guys are saying about giving everyone's songs a chance...but let's think about that for a second. Can you picture @Section1Guy seriously trying to start singing that Les Mis song? Fuck no. People will look at him like a madman. But if 15-20 supporters already know the words they can all sing it on queue.

The English system works in England. The American system works here. I completely understand where you guys are coming from and I like the organic idea of it...but having a Laissez-Faire attitude may not be the best idea.

I know you guys probably think Capo's are lame....and they kinda are, but it's what the crowd wants. A ring-leader. Someone that has the energy that everyone else can feed off. Hockey uses the guy playing that fucking organ. Football uses cheerleaders. Baseball uses mascots. Soccer uses Capos.

I think both of you are excellent for the position. You have the drive and emotion. But you can't expect to be in a leadership role of Stadium Experience if you want everyone else to provide the foundation for the experience.

Reactions: MyBoyVilla
That's an ideal world there and if only it were as simple as that!

Unfortunately, football is full of differing opinions and views and we are all entitled to those. If we go and get leathered 3-0 by the Red Bulls opening day and you are there singing for city still fair play to you and I'll probably be there pint in hand alongside you. However, old tommy up in row 36 isn't as happy as we are and is booing the team off the pitch. He has also paid his money and is entitled to display his displeasure at what he has just witnessed. You and I aren't really ones to tell him any different.

This is what we are after though, positive, passionate people like yourself to get involved give us your input and energy into making our supporters section the loudest, vibrant and most intimidating (for the opposition) it can be!
I agree it is idealistic, and I hope we can attain as much of that atmosphere is possible.

My main point was that I don't care about drums or capos or planned chants or songbooks or anthems or short chants or long chants. I want whatever maximizes the atmosphere to truly make us New York's Loudest.

Reactions: einwindir
Yeah. I'm with you man. What will happen is NYC FC games will turn into Yankee games. Some guy in a sound booth will play siund bites and all the casuals will will clap "Lets Go New York" ...

The spontaneous culture works in England because their clubs are pretty fucking old.

I get was the guys are saying abou5 giving everyone's songs a chance...but let's think about that for a second. Can you picture @Section1Guy seriously trying to start singing that Les Mis song? Fuck no. People will look at him like a madman. But if 15-20 supporters already know the words they can all sing it on queue.

The English system works in England. The American system works here. I completely understand where you guys are coming from and I like the organic idea of it...but having a Laissez-Faire attitude may not be the best idea.

I know you guys probably think Capo's are lame....and they kinda are, but it's what the crowd wants. A ring-leader. Someone that has the energy that everyone else can feed off. Hockey uses the guy playing that fucking organ. Football uses cheerleaders. Baseball uses mascots. Soccer uses Capos.

I think both of you are excellent for the position. You have the drive and emotion. But you can't expect to be in a leadership role of Stadium Experience if you want everyone else to provide the foundation for the experience.

There'll be ringleaders for sure. Just that these ringleaders will be part of the support and actually watching the game. I plan on being a ringleader and I know Numz15 Numz15 does also. I hope there will be many more with us too who feel they are loud, comfortable and familiar enough to start off songs also

I really see these first three years at Yankee stadium as a learning curve. Our little horses trying to find their legs. We wont be Seattle or Portland at first, and its unrealistic to think otherwise. But once we get our own home, the songs, traditions, set by lawson lawson and I, and the other supporters will last decades. My goals are as follows....

1. Have a nucleus of supporters, who know the songs we have, and are familiar enough with how songs chants work, that they wont need Dan and I to start them.
2. Find out style and stick with it. Either we go the more American style or English style, or a comprable Hybrid.
3. I eventually want every supporter young and old singing the songs we set in place, and following the traditions of the club.

As of now these are just words on paper. With out you none of these will be possible. So I hope Dan and I answered you questions and calmed your concerns. We are just passionate football fans who want to make the best game day in the league.

I like what I am reading in this thread. Although I will put it out there that I think capos would be a valuable addition to our supporter's section. This doesn't mean the capos would have a setlist of songs and times to start them. I imagine them more as conductors, taking the song or chant started by whomever in he section and coordinating and encouraging it among the whole group. Remember, a capo would be a fellow supporter and would ostensibly have some directive from the group. If we don't want a setlist they won't have a setlist. I guess I think that we would be better coordination and it would be easier for supporters who are new to a soccer atmosphere to get involved with a focal point of coordination and encouragement. Not to mention that it would be easier for newbies to learn the words to any of our more lyrical songs or chants with a leader. If a capo as a conductor doesn't work as a metaphor maybe capo as facilitator is better.

My point is that capos have value and shouldn't be dismissed out of hand. I don't think it is a coincidence that the largest and loudest SGs have capos. We, as a group, would decide their responsibilities and powers. Regardless of whether we eventually have a capo I am pumped to sing and chant with everyone!

I agree C CornellBigRed .
Anything that keeps the energy alive in the supporters section, I will support. Capo is a dirty word to some, and I get that. I cringe when I see someone on a ladder with their backs to the game. But, if that is what is needed to keep structure, momentum at the onset while we let our roots grab hold, I'm all for that. Same goes for drums or whatever, let's not limit ourselves in terms of what we have at our disposal to create atmosphere. We could initially include many aspects of worldwide supporters sections and then gage what garners the most support. That melting pot mentality is the true spirit of New York and we have a chance to reflect that, rather than defining our style (English/American) a year in advance.
I believe there is enjoyment in us experimenting and tweaking a little in the beginning.
As someone said earlier, as long as there aren't long lulls in our support, because believe me, the Yankee Stadium sound system will take it upon itself to be a Capo.

I personally don't think the model partially established by the Timbers Army should be seen as a bad thing. By all accounts they have developed a die hard, fanatical, engaged, and a uniquely American experience.

Yankee Stadium is huge. Filling that stadium with PA-less sound might be a tall order without the aid of a more directed experience.

We can debate the pro's and cons of capos all day and its all good stuff.

Ive never been to a stadium where capos have been in place and the atmosphere has always been electric. Elland Road, Wembley, Loftus Road, St Marys to name a few. On the other hand I have been to RBA where the capos there have been threatened, booed and had things thrown at them by their own fans. Not nice scenes at all.

I also understand where you guys are coming from - there are many cases of capos doing a great job and contributing to a great atmosphere here in MLS. At this point however, we are leaning to not using them. And please hear me out as I have said so many, many times - this is not a foregone conclusion. If the atmosphere is shit and the general consensus is that they are necessary - we get them in, no problem. At this point though, and with the positivity and vocal support already demonstrated by our fan group I really don't see the need for them (again, emphasis on "at this point").

You only need to look at the bar crawl a few weeks back - a group of 50 guys who had never met each other before chanting loudly all across NYC! I get that its not the same as a couple hundred fans inside a sport stadium, but it is definitely an encouraging start. New songs were made and have stuck, generic ones were sung and it was all stuff that bodes well for the season and inside Yankee stadium. There wan't anyone with their back to the bar directing and conducting us all that night :)

Reactions: NYCBlue and DiRoma
I personally don't think the model partially established by the Timbers Army should be seen as a bad thing. By all accounts they have developed a die hard, fanatical, engaged, and a uniquely American experience.

Yankee Stadium is huge. Filling that stadium with PA-less sound might be a tall order without the aid of a more directed experience.

Your right Yankee stadium can hold a lot of fans. NYCFC will not be filling it right away but if you hear the lungs on some of these guys... They make my volume sound low! I feel we will not have a problem being heard!

I really want us to be able to sing with out the "crutch" of a capo. If we can get enough people familiar with the songs we have, and the songs we will have. If we can get this philosophy in place before the first game, I think it will be benefit to the SG in the long run.

Just doing my duty in voicing my opinion.

I don't like drums and I don't like capo's. (personally drums banging throughout a game will give me headache). I like the organic experience of bursting into song/chant as a group. There is no need for someone direct the section on when to get passionate or not/what song to sing. We just go and the songs themselves will come into existence and evolve over time. All it takes is one catchy tune to get the whole section on board.

Personally I have always found it cheesy at any US sporting event for the PA announcer to start chanting (DEFENSE) or whatever else I hear and see on TV. I have no experience in any of this myself but I have always admired European stadiums where fans would be singing without a capo, drums or PA assistance.

The only benefit I see in drums/capo's is that it may help casual fans get involved with the songs and chants. But I also think that if we stay persistent with our singing/chanting the rest of the fans will get the idea sooner than later.

Just doing my duty in voicing my opinion.

I don't like drums and I don't like capo's. (personally drums banging throughout a game will give me headache). I like the organic experience of bursting into song/chant as a group. There is no need for someone direct the section on when to get passionate or not/what song to sing. We just go and the songs themselves will come into existence and evolve over time. All it takes is one catchy tune to get the whole section on board.

Personally I have always found it cheesy at any US sporting event for the PA announcer to start chanting (DEFENSE) or whatever else I hear and see on TV. I have no experience in any of this myself but I have always admired European stadiums where fans would be singing without a capo, drums or PA assistance.

The only benefit I see in drums/capo's is that it may help casual fans get involved with the songs and chants. But I also think that if we stay persistent with our singing/chanting the rest of the fans will get the idea sooner than later.
Plenty of European stadiums use capos. Particularly the German and Italian stadiums. Obviously, that isn't the case in England. Then consider South America where drums and horns are ubiquitous. Their crowds are probably the most raucous in the world. There is no right way or wrong way to be loud and supportive. We have to create our own culture but I would imagine it will end up being a mix of all three since NYC has people from all over the world. I don't think we would have a dictator capo or a large band of off-beat drummers. Perhaps a facilitator capo or a (relatively) sober dude to keep a beat on a drum. I don't know, but I like what I hear from Lawson and Nums. We should be open to the possibility that the experience could be enhanced without ruling out options completely. The section might be raucous without any facilitation and that would be fantastic. Or it might have significant lulls between songs/chants, or be consistently off-beat and out of sync. We won't know either way after one game but I am certain that however it turns out we will be able to react appropriately.

Has anyone mentioned "Bridge Over Troubled Water" as an intro song? Think it could be our "you'll never walk alone". Great NYC artists and lyrics really sing to when the team is down we will still be there supporting them. Just a thought. Also would be an easy one to get the whole crowd to sing if done right.

Otherwise, love the idea of an English style of supporters section.

Has anyone mentioned "Bridge Over Troubled Water" as an intro song? Think it could be our "you'll never walk alone". Great NYC artists and lyrics really sing to when the team is down we will still be there supporting them. Just a thought. Also would be an easy one to get the whole crowd to sing if done right.

Otherwise, love the idea of an English style of supporters section.

Great Idea.. this part would be great:

Sail on Silver Girl,
Sail on by
Your time has come to shine
All your dreams are on their way
See how they shine
If you need a friend
I'm sailing right behind
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will ease your mind
I will ease your mind

Yeah, probably don't wanna do the whole song. But maybe two verses.
"When you're weary, feeling small
When tears are in your eyes,
I will dry them all
I'm on your side
When times get rough
And friends just can't be found

I will lay me down
I will lay me down

When you're down and out
When you're on the street
When evening falls so hard
I will comfort you
I'll take your part
When darkness comes
And pain is all around

I will lay me down
I will lay me down"

Not sure if it'd be corny, but could get stadium to play over the PA as the players come out and SG get the whole crowd to sing along. Put a picture of NYC/bridges of NYC on the jumbo. At least that's how I'd envision it.

Please let's not make this a typical American experience. I'm more a Serie A fan than Premier League, but I think both styles work. I don't want to hear organs or music being played during the game. I believe because we have a large South American population in NY as well as many Europeans we can easily integrate a more European/South American atmosphere.

I believe we might need a Capos to begin, otherwise everything will be a bit disorganized in the first few years. It will be especially difficult for all the newbies used to watching American sports and doing the typical robotic chants of De-Fence and Let's go...