Domènec Torrent Appointed NYCFC Head Coach (June '18) / Mutually Agree to Part Ways (November '19)

What Are Your Thoughts on Torrent as NYCFC Head Coach?

• Quite Really Pleased

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • Really Pleased

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • Pleased

Votes: 16 41.0%
  • Neither Pleased or Displeased

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Displeased

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Really Displeased

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Quite Really Displeased

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
I didn't realize this, but Claudio and van Bronkhorst played at Rangers together and Gio Reyna is named after him. They are incredibly close friends.

Woah, really?

Well I predict they'll do something that makes the least amount of sense, like wait until February to name Gio as the next coach, leading us all to think they're going to pull a big shakeup and then leave us wondering why they didn't make the obvious move way sooner. We lose in the first round of the CCL to Olimpia.

or GvB is Gio Reyna's REAL FATHER!?!? *cue shocking moment sound fx*

giphy.gif

Maybe Orlando was asking about him? Or even Inter Miami? Is Chicago going to hire a new manager?

Also, how does a front office with this many red flags still manage to win the East without overspending? I'm so confused all the time. The cognitive dissonance gives me a headache.

Miami is an interesting possibility although they have been heavily linked to Santiago Solari. If the rumors of them signing David Silva are true maybe Dome re-unites with him there. If that's the team he's looking at it would explain his gripes about our FO being unwilling to spend.

There's just something about being a big club. Big clubs don't let their managers walk. They are either retained or fired. Vieira walked. Dome is going to walk. That's not a good sign for stability long term.

There's just something about being a big club. Big clubs don't let their managers walk. They are either retained or fired. Vieira walked. Dome is going to walk. That's not a good sign for stability long term.
It's a convenient part-time gig for whatever the self-serving reasons are. Resume building, jazz clubs, etc.

Atlanta won a title and their manager walked. Galaxy won a title and their manager walked. RedBulls won Supporters Shield and the manager walked.

It’s mls. Not us.

Well I have to admit that I was sceptical when I started hearing the rumours so I clearly don't have a clue what I'm talking about.

I find myself wondering what has motivated this. I had heard stories that Girona were planning to sack their manager and wanted him to come to them, which may have turned his head (he was born as far away from Girona as Yonkers is from the Statue of Liberty and he's managed them before) but they still haven't done it yet and Girona have won a couple of games now, so it's feeling less likely.

I can't see why he would resign from NYCFC and just take another MLS job - it would make sense if there had been rumours that he had been falling out with CFG but I've not heard any such stories (maybe I missed something, you all know I've not been so active on the forums, but I don't think I did - I was still following the news). It almost feels more like he just got tired of coaching but I really am confused.

I'm still not 100% convinced that it will be van Bronkhorst next, but I will concede it's a lot more likely now than I thought a few weeks ago.

Atlanta won a title and their manager walked. Galaxy won a title and their manager walked. RedBulls won Supporters Shield and the manager walked.

It’s mls. Not us.
Atlanta won a title and their manager walked at the end of his 2-year contract for the best NT job in CONCACAF.
Galaxy won 2 titles with Bruce Arena who walked due to an emergency request from the USMNT.
RedBulls won Supporters Shield and the manager walked at the request of management for an internal promotion.

NYCFC has won nothing and Vieira left midseason and Torrent potentially leaves with a year left on his contract for TBD.

I mean, you're kind of right but kind of not.

Maybe Orlando was asking about him? Or even Inter Miami? Is Chicago going to hire a new manager?

Also, how does a front office with this many red flags still manage to win the East without overspending? I'm so confused all the time. The cognitive dissonance gives me a headache.
Miami is the only one that remotely sounds plausible, and that's because of the odd fascination that Europeans have for that city and not because of anything that suggests Dome would like it there. He's not getting the culture there that he has openly said he loves in NYC.

I didn't realize this, but Claudio and van Bronkhorst played at Rangers together and Gio Reyna is named after him. They are incredibly close friends.
This again makes me wonder if there is some issue between Dome and Claudio. I haven't seen anything directly on point - this is just reading the circumstances.

Of importance is that Dome said (among other things) it is up to CFG whether he comes back - he would go to Manchester and discuss. That could mean that maybe CFG is not going to keep him. More likely it means that he doesn't want to come back unless CFG changes something that he doesn't like. (Or, it might not mean anything - this being Dome.) We have seen a lot of his complaints, some of which involve player acquisition, but none of which directly involve Claudio.

Then, we got the report from Taylor Twellman and ESPN that Claudio might not return to NYCFC - but, if Claudio does return, then Gio Van Brockhorst would be the coach.

Why would Gio being the coach be dependent on Claudio returning? Perhaps because if Claudio doesn't return, the job of managing NYCFC wouldn't be open - because in that case Dome would be coming back.

This is conjecture, but it's one way to fit the pieces together.

Atlanta won a title and their manager walked at the end of his 2-year contract for the best NT job in CONCACAF.
Galaxy won 2 titles with Bruce Arena who walked due to an emergency request from the USMNT.
RedBulls won Supporters Shield and the manager walked at the request of management for an internal promotion.

NYCFC has won nothing and Vieira left midseason and Torrent potentially leaves with a year left on his contract for TBD.

I mean, you're kind of right but kind of not.
No, he's right. MLS is a feeder league for bigger jobs, and that's just as true for managers who have done well as it is for players who have done well.

Reactions: Kjbert

Crooks says there were multiple stories during the season that had him anticipating that Torrent would leave.
None of which were reported as such at the time.
When the only full time paid reporter covering the team is a sort of de facto club employee dependent on the team for his radio gig and access....

doesn't seem like anything is OFFICIAL yet. still just a bunch of sources. sure, it seems pretty likely Dome is leaving, but I'll wait to hear it from the horse's mouth. hopefully he has enough respect for supporters and the team to hold a press conf or something to say goodbye.