Don Garber's State Of The League - Discussion Thread

The point about Univision is their main US headquarters is located in Miami. He went on to stress how huge Univision is to MLS, because they're an important link and they unite the league to the huge Hispanic population in the US.

Thus putting/getting a team in Miami is throwing the network a huge bone to keep them happy and interested in MLS. That was my take anyway.

I'd change that slightly. Univision is in Miami because of the large Hispanic population there; putting an MLS team is an attempt to more greatly tap into the Hispanic market, which helps Univision particularly (and thus MLS can ask more from Univision next go round)

Lost my reception..if someone can periodically update that would be awesome.

Sounds like the Bx stadium deal has been axed though. That's good for some of us!
I didnt get that impression regarding the BX location, he mentioned that the first site fell through which was in fllushing, unless I missed something there was no mention of the bronx

Reactions: Kjbert
I'd change that slightly. Univision is in Miami because of the large Hispanic population there; putting an MLS team is an attempt to more greatly tap into the Hispanic market, which helps Univision particularly (and thus MLS can ask more from Univision next go round)
Putting an MLS team in Miami is an attempt penetrate the 8th largest media market in the country, When MLS gets Miami and Atlanta comes on board they will have the top 10. Miami is a relevant city for more reasons then its hispanic population. There are 10 cities with more hispanics that Miami including NY, LA, Hou, SD, San Antonio, etc

A team in Miami would get a lot of media coverage from Univision which will give MLS even more of a presence on TV in the Hispanic community.
But thats the thing, Univision has presence in markets that already have an MLS team, ( LA, NY, houston, Dallas as examples) I can only speak about NY/NJ affiliate and they sure as hell dont talk/ show much about the Red Bulls, though maybe that may change with NYCFC and David Villa. They probably just move things to Unimas as they do now with MLS games.

I wasnt old enough to know exactly with detail on Miami Fusion, so i dont know how much they promoted/ showed the Fusion back in the day. Can it help sure, but in my opinion should not be the major factor in putting the team there hoping the tv company would pick it up. Again, it just depends if Univision feels interested or not.

Reactions: CP_Scouse
I didnt get that impression regarding the BX location, he mentioned that the first site fell through which was in fllushing, unless I missed something there was no mention of the bronx
Flushing was associated with the Cosmos/Wilpon push into MLS. That site has been dead for years. It's possible that's what he was referring to, but in the context of the conversation I don't believe this to be the case.

Flushing was associated with the Cosmos/Wilpon push into MLS. That site has been dead for years. It's possible that's what he was referring to, but in the context of the conversation I don't believe this to be the case.

Flushing was also vetoed by the Mets because of the Yankee connection, if what I read can be believed.

Flushing was also vetoed by the Mets because of the Yankee connection, if what I read can be believed.
I don't even think it got that far after the CFG relationship began. Though it's harder to find reliable info on that particular time-frame.

Clarified at the end its more like 11,000 sold even Garber didn't seem to know where he came up with 20,000. Anyway there's 3 months to try and get closer to that total. If there's anywhere with a "think big" mentality its New York and the only purpose of targets is they are there to be aimed at. Only comment on stadium issue followed a question on Miami requirements and the belief NYCFC initially had a site.

Miami noted as the "gateway to Latin America" though not sure how Beckham relates to hispanics. I do know a little about hispanic audiences and targets at least as far as WWE are concerned.

Didn't Garber say that he had no idea what is going on in Miami? Isn't the commissioner supposed to know whats going on in one of the expansion cities?

Miami is being targeted by the same types of ultra-wealthy that build in Dubai and such. There are a ton of construction plans underway for Miami. Its already one of the largest cities in America but its importance will skyrocket over the next few decades.

Didn't Garber say that he had no idea what is going on in Miami? Isn't the commissioner supposed to know whats going on in one of the expansion cities?
I think he was referring to the political atmosphere surrounding the stadium location.

Miami noted as the "gateway to Latin America" though not sure how Beckham relates to hispanics. I do know a little about hispanic audiences and targets at least as far as WWE are concerned.

Beckham played for Real Madrid for four years. He speaks Spanish as a second language.

Also a note from the Garber look at how important I am expose, he vomited shit from his mouth saying the league wasn't as strong financially as they wanted to be. Basically playing tough with the players union. You can't honestly say the league is in tough financial situation. They just signed a contract that tripled their annual TV revenue. I know some drone from the league said at some point the league loses $100 mil a year. That's crap it's not losing $100 million it's investing it into the infrastructure of the league. That's like saying if I invest $10,000 in stocks I lost $10,000 this year...

Reactions: Kjbert and Z4CH3B99
It's going into CBA discussions, OF COURSE he'll cry wolf and say their broke.

Also a note from the Garber look at how important I am expose, he vomited shit from his mouth saying the league wasn't as strong financially as they wanted to be. Basically playing tough with the players union. You can't honestly say the league is in tough financial situation. They just signed a contract that tripled their annual TV revenue. I know some drone from the league said at some point the league loses $100 mil a year. That's crap it's not losing $100 million it's investing it into the infrastructure of the league. That's like saying if I invest $10,000 in stocks I lost $10,000 this year...
Its not complete bullshit, most MLS teams aren't making a profit and expansion fees are a one time injection.

As has been noted, 100M spread across the 20 teams isn't a bad loss considering the amount of long-term investment being put into academies and such. Add to that that you have to imagine that NYCFC and Orlando could be a huge part of that loss, I'd say that number isn't too bad.

Its not complete bullshit, most MLS teams aren't making a profit and expansion fees are a one time injection.

They're not making a profit because they don't want to turn a profit. It's common business practice to delay profit. Especially in the states where the capital gains tax is low 15% compared to the flow through taxes the owners will pay on yearly income which for high income individuals is north of 40%.

Also the $100 million isn't a one time injection they also have to pay a capital call of somewhere in the neighborhood of $1- 2 million a year to the league to subsidize operating expenses.