Expansion Rumors Megathread

Reactions: Kjbert
Player/owner??? That'll go over well when the coach wants to sub him off.

That's fine. He can just appoint himself as manager too...

Would be hilarious if MLS somehow failed to amend their rules and Donovan failed to acquire himself through the expansion/allocation draft...

I think MLS should introduce Divisons once it reaches 28 teams.

So i'd split it into 2 conferences, further split into 2 divisions

Teams in Blue would be my expansion teams.

WESTERN CONFERENCE

Pacific Division

1/Vancouver Whitecaps
2/Seattle Sounders
3/Portland Timbers
4/San Jose Earthquakes
5/Los Angeles Galaxy
6/Los Angeles FC
7/Sacramento Republic

Central Division

1/RSL
2/Colorado Rapids
3/Sporting Kansas City
4/Minnesota Utd FC
5/Chicago Fire
6/Columbus Crew
7/St Louis

EASTERN CONFERENCE

North Division

1/Montreal Impact
2/Toronto FC
3/New England Revolution
4/New York City FC
5/New Jersey Red Bulls
6/Philadelphia Union
7/DC United

South Division

1/Houston Dynamo
2/FC Dallas
3/Orlando City
4/Atlanta Utd FC
5/Miami
6/Carolina
7/San Antonio

As for the Schedule:

I would have everyone play each other in their conference home and away .

Then everyone plays each other in each division once more.

For 28 teams = 26 games + 6 games = 32 game season

Post Season Schedule :

1 v 4 /2 v 3 in each divsion - Single game

Winners advance to Division final - Home & Away

Winners of each division advances to Conference Final - Home & Away

Winner of Conference Final to play MLS Cup - Single Game

Last edited:

WESTERN CONFERENCE

Pacific Division

1/Vancouver Whitecaps
2/Seattle Sounders
3/Portland Timbers
4/San Jose Earthquakes
5/Los Angeles Galaxy
6/Los Angeles FC
7/Sacramento Republic

Central Division

1/RSL
2/Colorado Rapids
3/Sporting Kansas City
4/Minnesota Utd FC
5/Chicago Fire
6/Columbus Crew
7/St Louis

EASTERN CONFERENCE

North Division

1/Montreal Impact
2/Toronto FC
3/New England Revolution
4/New York City FC
5/New Jersey Red Bulls
6/Philadelphia Union
7/DC United

South Division

1/Houston Dynamo
2/FC Dallas
3/Orlando City
4/Atlanta Utd FC
5/Miami
6/Carolina
7/San Antonio

As for the Schedule:

Post Season Schedule :

I like. Replace San Antonio with Nashville and we are cool.

I like. Replace San Antonio with Nashville and we are cool.

Thanks.

Possible Expansion to 32 teams i'd include :

West Pacific - San Diego/Las Vegas/Phoenix

West Central - Cinnicinati/Indinapolis

East South - Nashville

East North - NYC 2. Red Bulls become New Jersey Team

WESTERN CONFERENCE

Pacific Division

1/Vancouver Whitecaps
2/Seattle Sounders
3/Portland Timbers
4/San Jose Earthquakes
5/Los Angeles Galaxy
6/Los Angeles FC
7/Sacramento Republic

Central Division

1/RSL
2/Colorado Rapids
3/Sporting Kansas City
4/Minnesota Utd FC
5/Chicago Fire
6/Columbus Crew
7/St Louis

EASTERN CONFERENCE

North Division

1/Montreal Impact
2/Toronto FC
3/New England Revolution
4/New York City FC
5/New Jersey Red Bulls
6/Philadelphia Union
7/DC United

South Division

1/Houston Dynamo
2/FC Dallas
3/Orlando City
4/Atlanta Utd FC
5/Miami
6/Carolina
7/San Antonio

As for the Schedule:

Post Season Schedule :

I don't think MLS will abandon an everyone-plays-everyone schedule unless and until they grow so big it isn't feasible. They won't give up those four LA v NY games per year, for example.

Expansion Priority
1. San Diego
2. St. Louis
3. Sacramento
4. One of: Tampa/Miami
5. One of: Phoenix/San Antonio
6/7. Two of: Detroit/Cincinnati/Nashville/Charlotte/Indianapolis

If any of the top three fail, select additional teams from the lower groupings.

I think they'll get to 28 by 2022, and will slow growth down, but won't stop. Approve two more relatively soon to grab the two "best of the rest" bids that should have been allowed in right away. A 30-team MLS:

Western Conference
Northwest:
Vancouver, Seattle, Portland, Real Salt Lake, Colorado
Pacific: Sacramento, San Jose, Los Angeles, LA Galaxy, San Diego
Southwest: Dallas, Houston, St. Louis, Kansas City, Phoenix/San Antonio

Eastern Conference
Northeast:
Minnesota, Chicago, Detroit, Toronto, Montreal
Atlantic: New England, New York City, New York Red Bulls, Philadelphia, DC United
Southeast: Columbus, Atlanta, Orlando, Tampa/Miami, Cincinnati/Nashville/Charlotte

Everyone plays everyone once (29 games), each team plays their own division a second time (4 games), and each team plays one additional rivalry game per year (1 game) for a 34-game season.

The top eight teams from each conference qualify for the postseason, regardless of division. Divisions are for scheduling purposes only.

With Landon onboard the San Diego effort and with San Diego losing the Chargers and with San Diego being San Diego (literally one of the most amazing places I've ever set foot in), I think we go ahead revise any predictions that don't include them in the next addition.

With Landon onboard the San Diego effort and with San Diego losing the Chargers and with San Diego being San Diego (literally one of the most amazing places I've ever set foot in), I think we go ahead revise any predictions that don't include them in the next addition.
If/When San Diego get their team, Beckham should really just run head-first into the room's wall. He's wasted so much time/effort on Miami, which may never happen, and he could have landed in either Vegas (the marketing possibilities are endless) or SD (granted, SD may not have been as attractive to the local govt/population before the Chargers 86'd their stay), or any number of other cities (StLouis)... but Beckham was all about the glitz of South Beach.... he's going to come up empty handed.

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
Still a bunch of politicking involved which could derail SD. I thought they were a shoe-in when they announced on the ship with Donny Soccer in attendance, but they still need to get the signature drive completed. It also appears as though SDSU has the clout and influence to basically derail the whole thing if the soccer group does not gift the university enough land/money/development rights. It looks like the FS group and SDSU are not on the same page yet, which is troubling if your a big fan of San Diego MLS.

With the likelihood of the Raiders moving to Las Vegas, this has an impact on at least three expansion proposals.
1. San Diego: Their was a contingent of the media and public, and even another influential investor, in SD that were negative on the MLS proposal because they were holding onto hopes of bringing the NFL back, that hope was based largely on the Raiders moving to San Diego. With that hope shattered, the NFL is not likely to disrupt the MLS stadium proposal.

2. Las Vegas: Obviously, with a new very expensive tax-payer funded stadium, there will be serious interest from investors and public officials to bring MLS along. The league has already done research on the market, as they had a stadium proposal and investment group pretty far along in the process a couple years ago. The mayor was deeply in favor of that proposal, but the stadium required public funding/land grants and ultimately did not have the political support for that. Another investor prior to that also had interest, but was shut out at the time by this other proposal. Of course, rumors surrounding the potential involvement of Beckham are also floating around.

3. Miami: As noted above, David Beckham has ties that could bring his MLS interests to Las Vegas, leaving a vacuum in Miami. Nobody knows the details of Beckham's contract situation, but it has been speculated that he is stuck with Miami if he wants his discount. Perhaps that's not the case, perhaps he doesn't care and is willing to leave Miami and his discount behind for the path of least resistence in LV. Bottom line is that it appears is that he continues to struggle with Miami, and local officials have recently said that they have not heard anything from his group in months. Perhaps he has been stringing along Miami with the expectation of moving along to LV? Who knows.

Basically, San Diego and Las Vegas MLS were obviously boosted by today's news, while Miami's odds were reduced. While I don't think this will ultimately have an impact on any of the cities (SD is getting in anyway, LV will not, and they will eventually get Miami figured out) but when you look at all the factors, the odds were changed today.