Expansion Rumors Megathread

100% agree with you. Maybe it also gets Liga Mx & the MLS to form their own cup competition outside of the CCL (which could invite other leagues) that makes the most sense for the 2 major NA leagues schedule wise and economically (TV revenue).
There have been rumors in the last couple days that would indicate they are going to do exactly that.
I'm not sure if anyone remembers the SuperLiga, but that tournament produced some very intense matches in it's first couple years before it got watered down. The CCL has such an awful structure that it is so unappealing.

Reactions: adam
There have been rumors in the last couple days that would indicate they are going to do exactly that.
I'm not sure if anyone remembers the SuperLiga, but that tournament produced some very intense matches in it's first couple years before it got watered down. The CCL has such an awful structure that it is so unappealing.

CCL got a nice reshuffle, but sucks that it's just a knockout tournament now, and only over the course of like 2-3 months in the early spring. I'm still iffy on whether I want two separate international competitions. One great one would be best.

CCL got a nice reshuffle, but sucks that it's just a knockout tournament now, and only over the course of like 2-3 months in the early spring. I'm still iffy on whether I want two separate international competitions. One great one would be best.
No one bats an eye when Bulgarian champs have to play Finnish champs in the middle of the summer. If CCL isn't onboard, just replace with a tournament that USSF/MLS/AMF/LMX control. Let some other leagues vie for a chance to be cannon fodder, sign a tv deal, and kick off the fucking ball. Time to get Darwinian.

No one bats an eye when Bulgarian champs have to play Finnish champs in the middle of the summer. If CCL isn't onboard, just replace with a tournament that USSF/MLS/AMF/LMX control. Let some other leagues vie for a chance to be cannon fodder, sign a tv deal, and kick off the fucking ball. Time to get Darwinian.

Pull out of CCL altogether? What about the Club World Cup?

I don't mind the new CCL setup, I just wish the Champions League portion was group stage in the spring and knockouts in the fall, rather than just a 16-team spring knockout. You could still run the special Central American + Caribbean qualifying tournament underneath the Champions League knockout stage in the fall.

I guess if the second MLS-MX competition is in the fall and involves 8+ teams from both leagues, we really overload the schedule with good international competition. I could potentially see it working well, but still getting trophy overload.

Last edited:
Pull out of CCL altogether? What about the Club World Cup?

I don't mind the new CCL setup, I just wish the Champions League portion was group stage in the spring and knockouts in the fall, rather than just a 16-team spring knockout. You could still run the special Central American + Caribbean qualifying tournament underneath the Champions League knockout stage in the fall.

I guess if the second MLS-MX competition is in the fall and involves 8+ teams from both leagues, we really overload the schedule with good international competition. I could potentially see it working well, but still getting trophy overload.

If the MLS and Liga MX pull out completely from CCL, it dies a quick death. Then FIFA can sanction the new tourney as long as the minnow leagues are tossed an invite bone to compete under the big boys' terms.

Reactions: Midas Mulligan
If the MLS and Liga MX pull out completely from CCL, it dies a quick death. Then FIFA can sanction the new tourney as long as the minnow leagues are tossed an invite bone to compete under the big boys' terms.

I'm not sure the politics will work out easily on that one, but it's definitely something to watch. The international competition(s) will continue to evolve as MLS grows.

Back to expansion talk. I would 100% go after san diego and St louis after the NFL left. after that you must add nashville!!!

Not sure how good he was last season, but Parkhurst was a stud, definitely the kind of guy who can anchor a club.

Didn't he lose his starting spot in Columbus last year?

I thought he was penciled into Atlanta's lineup but has competition.

He's an MLS vet with European and significant national team experience. And apparently, he's an all-around good guy. Not a bad choice, imo.

Reactions: Paul
Extremely tangential, but what's stopping the PDL and NPSL from merging into a super-duper-league for amateur squads?

I could definitely see a mature US soccer landscape like this:

Professional:
D1: MLS ~32 teams (two conferences of 16)
D2: USL ~64 teams (four conferences of 16)

Amateur:
D3A: NPSL ~64 teams (eight conferences of eight, bottom two per conference relegated each year)
D3B: PDL ~128 teams (16 conferences of eight, winner of each conference promoted each year)

Reactions: Taurus and adam

Not sure, i'm sure he isn't at the same level he was once at, but is kind of specific type of defender that may not fit into some teams style. His national team career was limited due to this.

He's an MLS vet with European and significant national team experience. And apparently, he's an all-around good guy. Not a bad choice, imo.
I remember when I was a New England supporter, the guy was a stud center back in a 3-man backline. Played almost every minute, was part of a great defense, all of that with like a record low number of fouls and I think he went like 70 matches or something amazing without even a yellow card. In that era of MLS, defenses were all big and athletic guys who succeeded simply with physicality and fouls, not so much on technical skill and positioning. The league has gotten better in that regard, but only so much. He had success because he was extremely smart and extremely technical, not physical, big, or fast. That's the kind of guy that can captain a team, and will probably be a head coach in the league within a few years of retirement.

Really liked the guy and wish we had him the last two years, but he probably wasn't worth his salary anymore.

Reactions: Ulrich
Extremely tangential, but what's stopping the PDL and NPSL from merging into a super-duper-league for amateur squads?

I could definitely see a mature US soccer landscape like this:

Professional:
D1: MLS ~32 teams (two conferences of 16)
D2: USL ~64 teams (four conferences of 16)

Amateur:
D3A: NPSL ~64 teams (eight conferences of eight, bottom two per conference relegated each year)
D3B: PDL ~128 teams (16 conferences of eight, winner of each conference promoted each year)
Simply put, different business models and organizational prowess. I know the owners of our local PDL club, and he said the USL has a bunch of back-end support for it's clubs that NPSL does not have the experience or capability of providing.

I just got a like and reply from the SD MLS group for suggesting a team name of Alto San Diego FC.

Derived from Alta California, it fits the Xolos rivalry right out of the gate, as Tiujana is in the state of Baja California.

"Alto" can mean higher, upper, rising, upward, or loud, so it also fits well in a sporting context.

I just got a like and reply from the SD MLS group for suggesting a team name of Alto San Diego FC.

Derived from Alta California, it fits the Xolos rivalry right out of the gate, as Tiujana is in the state of Baja California.

"Alto" can mean higher, upper, rising, upward, or loud, so it also fits well in a sporting context.
How saxy.

MLS will eventually let all these teams in.

$1.5 Billion in expansion fees is too much money to ignore

In an interview on CNBC, while discussing expansion the Don specifically spoke highly of San Diego and St. Louis.

In an interview on CNBC, while discussing expansion the Don specifically spoke highly of San Diego and St. Louis.

Saw that. He seemed like he couldn't keep the name "San Diego" from coming out. "I can't tell you who the next expansion teams will be, but San Diego..." Later: "San Diego looks good."

As I stated earlier, I think San Diego is #1 on the list, St. Louis #2, and Sacramento #3 at best.