Fifa Corruption

image.jpg

Reactions: Capt.Tsubasa
According to the NYT Swiss police are currently making arrests at the conference in Zurich. No word yet on whether Blatter is one of the people indicted. Hopefully the first step in cleaning up a corrupt, morally vacant organization.

Reactions: LostAnvil
This needs to get more attention on the forum. The US is getting the 2026 World Cup (unlikely), ESPN will be televising the cup not FOX (unlikely). Also, FIFA officials look good in full orange kits.

Footnote to all of this, which could have a major impact on local soccer:
Aaron Davidson, President of Traffic Sports (the company which among other things, played a big part in the re-launch of NASL) and Chairman of the NASL, was indicted as well. If my recollection is correct, Traffic owned the Cosmos brand at one point, and may still in some way be involved. It also would not surprise me if people involved with Sela Sport are eventually brought up in this indictment.
I've speculated before that the reason the Cosmos Elmont stadium proposal has been stalled had to do with corruption concerns. Even though Mr. Davidson likely has no current involvement with the Cosmos that we know of, being the Chairman of the league has got to put the brakes on things. If I am a local or state official, I would want nothing to do with the NASL in any shape or form right now.

Reactions: Z4CH3B99
Does this mean Lampard can play this weekend? All kidding aside, What does this hold for the 2018 World Cup... Even the Women's World Cup? Is everything that's "set in stone" going to go as planned, or are they going to have to blow it all up and start from the ground-up?

Does this mean Lampard can play this weekend? All kidding aside, What does this hold for the 2018 World Cup... Even the Women's World Cup? Is everything that's "set in stone" going to go as planned, or are they going to have to blow it all up and start from the ground-up?
Time will tell, but I would not expect anything too crazy to happen. This may shake up FIFA, but this case won't do anything to the World Cups. Now that the Swiss have opened up a separate criminal investigation about the World Cup bidding, that may change things.
We will likely see some very turbulent times ahead in FIFA, but I would not expect it to be completely blown up.

It has been widely speculated that the Qatar World Cup is in danger due to the corruption charges and the fact that it will be 120*F when the matches are played. They have decided to play the WC 6 months earlier during the Qatari winter but this has angered the individual soccer leagues and federations as they will have to incorporate a break into their schedule. Speculation also goes that if the Qatar is stripped of the World Cup it will be awarded to the USA who was the original favorite to host the cup Qatar was awarded. The USA is a favorite if this happens due to the fact that it already has the infrastructure (stadiums) to host a World Cup on short notice.

From Reddit:

The Times got their hands on the indictment, and report that it names 14 people:

The indictment names 14 people on charges including racketeering, wire fraud and money laundering conspiracy. In addition to senior soccer officials, the indictment is also expected to name sports-marketing executives from the United States and South America who are accused of paying more than $150 million in bribes and kickbacks in exchange for media deals associated with major soccer tournaments, according to one government official briefed on the matter.

Those people include nine FIFA officials:

Jeffrey Webb (Cayman Islands) - President of CONCACAF, member of FIFA Executive Committee

Eugenio Figueredo (Uruguay) - President of CONMEBOL, member of FIFA Executive Committee

Jack Warner (Trinida and Tobago) - President of CONCACAF from 1990 to 2011, former FIFA vice-president

Eduardo Li (Costa Rica) - President of the Costa Rican Football Federation, CONCACAF representative to FIFA

Julio Rocha (Nicaragua) - President of the Nicaraguan Football Federation, FIFA development officer

Costas Takkas (Cayman Islands) - Former general secretary of the Cayman Islands Football Association

Rafael Esquivel (Venezuela) - President of the Venezuelan Football Federation, member of the FIFA disciplinary committee

José Maria Marin (Brazil) - President of the Brazilian Football Confederation from 2012 to 2015, president of the 2014 FIFA World Cup committee

Nicolás Leoz (Paraguay) - President of CONMEBOL from 1986 to 2013

And five sports marketing execs:

Alejandro Burzaco (Argentina) - CEO of Torneos y Competencias, which owns various sports television channels and broadcasted Argentine domestic football matches from 1992 to 2009

Aaron Davidson (United States) - President of Traffic Sports USA, which organizes and handles marketing for a variety of CONCACAF soccer events, like World Cup Qualifying and the Gold Cup. Chairman of the Board of the North American Soccer League, the soccer tier below MLS

Hugo Jinkis (Argentina) - President of Full Play, which owns some sort of rights (I am unclear which ones) to hundreds of South American soccer matches

Mariano Jinkis (Argentina) - CEO of Full Play, which owns some sort of rights (I am unclear which ones) to hundreds of South American soccer matches

José Margulies - (Brazil?) - Margulies is somehow involved with Traffic Sports

Reactions: Z4CH3B99
you know its a big deal when New York 1 is sending a correspondent to brooklyn for the press conference ( though thats probably because its happening here). Still, I will wait and see what happens, i have seen similar things happening before and lead to nothing. It will be good if this leads to stripping the world cup from Qatar and somehow screws blatter as well.

Maybe Figo withdrew too early?

EDIT: also LOL if this screws NASL as well and the cosmos somehow.

Reactions: Ahab_Flanders