Fifa Corruption

Time will tell, but I would not expect anything too crazy to happen. This may shake up FIFA, but this case won't do anything to the World Cups. Now that the Swiss have opened up a separate criminal investigation about the World Cup bidding, that may change things.
We will likely see some very turbulent times ahead in FIFA, but I would not expect it to be completely blown up.
I agree. Unless people inside Fifa start turning on each other, then things could escalate.

Reactions: roxfontaine
I was jumping for joy when I saw alerts pop up on my phone detailing Fifa corruption arrests. Hopefully this sends the organization a message and they are less blatantly corrupt then they were before today.

Loretta Lynch just said:

"The indictment also alleges that corruption and bribery extended to the 2011 presidential FIFA election, and to agreements regarding sponsorship of the Brazilian national soccer team by a major U.S. sportswear company," U.S. Attorney General Loretta Lynch told reporters in New York on Wednesday while providing details about the U.S. corruption investigation into FIFA officials and others.

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/05/27/football/fifa-corruption-charges-justice-department/

yesjacknicholson.gif

Reactions: Z4CH3B99
Wow, big names. Can they get enough from these guys to get Blatter? I wonder
Probably not. The US only has jurisdiction to prosecute crimes committed on US soil, though that can be extended slightly to bank accounts. Blatter hasn't made it a priority of his to tour the USA frequently so it'd be hard to catch him on crimes committed on US soil. That's why most of the people charged were CONCACAF or CONMEBOL. As a result, the most corrupt man in football, Issa Hayatou, isn't in any danger.

Probably not. The US only has jurisdiction to prosecute crimes committed on US soil, though that can be extended slightly to bank accounts. Blatter hasn't made it a priority of his to tour the USA frequently so it'd be hard to catch him on crimes committed on US soil. That's why most of the people charged were CONCACAF or CONMEBOL. As a result, the most corrupt man in football, Issa Hayatou, isn't in any danger.
You think other countries are not going to want a piece of the asset forfeiture pie?

Reactions: Gavin23
Well, he could potentially be in a considerable amount of danger if the Swiss investigation turns up anything. He'll also be in a boat load of danger if he made any illegal money transactions through US banks. I believe that the U.S. considers American banks to be part of American soil.

Last edited:
You think other countries are not going to want a piece of the asset forfeiture pie?
Perhaps, but it seems unlikely. They haven't in the past, and maybe that could change but there's always a lingering fear of internal retribution and the US theoretically has the least to lose and the most to gain. Also, the Swiss investigation is run by a Swiss prosecutor so they probably wouldn't be able to get too much from US prisoners. That's just my impression, I'm not familiar with international laws on criminal interrogation and information sharing.

Perhaps, but it seems unlikely. They haven't in the past, and maybe that could change but there's always a lingering fear of internal retribution and the US theoretically has the least to lose and the most to gain. Also, the Swiss investigation is run by a Swiss prosecutor so they probably wouldn't be able to get too much from US prisoners. That's just my impression, I'm not familiar with international laws on criminal interrogation and information sharing.
The U.S. Can share information with the Swiss. I don't think that there's a limit on information sharing.

The U.S. Can share information with the Swiss. I don't think that there's a limit on information sharing.
True. What I'm wondering is more along the vein of can the US allow the convicted parties to be interrogated by the Swiss prosecutors, because the US does have laws against the forceful obtaining of evidence of crimes not charged them. For instance if you are arrested for aggravated assault, the government can't run an investigation of your apartment to find out if you've been dealing illegal substances. If Blatter was a part of a deal with one of the accused, and the accused pleads guilty and calls him out that could be shared, but I'm not sure the US can interrogate any accused parties about crimes Blatter has committed if the crimes were not included in the charges which mainly deal with the Gold Cup, Copa America, etc.

As soon as US dollars are used in money laundering/racketeering/corruption The FBI can get involved. Too many other crime agencies in other countries have been too scared of FIFA, although the BBC have been running programmes for years over corruption. Hope they get torn a new one in Sing-Sing or where ever prison they end up in!!!:mad: