FIFA World Cup 2018 - Group D (Argentina, Iceland, Croatia, Nigeria)

So, if I am reading this correctly, Argentina need to beat Nigeria by 2 goals or more and hope that Iceland does not beat Croatia.

If Iceland does beat Croatia, and it does so by the same number of goals that Argentina beats Nigeria, then Iceland advances. If Iceland beats Croatia by two goals or less than the amount by which Argentina beats Nigeria, then Argentina advances. If Iceland beats Croatia by one goal less than Argentina beats Nigeria, then the goals scored tiebreaker controls and after that the disciplinary tiebreaker.

All of this is just a theoretical exercise anyway, since there seems very little chance that Argentina can get its act together enough to do anything but lose.
Ehh, I have a feeling Argentina will pull it together against Nigeria. I didn't watch the first half, but Nigeria wasted a ton of chances in the second half by just pulling the trigger on shots outside the box. If they had made a few extra passes, they could have scored 6. And I don't think I'm exaggerating.

I don't think Argentina will lose to Nigeria, but Nigeria could perhaps hold on for a draw. Which would keep Nigeria ahead of Argentina, but brings into a play of Iceland beating Croatia by 2 or more goals.

Reactions: Midas Mulligan
Not sure how mascherano has been allowed to stay on the field with blood running down his face???? Even talking to the ref face to face he is not told to leave the field

Reactions: 413Blue and LionNYC
Not sure how mascherano has been allowed to stay on the field with blood running down his face???? Even talking to the ref face to face he is not told to leave the field

And it's not even dry blood. He's still bleeding. The referee should not ref another game at this World Cup. It's something that is serious for youth games. How it's not taken serious for the biggest games is appalling.

Maradona with the double bird after the goal is definitely meme worthy.

Screen-Shot-2018-06-26-at-20.51.17.png

Last edited:
And it's not even dry blood. He's still bleeding. The referee should not ref another game at this World Cup. It's something that is serious for youth games. How it's not taken serious for the biggest games is appalling.
I mean, to take him off would put Argentina down a man for a bit with a very dangerous Nigeria. Add to it that horizontal arm that definitely changed the direction of the ball in the box not being called a PK, and it seemed a bit like certain powers were pulling for Argentina to advance.

Don’t even think it’s a tin foil hat idea either.

it seemed a bit like certain powers were pulling for Argentina to advance.

Don’t even think it’s a tin foil hat idea either.
I agree, almost like a higher power was pulling for them. That's a colander hat idea.....

speaking of which how is your relationship with the flying spaghetti monster? Perhaps you'd like to join our church?
upload_2018-6-26_16-46-5.png

Was everyone against Argentina advancing in this one, or just me?

I watched Messi, with the world cup and probably his legacy on the line, do a whole ton of walking in the second half, even in possession in the attacking half.

Reactions: Ulrich
Apparently the Nigerian supporters. Class.
definitely mouthed puto. This is a good ref. shocked he let them play with the blood and didnt call a hand ball. You could see him pointing the the head then the arm as if he was saying it wasnt intentional. I guess I could get behind the no penalty call.

Reactions: Gotham Gator
definitely mouthed puto. This is a good ref. shocked he let them play with the blood and didnt call a hand ball. You could see him pointing the the head then the arm as if he was saying it wasnt intentional. I guess I could get behind the no penalty call.
Not arguing with you, but using your post as the lead in.

I don’t buy the “not intentional” reasoning. It’s like when an elbow hits the opponent’s face on a contested header. The arm went up, was outstretched, and has nothing to do with heading the ball.

Damn. I'm a France fan if you don't count USA, and Argentina are my favorite South American side (after having spent a half a year there in 06) didn't really want to see them play so early. Guess the glass half full POV is I at least have one team in the last 8.

Reactions: mgarbowski
Reactions: Schwallacus
"No llores por me Argentina!!!!
Rojas the hero for Argentina. and Armani a solid brick wall. ( to many of us Argentina's fans its still incomprehensible Why Sampaoli did not switched goalies after that Garrafal error (blunder of blunder's) of Willy Caballero) in Arg Vs Croatia game ????
Today The Argentinos played with their heart, souls and lives. ,What a fingernail biting game.
Ole, Ole, Ole. . .
Vamos che to the next round !