Galaxy Postmatch

giphy.gif

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.li...everton-fc-defender-phil-jagielka-8005932.amp

Reactions: JayH
Agreed that Jack would have fared better with Tinner, but at the same time there's things I'm seeing that lead me to believe Medina will be better all-around.
  • Jack often suffered from tunnel vision - 1v1 and step-overs all day long.
  • Medina seems to be more of a team player, aware of all available options in the final 3rd.
  • I don't think Jack (successfully) makes that run that led to Villa's goal.
  • Medina seems to have a good defensive work rate.
    • Pretty sure he made a tackle or two way over in Sweat's jurisdiction.
Completely agreed on this. I rewatched the first half last night; consider my ticket punched for the Medina hype train.

I think yes. And I am saying that anticipating that Jack would have continued to improve.

FWIW Jack is an $8 Million rated player and Medina is a $4 Million rated player. We k ow those numbers are BS, but the output of Medina is what I expected of Jack this year. On one hand, this makes me happy. On another, imagine both those guys on this squad.

There's two ways to look at lateral. One is of equivalent value, and the other of equivalent characteristics. Jack was much more of a dribbler than Medina, but tended to dribble into traffic and centralize the flow of play sometimes. Was physically strong and difficult to dispossess, bit it sometimes took him a while to decide what to do going forward. He could not carry a team, in the sense of getting the offense into shape. Medina has much better vision, thinks and moves very fast, and is going to rack as many assists as goals IMHO. At this point as see Medina as likely to run into the penalty area for a Maxi assist as the opposite. I think it's going to be an improvement.

I had to watch the highlights again this morning because I was quite inebriated last night.

Damn Medina looked good. The run that set up the second goal was I think what we've all expected to see from him, but his passing (the first through ball to Villa that led to the first goal and the pass to Villa in the second half that Villa skied) was fantastic.

Ibeagha looked great, but he needs to change his last name. I fumbled every time I tried yelling it out last night for a solid play. I still wasn't particularly comfortable with him in possession or passing, but he owned the air. Great signing it appears.

Herrera had a much better game, and had two great chances that I hope he learns to finish on. But they were great runs to get himself into position. The first shot that went off Bingham's foot and redirected into his face, I thought at first could have broken Bingham's nose. On a cold night, that one really had to hurt.

I will start to eat some crow on Sweat. He looked very, very good going forward last night and I didn't realize it to the extent until this morning how involved he really was. I do agree with Midas Mulligan Midas Mulligan on his 1v1 defending, its still awful. On the first half save that Johnson made on Kamara's shot, it was Sweat that got beat really bad that led to the cross.

Also, I know some people were assigning blame for Jona's goal in the second half, and I'm not saying we shouldn't be assigning blame for that, but that was one hell of a touch from dos Santos to put it in the net.

Going over some key points this morning, it occurred to me that the second goal last night was the second time in 2 games that we defended an opponent's free kick straight into a breakaway chance. Last week we did it at the end of the first half, leading to that play where Vila was dispossessed on the 3-on-1. I'm not sure we did something like that more than 2-3 times all last year. I hope we keep it up.

Medina has replaced Harrison.

We're the same team as last year except Tinnerholm is the best RB in the league.
My read on it thus far is that Medina is a more clever attacker than Jack. That might seem like a hot take just now, but I think it will hold true. Where Jack was good was running straight at his marker, that was his party piece, and it worked a treat until it didn't.

Medina seems to vary his movement and passing far more.

Don't mind repeating myself again and agreeing with you that Tinny is freaking great.

We're almost at a level where I think we should just go balls out to try to dominate every team. Leave it to Callens and Ring to sort it out at the back and go hell for leather in attack.

ETA:
This
Medina’s passing
and the movement is excellent. He doesn't stand still or only make runs into the box. He was circling back and making over/underlapping runs that CDMs and CBs have to step toward. The result of that is more time and space for the man on the ball to pick a pass. That is key to why we looked better in final third possession and why we might actually score a few goals that aren't pure counter-attacks.

Last edited:
What were people's thoughts on Ofori last night? I didn't really pay a whole ton of attention to him, so I may go back and watch the condensed match to get a feel for it.

Didn't show much. The interesting part was that he played on a line with Herrera as a CM rather than at DM. Had a couple interceptions and a tackle, 7/8 passing, but also an embarrassing giveaway leading to a foul in a dangerous area. Otherwise he was just kind of there.

One other thing from the second half last night, I remember at least 3-4 successful crosses where there was no one who made the run to the back post to dunk it in. If only there was another forward they could put on who would make that tactical run...

Blowing the Nordic horn and calling the Viking...

One other thing from the second half last night, I remember at least 3-4 successful crosses where there was no one who made the run to the back post to dunk it in. If only there was another forward they could put on who would make that tactical run...

Blowing the Nordic horn and calling the Viking...

Yeah, this was a problem after Medina came off for Ofori—nobody seemed totally sure how the four-man midfield was supposed to work. Maxi was vaguely covering the right wing in addition to his usual position but wasn't playing high enough to make those far post runs.

Reactions: Ulrich and canchon
Going over some key points this morning, it occurred to me that the second goal last night was the second time in 2 games that we defended an opponent's free kick straight into a breakaway chance. Last week we did it at the end of the first half, leading to that play where Vila was dispossessed on the 3-on-1. I'm not sure we did something like that more than 2-3 times all last year. I hope we keep it up.
The only other time that we did this that comes to mind right now was in the inaugural season against Orlando. Kaka free kick off the post, Mix and Poku lead the break to put us up 5-3.

One more thought - I'm in the Maxi doesn't have the final product often enough camp for sure, but I want to credit him where he is due. If he were 4-5 inches taller, he'd be Iniesta.

I watch way too much footy, and I will confidently say that he has an elite touch and ball control - possibly as good as anyone in the world (yes, anyone). Just watch him receive the ball and how quickly he brings it under his spell. It's incredible. As a matter of fact, I would argue that he makes Ring in particular 2x as valuable. Ring is hammer, and he doesn't turn it off after he wins the ball. He usually smashes a pass right at Maxi. If Maxi weren't so talented at controlling the ball, a fair number of turnovers Ring creates would come right back at us. As is, Maxi often takes difficult to receive balls and uses his skill to beat the first defender with a crafty touch.

Unfair for us not to point that out more and appreciate it.

Can anyone make sense of Vieira's answer about why he took Medina out again fairly early. It starts around 2:12. here's my attempt at a transcript. It's nonsense:

"You know I just take him off. I could take off Rodney or I could take off David a bit more early. But I just feel like, uh, I felt like he was, you know he was just, the game I needed more time to play this 90 minutes."

Last edited:
And I still don’t get people slacking on Wallace. If you don’t see why he starts, I just can’t be messageboard pals with you. The guy is just a general menace. If he could finish, he’d start for 15 PL teams.

Has to be a Lewis fan club thing at this point right? Anyone that's still down on Wallace isn't watching his game they're just looking at a guy keeping their guy off the field. I wouldn't trade Wallace's crazy work rate and all around game for an attacking upside only player in Lewis. Let other people score, Wallace and Ring are the engine if this team.

My only worry with Wallace is that his work rate is barely sustainable across a game let alone a season. Hopefully PV does better with rotation this time around so come playoff time Wallace isn't a shell of himself.

Yeah, this was a problem after Medina came off for Ofori—nobody seemed totally sure how the four-man midfield was supposed to work. Maxi was vaguely covering the right wing in addition to his usual position but wasn't playing high enough to make those far post runs.

Exactly. There was one instance where the ball flashed across the front of goal and Maxi was covering the right side but stopped around the top of the 18. A forward/winger would most likely have made that run. He runs to the back post and it’s a tap in.

Not blaming him for that as that’s not his role.

Last edited: