General MLS Discussion

what team changes their captain all of a sudden while the former captain is still there? not counting those teams who swap captains like musical chairs.

can't imagine ring would willingly say "ah yes .. you are the future, take the captaincy".
Gary Neville, Gaby Agbonlahor and Neymar have all asked out of captaincies at various times. Fergie kept Neville in to maintain balance among his bigger egos, but the other two voluntarily stepped aside. Not saying this happened in Austin but it's far from unprecedented.

What it all boils down to is... It's a shitty fucking name.

It doesn't roll off the tongue quickly or easily, and so far there is no widely recognized shorter form.

That they haven't embraced 'The Lou' as their nickname is a shame.

Nelly weeps.

Reactions: gbservis
Could that just be Spanish vs. Cuba?
Probably. It's apparently Catalan, so maybe some who came to Latin America switched it to a more common Spanish pronunciation. Watching LAGvLAFC yesterday I was wondering who "pooch" was and how that name was spelled. When I saw "Puig," I was very confused.
I think the author Manuel Puig (Argentina) is also pronounced "pweeg".

Does anyone understand the LA Galaxy fan boycott over team performance? They're off to a terrible start, but the protest was organized and began during the offseason. Last year they had 50 points, finished 4th and had a home playoff game which they won. They were one of the last 8 teams to have a chance to win MLS Cup last year. That's not bad at all. Vanney is a solid coach.
Chris Klein has been team President since 2013 and sure, I can see it might make sense to try something new. They won the Cup in 2014 and not since, after previously getting 5 cups in 10-11 years. But that's not sustainable.
Sure, we have individuals who want everyone fired all the time, and larger groups of discontent with every 3-4 game slump. But an organized boycott? Are Galaxy fans just jealous of LAFC? Are they too spoiled from the era when they won every other year? Or is this reasonable and I'm off base?

Does anyone understand the LA Galaxy fan boycott over team performance? They're off to a terrible start, but the protest was organized and began during the offseason. Last year they had 50 points, finished 4th and had a home playoff game which they won. They were one of the last 8 teams to have a chance to win MLS Cup last year. That's not bad at all. Vanney is a solid coach.
Chris Klein has been team President since 2013 and sure, I can see it might make sense to try something new. They won the Cup in 2014 and not since, after previously getting 5 cups in 10-11 years. But that's not sustainable.
Sure, we have individuals who want everyone fired all the time, and larger groups of discontent with every 3-4 game slump. But an organized boycott? Are Galaxy fans just jealous of LAFC? Are they too spoiled from the era when they won every other year? Or is this reasonable and I'm off base?

I was trying to understand the same. I found this summary helpful in listing what the fans are upset about:

Some issues do seem legitimate but as you said they have been mostly competitive over the time frame they are complaining about. Their expectation that LAG should be winning more championships because of their history comes off as entitled whining to me. I'm sure getting upstaged by LAFC hasn't helped. At some point, they need to come to terms with the fact that this isn't MLS 1.0 where they are the exclusive crown jewel of the league that will outspend everyone and has special rules made for them.

My cynical TLDR: Entitled fans base that has been coddled by the MLS for years can't come to grips with the idea that things have shifted and they have to compete on an even playing field now and as such they won't be winning a title every other year.

I was trying to understand the same. I found this summary helpful in listing what the fans are upset about:

Some issues do seem legitimate but as you said they have been mostly competitive over the time frame they are complaining about. Their expectation that LAG should be winning more championships because of their history comes off as entitled whining to me. I'm sure getting upstaged by LAFC hasn't helped. At some point, they need to come to terms with the fact that this isn't MLS 1.0 where they are the exclusive crown jewel of the league that will outspend everyone and has special rules made for them.

My cynical TLDR: Entitled fans base that has been coddled by the MLS for years can't come to grips with the idea that things have shifted and they have to compete on an even playing field now and as such they won't be winning a title every other year.
Thanks. That does add some context, and I agree it's a mix of legitimate beefs and unrealistic expectations.

Reactions: Schwallacus
Yes, that was an interesting review of the "issues". Some of them are legitimate, and when a team with their history misses the playoffs, the fans have a right to complain. But how many times did a season end with a desultory "lost in the semis". If it's not a good year when you're one of the last four standing, then you are entitled.

I think the biggest issue is that they've been little brothered by LAFC. It's one thing to slip from a lofty perch. It's another when your biggest rival is perceived to have pushed you off the perch. That LAFC has won two supporters shields, one cup and knocked the Galaxy out of the playoffs multiple times has to be infuriating. I am sure the Red Bulls hate that we've won a cup, but we've never faced each other in the playoffs.

a little sad there's no NYCFC to watch this weekend, but glad the boys are getting a well deserved break.

time root for our enemies to lose?

a little sad there's no NYCFC to watch this weekend, but glad the boys are getting a well deserved break.

time root for our enemies to lose?
Who are the enemies? We're in ninth, and 7 points separate third place from twelfth. Outside of east|west games, I don't know who to root for.

Last edited:
Who are the enemies? We're in ninth, and 7 points separate third place from twelfth. I outside of east|west games, I don't know who to root for.

Oh it's not about standings.. just root for NJ, Toronto, and Philly to lose. Always 😂

Last edited:
MLS is running MLS 360 for free on YouTube tonight. I'm checking it out myself -- I'm curious to see what the full wraparound actually looks like. (Curious to see how many tune in, too.)

I recommend muting the audio while you watch and listening to something else. I've got a Latin lounge music playlist on