General MLS Discussion

No real changes into 2024...

No changes for 2024, except Miami has been given the do whatever you want clause. When asked for comment Garber said "Well there is precedent for the do whatever you want allocation for one team. We did it for years with the galaxy, it's been a while since we did it so we thought it was about time we brought it back. We looked across the league to try to find a good team to give that clause to and Miami's cap situation looked a little Messi, I mean um messy so we thought they would be a good fit for this privilege."

Reactions: FootyLovin
No real changes into 2024...
I think these two are cool:

Maximizing effective match time, the Timed Substitution Rule requires that a substituted player exit the field within 10 seconds. Failure to exit from any point on the field within the 10 seconds will cause the incoming player to wait for a 60-second holding period, before entering the game at the next stoppage. During the holding period and prior to the substitute entering, the team will play down a player. Exceptions to the rule include injury and goalkeeper substitutions.

Pending International Football Association Board (IFAB) approval, VAR decisions will be announced by the referee to fans in stadium and viewers at home.

I do like the new rule that scoreboards in stadium will be able to count through stoppage time. Checking my watch and guesstimating in the stadium was always such a weird thing when the broadcast shows stoppage time. I never understood why they didn't display it.
I didn't know it was a rule and figured it was just a custom that survived from the 19th century. To the extent there was a reason, I believe it was meant to deter players, coaches and fans of the leading team from demanding the game be stopped as soon as the added time is reached, regardless of post 90 injuries or subs.
It caught me unawares the first time I attended a match in person, because they always show the added minutes elapsed on TV. I have come to sort of enjoy the ritual of starting a timer on a watch or phone just as the clock hits 90, but I also won't miss it.

Now we just need to fix the way hockey has game clocks that count down, but reports goal times as if the clocks counted up.

Last edited:
I think these two are cool:

Maximizing effective match time, the Timed Substitution Rule requires that a substituted player exit the field within 10 seconds. Failure to exit from any point on the field within the 10 seconds will cause the incoming player to wait for a 60-second holding period, before entering the game at the next stoppage. During the holding period and prior to the substitute entering, the team will play down a player. Exceptions to the rule include injury and goalkeeper substitutions.

Pending International Football Association Board (IFAB) approval, VAR decisions will be announced by the referee to fans in stadium and viewers at home.

I don't like the "holding" period. I think it's solving a problem that doesn't exist in terms of: If a player takes too long to leave the field, the referee should just add the time on. We are fixing problems that would be fixed if referees would actually just add time at the end of matches.

What about when a player has scored a hat trick, is getting a standing ovation, and acknowledges the fans? Now the team has to play a man down for a minute because of that? It's silly. The best way to maximize effective match time is to have the referee add time at the end of the half.

Reactions: JCMore
I didn't know it was a rule and figured it was just a custom that survived from the 19th century. To the extent there was a reason, I believe it was meant to deter players, coaches and fans of the leading team from demanding the game be stopped as soon as the added time is reached, regardless of post 90 injuries or subs.
It caught me unawares the first time I attended a match in person, because they always show the added minutes elapsed on TV. I have come to sort of enjoy the ritual of starting a timer on a watch or phone just as the clock hits 90, but I also won't miss it.

Now we just need to fix the way hockey has game clocks that count down, but reports goal times as if the clocks counted up.
I did also kind of enjoy starting a timer on my phone but damn I would get so mad when I would realize maybe a minute or two in that I forgot to start it.

I don't like the "holding" period. I think it's solving a problem that doesn't exist in terms of: If a player takes too long to leave the field, the referee should just add the time on. We are fixing problems that would be fixed if referees would actually just add time at the end of matches.

What about when a player has scored a hat trick, is getting a standing ovation, and acknowledges the fans? Now the team has to play a man down for a minute because of that? It's silly. The best way to maximize effective match time is to have the referee add time at the end of the half.
He can acknowledge the fans after he walks off the field too? I understand we all have great feelings and wanna show appreciation as players walk off the field, but that shouldn't have to hold up the whole game, as much as we like that sentimental aspect of it...

I was when I read the headline.

Fuck. Does that mean I'm "older"?

Double Fuck!!! Does that mean I'm North Carolinian???
I also suspect many below a certain age would be confused by the reference. I've read a few articles, and checked X and Reddit and I can find no other reference to this coincidence. OG Dean Smith is a North Carolina legend. Easily top 10 most famous/admired people in state history, and CFC hires a guy with the same name as coach and nobody says, "hey, look at that!?"

Reactions: FootyLovin
Maybe it was just too obvious? I thought of a lot of good jokes to post on Twitter and ultimately didn't.

- They should have read more than the first line of his resume.
- Too bad the other candidate's name was Mike Krzyzewski.
- It's as if Ted Lasso had been a basketball coach first.
- Wait 'til they realize it's not really him.

I don't know. I do kind of think they're should have been more commentary on this.

This is a podcast from Sportico, the MLS evaluation section begins around the 17:20 mark. Interesting information that MLS used to keep 33% of ticket revenue but dropped it to 10% last year (around 22:00 mark) . The other interesting comment is that MLS might consider a Player Acquistion fund (27:40). a throw away comment, but interesting.

Reactions: KevinJRogers
Not to clog up the NYCFC Jersey thread, Portland’s kit with the white pine needles is so cool. I hate when the design puts the crest in the middle of the kit. But I love the pine branches. Really unique. Adidas did a really good job across the board this year. It makes me think of like 2017/2018 when every other team had basically a plain white kit and there was a fan uproar.

Edit: After a closer look it’s a mix of different pine and fir trees. Not just white pine

Attachments

• IMG_4537.jpeg
    IMG_4537.jpeg
    547.4 KB · Views: 13
Not to clog up the NYCFC Jersey thread, Portland’s kit with the white pine needles is so cool. I hate when the design puts the crest in the middle of the kit. But I love the pine branches. Really unique. Adidas did a really good job across the board this year. It makes me think of like 2017/2018 when every other team had basically a plain white kit and there was a fan uproar.

Edit: After a closer look it’s a mix of different pine and fir trees. Not just white pine
OK tree guy